CrazyBoards.org

Interesting question. As a jeweler I've seen a lot of people develop sudden allergies to jewelry they've worn for years without problems. Often it means the piece needs a really good cleaning, as some funk ha built up in the links of the chain or under the insides of a ring. But changes in body chemistry can do it, too. Do you notice that your sweat smells any different since you've been taking lithium?

I had just given it a cleaning with blue cleaner, the kind you put on and rinse. They were shiny clean. My s/o says my BO has been "tangy-er." Now they look black and pitted. It's a holy medal so it looks positively demonic.

It's odd that the stainless steel would react. Stainless is used in things like medical alert bracelets, things people need to wear all the time, specifically because it's non-reactive. Also used in body-piercing jewelry. The silver is less surprising. Silver loves to oxidize and pit.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything I can tell you that will prevent this from happening if your chemistry really has done something weird. You could try to find a local jeweler who'd be willing to rhodium plate your stuff and see if that helps, but it's expensive and a lot of jewelers won't touch a project like that. You could probably find one to make the medal into a keychain fob, and if you want to wear a necklace, I'd try titanium.

Kind of related, but no explanation for the tarnish, I developed a *bad* allergy to nickle about 10 years ago. It is so bad that when I had surgery on my foot, and they used screws with nickel in them, I had to have a second surgery once my foot was healed to take them out. My whole foot was an inflamed, itchy mess.

Sometimes, stainless steel had nickel in it.

I wear a stainless steel ring and silver necklaces/earrings pretty much every day and I've been on lithium for quite some time. They seem normal and I don't even shine them. I don't think lithium would be the issue.

I would make a note that one time I tried shining a silver plated ring with a strong cleaner and it just stripped the silver right off and destroyed the whole ring. I think this might have been because the ring was really cheap.