CrazyBoards.org

Abilify and relationship with Pdoc

Sitting here next to 8 weeks supply of generic apripirazole / abilify 5mg which my quack gave me but I can't bring myself to take it.     The side effects scare me.   I am obsessing and ruminating about this a lot; before I would tell you that is my OCD coming out but now I wonder if it is just my personality as I was recently identified  as having Asperger's.

Apparently aripiprazole will help my depression and social anxiety, but I'm not convinced.   I'm scared of weight gain (loss of control over eating), movement disorders, increased anxiety, sudden death, etc.  It all sounds a lot more hardcore than the SSRI/SNRI/Tricylics/MAOI/Benzos I have tried.

Honestly I have posted so often about this issue on this forum over the last few years, you must be sick of me, even I'm sick of me.   I need to get the depression/MH issues under control so I can live a better life,  but my fear of medications and reluctance to try anything is a barrier.  Even I'm getting bored of myself. 

It doesn't help that I don't trust my PDOC at all.  I really wanted psychotherapy as I have issues going back to childhood, issues about my weight and body, relationships, chronic pain.... the list is long.  But they wont let me access it yet, they have decided I need "social skills training" for the ASD ( I'm sure their decision has nothing to do with the cost of a few sessions of this vs 2 years of psychothreapy...:rolleyes:).  The problem is I can just about get by socially, however I find it exhausting.  I'm introverted anyway and with the ASD on top I'm never going to be a social butterfly.   I don't need lessons in eye contact and shaking hands, I need my low self-esteem tackled, I need to understand how I let go of childhood stuff from 20 years ago, how I accept my body, how I accept my physical state (pain, reliant on meds for the rest of my life), etc, etc. 

Edited by crazyguy

Is it possible to change pdocs? Have you tried being blunt and saying you want a referral to try psychotherapy? Maybe try making the argument that the combination of meds and therapy is more effective than either alone.

As far as Abilify... I've been on it for around a year. I have gained no weight from it and have noticed no change in my desire to eat. I have a very small amount of akathisia but it's controlled with 2mg Cogentin. Abilify definitely helps my depression and anxiety. It was supposed to be a temporary med for me when I was in the washout period preparing to take Parnate (an MAOI). My life went downhill when I tried to come off it, so here I am. It helps. 

I hope you can overcome the trust issues. The fact is, whether you trust your pdoc or not, Abilify is a safe med that makes a huge difference in many people's lives. It has a very favourable side effect profile. Just because you try it doesn't mean you have to take it forever. It takes about 2 weeks to see any difference in mood (it works faster for psychosis). If you take it and get unreasonable side effects you can stop. 

Is it possible to change pdocs? Have you tried being blunt and saying you want a referral to try psychotherapy? Maybe try making the argument that the combination of meds and therapy is more effective than either alone.

I agree with Geek.

I've been on Abilify for 12 years and it saves me ... no weight gain, and it calms my mind down, making the hallucinations less.  It took me 7 weeks to get its full effect.

All I can say is what I've said before: Abilify changed my life. I have never had a med that lifted my depression the way Abilify has. I've never had a med that gave me motivation the way Abilify has. I haven't had any side effects either. Well, I did have some nausea for the first few days, but that went away soon enough. To the extent I've gained any weight, I'm pretty sure I can blame the mirtazapine, not Abilify. I did not get akathisia either, but if I had gotten it, it is treatable.. Movement disorders are rare and even rarer with Abilify (because it is a partial dopamine agonist and not flat out antagonist), and presumably you will not be taking a high dose (greater than 15 mg) so your risk will be low.

As far as your pdoc, even though your pdoc might be terrible and you don't trust him, I think he was right to prescribe Abilify because it is a good med. I do think that it is important to have a pdoc that you can trust so I encourage you to try to get a referral to another pdoc. I know that is easier said than done on the NHS.

