CrazyBoards.org

Exactly how dumb am I?

I woke up with a migraine this morning. I couldn't even get out of bed. I took 800mgs of Motrin, 1 Norco, and 1/2 a promethezine and went back to sleep for an hour or so. When I woke up the migraine was "tolerable". I couldn't feel my pulse in my head anymore, so that was a good sign. Over the course of the day, it seemed to get worse. In the last 6 hours, I've taken 2 1/2 of a Norco to equal 1 whole Norco, and at 4pm I took 400mgs of Motrin. I was so desperate for relief. Yes, I have Imitrex injections, but I'm a big baby and I hate needles and shots, and I only resort to that if I am REALLY desperate. While I was thinking of what I could take to give me some relief(shoulda just took the shot), I remember I had previously been given Imitrex pills before I got the injections. I ran to my room to find them. I found them. Unfortunately they expired in September 2014. Also unfortunately that made no difference to me at the time. I took it anyway. While I'm happy to report my migraine is gone, I'm having a weird heartburn. Heartburn is probably the least of my worries after taking a almost year old expired pill. So I must ask, exactly how dumb am I? What kind of consequences am I looking at here? 

I think it's mostly the potency of the medication that declines with time. I've taken pills 8 years old without any ill effects (that I know of). I don't suggest you do that, just saying that you'll likely be fine on pills < a year beyond expiration. You might do well to call your pharmacist and check, for peace of mind.

Edited by Flash

:shame: Thank you all! At least I won't have a panic attack tonight questioning whether I'm going to die or not. The pill must of still been pretty effective. The remnants of my migraines were gone within 30 minutes of taking it. Motrin didn't work, even my narcotic pain pill Norco didn't even make a dent. Imitrex knocked it right out. 

My husband used to work at a company that made meds. The expiration dates were basically the point beyond which they would no longer do yearly assays to make sure the med was still stable. So basically, the last year that batch of imitrex was tested by the drug company was 2014. Some meds obviously last longer than others, but I sincerely doubt a year is going to matter.