CrazyBoards.org

Dealing with low energy and boredom

Since my mood has improved, I've been having problems with boredom. I get bored easily, yet I don't have the energy to do anything about it. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?

I'm in a similar boat as you. Since I've leveled out, my energy levels have dropped a lot. I used to exercise every day and when I began treatment I thought it would be a good idea to put this knowledge and love of exercise to good use, so I enrolled in a certificate program for fitness instruction (you know, in the hopes that whatever stability treatment brought would allow me to get through the program). Long story short, my energy levels dropped so much that I've barely exercised at all in the last year and have put on like 50 lbs. It fucking blows. (Funny. Sad. A bit of both. But it can't be good for whatever 'career' may come of this exercise certificate thing.) Some days I struggle to get out of bed in the morning simply due to lack of energy/motivation. I used to be up everyday between 3 and 5 am. Now it's more like 7 or 8... sometimes closer to noon. As for coping, I really have no suggestions. I usually just throw on some music and attempt to rock out for a bit. Or else I just sit there doing nothing.

It's good to know it's not just me. I've heard of people getting their energy back first (.and therefore being at a higher risk for suicide), but I don't hear a lot about the reverse. It has been two or three months now like this. I tried Ritalin, but it mostly just makes me sleepy as it wears off. My pdoc mentioned Provigil, so maybe that's the next step.

I have this problem sometimes. I usually just try to find things to do that don't take much effort, but will help ease the boredom a little. My usual go-to activities are watching videos or playing video games (especially easy ones!) But everyone has different coping strategies and different low energy activities they may be interested in. 

Maybe a med tweak could help? 

I get bored too sometimes.  Not as often these days, but when I do I start to clean (mainly dust) because once I start I don't want to stop ... usually that will get me a little tired, enough to sleep.  That can take up a lot of time, the sleeping.  Sometimes I "find" people to call, not friends IRL but for any other reason I can find.  ie credit card companies to ask a stupid question, or whatever. 

But I have to be careful because when I get bored and start to do a lot things, I don't want to slip into hypo/mania, which has happened before.

Since my mood has improved, I've been having problems with boredom. I get bored easily, yet I don't have the energy to do anything about it. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope with it?

Sometimes I get kinda restless. I wouldn't say I'm bored but maybe close to it on top of being restless?

I have a list of coping skills that I keep handy that I'm supposed to look at when I feel that way. 

I mostly listen to music, do crafts, or go on the computer. I have appointments every week too like individual and group therapy and meeting with my case worker. So all that usually keeps me pretty busy anyway.

I like to get out of the house so sometimes I even just go to the library to look around or to knit/crochet. It's fun to look at books but I can't concentrate well enough to read any. But it is nice to get out around people. I do this at coffee shops too.

Just some ideas. Hope that helps!

To deal with my inability to get things done, my tdoc suggested that I make a list each day of things I'd like to get done and then try to get two of those things accomplished.  It feels good to be able to mark things off a list.  I put all kinds of things on the list including fun stuff like painting.

When I'm bored, I usually try to get out of the house and go to a flea market or a hobby store.  Maybe you could make a list of things you enjoy doing that you could pull out when you're bored.

I get very restless when I'm bored, so for me the key is to do projects that can be worked on in brief spurts before being temporarily abandoned again. You can get a surprising amount of housecleaning and other chores done that way, but for recreation, I find puzzles are the best.

When I'm bored but don't have energy (which happens a lot), I try to find intellectually challenging things to do such as learning new subjects or working puzzles, etc. And if you keep yourself intellectually challenged, it will also help with cognitive problems due to meds and the illness.

• 2 months later...

Yes, this has just started happening to me. It's a really foreign feeling. Ever since my moods have started leveling out, I feel this way. Maybe even a little restless. I hope things have gotten better for you since you posted. 

Yes, this has just started happening to me. It's a really foreign feeling. Ever since my moods have started leveling out, I feel this way. Maybe even a little restless. I hope things have gotten better for you since you posted. 

Thanks. I managed to get into TV mood lately, so that has helped. At some point I'll probably get sick of TV, though. I see pdoc on Tuesday and am going to ask for Provigil again. 

• Like 1