I've been on your dose of Abilify, and I found it to be extremely helpful for my delusions. I did not get any side effects and even lost weight on it. I suggest you try the Abilify, and if you get horrible side effects, ask to be taken off it. There's no harm in trying.

I've been on your dose of Abilify, and I found it to be extremely helpful for my delusions. I did not get any side effects and even lost weight on it. I suggest you try the Abilify, and if you get horrible side effects, ask to be taken off it. There's no harm in trying.

^^Right ... and you won't know how it affects you unless you try.

First, I think a fear of meds is normal. These drugs are powerful and, if you are like me, you are always concerned with what you put in your body. That being said, Ability was a great drug for me. It is suppose to be weight neutral and that was true in my case. For cost reasons I had to switch to risperdal. So far I haven't gained any weight from it, but I monitor my calories very closely. 

Therapy sounds like a no Brainer so I don't understand tthat all. Iwould keep pushing get this and continue to explore your options. 

First, I think a fear of meds is normal. These drugs are powerful and, if you are like me, you are always concerned with what you put in your body. That being said, Ability was a great drug for me. It is suppose to be weight neutral and that was true in my case. For cost reasons I had to switch to risperdal. So far I haven't gained any weight from it, but I monitor my calories very closely. 

Therapy sounds like a no Brainer so I don't understand tthat all. Iwould keep pushing get this and continue to explore your options. 

On a side note ... I think there is generic abilify out now.  Not sure of the price, but if it isn't out yet it will be soon.

So what should I expect the first time I take it?    Like with an SSRI i get almost immediate anxiety rush of energy, etc.  Will I notice an immediate effect?

Has anyone experienced movement disorders and did they happen right away? 

So what should I expect the first time I take it?    Like with an SSRI i get almost immediate anxiety rush of energy, etc.  Will I notice an immediate effect?

I think I was very slightly sedated the first day I took it, but I can't be sure because I might have imagined it. In subsequent days, any sedation I might have had went away, and I did get some anxiety. I had a little nausea at first but that was gone within 3 days. Abilify did not work immediately for me. It took 8 weeks to work. And when it worked, it was pure bliss. That bliss went away for me within 2 months, but it still has a very positive effect on my mood.

I never experienced any movement disorders. As I mentioned they are rare except perhaps for akathisia which is very treatable. I did not get akathisia however so it is not a forgone conclusion. 

The first time I took the pill I didn't feel much.  I was a little tired, and the voices kind of slowed down, but it took awhile for it to feel a full effect in me.  I never experienced movement disorders on abilify.  I started at a really low dose ... maybe 5 mg ... and worked my way up to 45 mg.  I felt an effect more and more as the dose went up. 

I find Abilify sedating. I take it at bedtime. Other than making me sleepy, I didn't notice any effects on my mood for a couple of weeks. I think 2-3? As it improved my mood I got some akathisia but that was easily controlled by cogentin and like Flash's, it is almost gone now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well my lack of trust in my Pdoc no longer matters as they have fired me as a patient after I raised concerns about the way I was treated at my last appointment.  Funny thing is Dr called me back for another appointment, we smoothed things over then 3 weeks later I get a letter saying I will no longer see you.   

The person I've been referred to for daily help I have met once...... seems nice enough but my initial feeling is  probably as much use as a chocolate teapot.  

Well my lack of trust in my Pdoc no longer matters as they have fired me as a patient after I raised concerns about the way I was treated at my last appointment.  Funny thing is Dr called me back for another appointment, we smoothed things over then 3 weeks later I get a letter saying I will no longer see you.   

The person I've been referred to for daily help I have met once...... seems nice enough but my initial feeling is  probably as much use as a chocolate teapot.  

I'm sorry he fired you.  Just because you asked some questions?  WTF?

Maybe it is for the best that you are seeing a new pdoc now.  I hope you end up liking the new person you have for daily help.  Initial feelings about people are definitely important, but sometimes it takes a few appts to get to know a new person.