CrazyBoards.org

Is gynecomastia(man boobs) reversible once u stop taking the drug ?

So my question is does the gynecomastia(man boobs) which develop in some patients who r on antipsychotics such as paliperidone/risperidone reverse once you stop taking the drug ? I know its caused by prolactin.

So will the enlarged man breasts disappear and come to normal size if you stop taking the drug or switch to some other antipsychotic which is less likely to increase prolactin? Are those man breasts permanent ?

Edited by clinic

I'm almost certain it does, it will just take a bit of time for your body to adjust to the lowered prolactin levels again. Similar to your fat levels. Increase prolactin levels should only have permanent effects on your bones if they've kept high for years of being on the drug but man boobs will decrease, I do believe.

This is from a site about lawsuits. Just the first that came up. I am sure there are better sources. Most of the info was aimed at boys.

http://www.drugwatch.com/risperdal/gynecomastia/

Treating Gynecomastia

Mild to moderate cases of gynecomastia may resolve themselves with discontinuing the use of Risperdal or Invega. Switching to a safer, prolactin-sparing antipsychotic medication becomes an option at that point. Unfortunately, drug-induced breast enlargement can become a persistent condition, especially in cases of severe breast enlargement.

If gynecomastia is persistent – meaning that enlarged breasts remain for a year or more – doctors can suggest surgery to normalize breast size. Many men and boys have had to undergo standard or laser-assisted liposuction, male breast reduction surgery or mastectomy to resolve male breast enlargement.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if I was too harsh before in my response.  But I have gynecomastia caused by Risperdal and it did not go away just because I quit the Risperdal with permission from psychiatrist.  It persisted and gets slightly worse every time I'm on antipsychotics.  I'm an adult male.  It's very embarrassing and i think the doctors don't take it seriously enough as a bad side effect. 

I am very skeptical about it going away with males.  Once you get extra flesh there it's just not magically going away. 

The prolactinemia (the hormone condition) might go away, but the breasts are the damage that is there to stay until surgically removed. 

Edited by Nystagmus

I apologize if I was too harsh before in my response.  But I have gynecomastia caused by Risperdal and it did not go away just because I quit the Risperdal with permission from psychiatrist.  It persisted and gets slightly worse every time I'm on antipsychotics.  I'm an adult male.  It's very embarrassing and i think the doctors don't take it seriously enough as a bad side effect. 

I am very skeptical about it going away with males.  Once you get extra flesh there it's just not magically going away. 

The prolactinemia (the hormone condition) might go away, but the breasts are the damage that is there to stay until surgically removed. 

How many days after starting Risperdal did u notice gynecomastia ?

How many days after starting Risperdal did u notice gynecomastia ?

Unfortunately, I don't remember; it was back in 2005.  But when my pdoc verified it, he said, OK let's take you off of Risperdal.  And that's when I titrated to Geodon.  I had other problems from both of those meds though, so I'm not on either of those anymore.  But to give you some kind of a guesstimate I'd say I was on it for 6 months, but don't quote me on that; I just can't remember for sure.  But the gynecomastia from that never really went away.  It looks worse the heavier I get but when I get skinny it's noticeble too because my belly doesn't hide the chest area of my shirts.