CrazyBoards.org

Something similar to Wellbutrin

I've been on Wellbutrin 75mgs twice a day for 2 weeks now. I have a pdoc appointment tomorrow and I'm about 99% sure that the Wellbutrin is going to be upped. The only problem with this, is that the Wellbutrin has made my migraines significantly worse. My migraines went from maybe 1 every other month, if that, to now; I've had 1 every week that I've been on it. That's a pretty high increase. I'm willing to stick it out for now to try to get to full mood benefits from a higher dosage of Wellbutrin, but if the migraines continue; it will just not be worth it.

The main reason I wanted to try Wellbutrin is because so many people said it was so amazing for depression and it gave them energy during the day, which I am seriously lacking. So my question is: Is there any medication besides Wellbutrin that could also give me these "wanted effects"(I don't know what to call it). Maybe something similar to Wellbutrin, but it doesn't have to be. Just something that also has the same effects that I wanted out of Wellbutrin. Any help, suggestions, or advice would be great!

There is nothing like Wellbutrin. It is unique. And it's not possible for anyone to say which AD will give you the effects you desire with minimal side effects. Meds affect everyone differently. 

The one medication that comes to mind is an MAOI called Parnate. Sometimes it tends to be too activating for some people.

Thank you! I will be compiling a list of medications to talk to my pdoc about if Wellbutrin keeps making my migraines worse.

There is nothing like Wellbutrin. It is unique. And it's not possible for anyone to say which AD will give you the effects you desire with minimal side effects. Meds affect everyone differently. 

I know everyone reacts different. I'm just looking for suggestions. I'm going to give the higher dose of Wellbutrin a chance first, but if the migraines keep coming, then I want to have some options to have to talk to my pdoc about.

The closest thing I've tried out of all the AD's would have to be Brintellix.  It's activating / stimulating in the same way and lacks sexual side effects, and not a typical SSRI.  I was on Wellbutrin and Effexor previously and switch between that and Brintellix currently.  If those "wanted effects" you're talking about are the energy / motivation / increased productivity (that's what I get from Wellbutrin at least) then yeah this would be my recommendation for the best alternative.

Yep. Wellbutrin is so different among mainstream AD's in that it doesnt touch serotonin and works on norepinephrine and dopamine only. Which is why its known for being more stimulating. What release formula are you taking? Immediate Release, SR, or XR?