CrazyBoards.org

America ---->Australia

Seroquel isn't subsidised unless the psych writes that you have schizophrenia, for up to 6 months for acute mania, or maintenance for bipolar 1(has to be written on the script, and Medicare has to be called to give authority to prescribe, this is called an Authority PBS script), Buspar is only subsidised for short term anxiety (Authority PBS script) and Klonopin is only subsidised for neurologically proven epilepsy (Also needs authority to prescribe, an Authority PBS script). http://m.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/4144D.html

http://m.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/9205L.html

http://m.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/1805B.html

Not saying those are the doses, but it says the same for every dose. 

Well, I qualify for the Seroquel for maintenance treatment, pdoc says I have Bipolar I with Psychotic features. Is that just medicare restrictions though too? Because I'm going to have a good private healthcare plan that includes pharmaceuticals benefits. And if they take away my Klonopin, well there's others that I can take instead. 

Pretty sure private health insurance will only cover so much and only if the med isn't on the PBS, but I guess you could do your own search regarding that, and its best to call the insurance company directly about their exact pharmacy benefit policies and mental illness coverage, as I hear a lot of them are pretty sketchy on psych stuff. 

Again, good luck. I would be booking to see a psych as soon as you arrive, or ASAP thereafter, because the waiting list is quite often months long. 

Well, I qualify for the Seroquel for maintenance treatment, pdoc says I have Bipolar I with Psychotic features. Is that just medicare restrictions though too? Because I'm going to have a good private healthcare plan that includes pharmaceuticals benefits. And if they take away my Klonopin, well there's others that I can take instead. 

I have bipolar and live in Australia. I take Seroquel and Lamictal without any problems getting them at all. I have to pay full price for the Lamictal but it's not very expensive. I'm pregnant at the moment but prior to that I have been on Clonazapam (called Rivotril here) for years.

i live in NSW and the public system here is horrible but if you have private health insurance, there are many wonderful places. 

I think you'll find that things won't be as bad as you're imagining, definitely not with your health insurance 

I have bipolar and live in Australia. I take Seroquel and Lamictal without any problems getting them at all. I have to pay full price for the Lamictal but it's not very expensive. I'm pregnant at the moment but prior to that I have been on Clonazapam (called Rivotril here) for years.

i live in NSW and the public system here is horrible but if you have private health insurance, there are many wonderful places. 

I think you'll find that things won't be as bad as you're imagining, definitely not with your health insurance 

You have no idea how much I needed to hear that,  thank you!