CrazyBoards.org

Carzy Bear Introduction

The Bear is a retired criminal defense lawyer that somehow managed to keep bipolar symptoms and career separate and not get disbarred or anything. I've been on everything from ECT, tricyclics, SSRIs, SNRIs, Lithium and atypical antipsychotics. I retired early, and things seem to have gotten worse. (No surprise) 

Recently, I started counseling -- he just listens, but I find it helpful. 

I just started Latuda, which was a real pain at first, but seems to have a lot of potential. (I'm on a very tiny dose.) My doctor is cutting me back from duloxetine (Cymbalta) with the goal of getting rid of it due to sexual side-effects I have put up with way to long. The plan is eventually to be on just the Latuda and lithium. (My blood level was 1.5 last week after a dose increase, but we're back down to something less uncomfortable and scary after my pdoc lowered my dose to what out was originally.) Lithium is demon repellant and helps keep me from killing myself.

My pdoc is a big fan of ECT, but I only made out through one session. I woke up before I was unparalyzed and had to be bagged for several minutes before I could breathe on my own. That's a hard thing to get over.

I used to have a hard time accepting I was mentally ill, but when I started seeing and smelling things that weren't there, it made the mood component easier to accept. I have gone back and forth on the whole meds issue. Sometimes I read stuff and psychiatry seems so bogus to me. Most of the time, here I am, the record's playing and I'm lining up for my pills (figuratively speaking). I've signed on for the long haul.

Hi Bear, and welcome to CB! I'm glad you found us. I'm also glad you are getting what seems to be good treatment. That ECT episode does indeed sound scary though, and I can see why it would be hard to get over.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or any other staff member, and we will do our best to assist. Once again, welcome.