CrazyBoards.org

Depressed and allowed to be euthanised

As someone who has been suicidal before this really worries me as having these thoughts is not the result of the mind making a conscious decision but rather the mind being sick and not thinking rationally. So I really wonder about the state of her mind and if she is getting adequate treatment. I know how tough clinical depression is and I do understand the suffering she is going through and not wanting to take anything away from her suffering but there are lots and lots of people out there who suffer just as worse. 

http://europe.newsweek.com/healthy-24-year-old-granted-right-die-belgium-329504

I feel bad that doctors are making this an option.  I am not sure whether I am right or wrong.  It presents a moral conundrum for sure.  I sure hope the practice doesn't reach the United States.  I think too many vulnerable people will throw their lives away given a weak moment.  

I feel bad that doctors are making this an option.  I am not sure whether I am right or wrong.  It presents a moral conundrum for sure.  I sure hope the practice doesn't reach the United States.  I think too many vulnerable people will throw their lives away given a weak moment.  

Isn't it legal in Oregon, Washington state, and Vermont?

http://www.deathwithdignity.org/advocates/national

Isn't it legal in Oregon, Washington state, and Vermont?

http://www.deathwithdignity.org/advocates/national

Not for mental health indications.  You've got be pysically dying to start out with for it to be legal in the US.

There's always a new generation of meds that work a little bit better than the last ones.  There's always new discoveries in the understanding of human psychology and neurology that advice treatment options a little bit.  it's a slow ride, but after being in treatment for 20 years I've definitely seen it.

You can see change over decades for sure.  It just seems so slow in between, lol.

Older meds often get pulled from the market as much as new drugs.  Hell I took serzone years ago.

I do not believe in euthenasia in cases of MI because a person has to be rational to make such permanent decisions.  Dont you think? 

Terminal illness such as cancer, or where there is such physical suffering, I do believe in voluntary euthenasia.

And mental suffering means nothing? That's what it sounds like when you don't allow this choice for someone with a mental illness that has got absolutely nothing, or not enough, out of treatment. 

In the time for newer treatment advances they could very well end their life in a much more painful, violent way, because they can't take the suffering anymore. 

I'm sorry but I don't see this as a good thing.  Having had long-term depression and having felt hopeless for a long time.  And having gotten better anyway.  Feeling that way is part of the illness, but  I don't think you can know that any depression is hopeless.  It's just not one of those illnesses that's predictable that way.  I think it sends absolutely the wrong message to people who are struggling with chronic depression.  It confirms an idea that their illness makes them prone to believe that is just as likely untrue as not. 

I believe in death with dignity, but in cases that are truly hopeless, not in cases of depression.

I think it sends absolutely the wrong message to people who are struggling with chronic depression.

I could not agree more. Just read a very long article in The New Yorker about euthanasia in Belgium. These doctors are KILLING people with depression and bipolar. Parents bring their KIDS to be killed.  I was HORRIFIED. Absolutely apalled. Been meaning to post a topic on this. Did not read your article Kate so I don't know if it is the same. This is the link to the article I read. It is mainly about a son who was gobsmacked that some fucking doctor killed his depressed mom.  

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/22/the-death-treatment

I am all for death with dignity. And truly believe in the way they are handling this in Washington State. I have a relative who has presided over more than one death. The whole family is involved. The patient drinks the potion themselves. They are NOT killed by someone else. And they must have the support of their family and be in control of their mental faculties and obviously, very close to death.  The experience is as beautiful as possible for everyone involved. 

What is happening in Belgium is completely and totally against every tenant that developed the term Death with Dignity.  Dr. Distelmans has become someone who is far removed from those who seek his help. He has decided to be the hand of God. That is extremely dangerous and destructive for the family and friends left in the wake of his 'murders'.   

If I had had the option to (legally, if it was legal) kill myself years ago, I might have done it because of all the crap people put up with, with me.  I felt like a burden. 

Now though, I am alive and very glad I am.  I would have wasted a life (mine) that might have made a difference somewhere with someone or something.  And now, despite the ups and downs, I still want to be alive.  I don't like having the MI, but I still am glad to be alive.  I hope these thoughts never change.

Pretty simple. Because they are depressed, not stupid or a vegetable. 

You don't have to be stupid to not be of sound mind. When I went through a period of severe depression I was psychotic and therefore unable to make rational decisions. Yes there are people with depression who have not lost their minds and can make conscious decisions but what about the ones who can't?

To be of sound mind, means to have adequate understanding and to make reasonable decisions. 

Rationality, is the state of making reasonable decisions with evidence of proper reasoning. 

How do you know this woman, or any depressed person, does not have the ability to understand their own situation and the decisions and choices that they make, and that the evidence they pose in regard to their current situation is not reasonable or within reasoning? 

You don't. Unless you actually listen to the person. You shouldn't be able to deny someone rights just because they are depressed, that is like saying they are insignificant and their suffering means fuck all because you can't see it. 

If the person is legally deemed irrational and not of a sound mind then fair enough, this isn't the best decision or one that should be allowed. But the person should be given the right to prove their rationality and not just kicked to the curb because they are depressed. 

I always thought that for someone to be able to make the decision to be euthanised they had to be of sound mind when making the decision? If so how would it work for someone who is severely mentally ill and doesn't have the ability to make a rational decision at that time?

This is what VE was talking about above ... it is not for mental health indications.

Not for mental health indications.  You've got be pysically dying to start out with for it to be legal in the US.