CrazyBoards.org

Another Breakdown

Hi all,

I had another breakdown at the beginning of June that began with me overdosing and trying to drown myself in the sea. I have been in hospital for a month now. I have tried many medications and therapy all have failed. I am now awaiting ECT. Not very hopeful.

I'm sorry you are going through all of this!  What meds have you tried?  There are LOTS of med combos out there that could possibly work for you.  One med might not work but that coupled with another one might, ie.  But don't give up!

I wasted a lot of time and insurance money on meds, before having ECT. I wish I had just went straight to ECT. It changed a lot, quickly, for me. It worked really well (I had 6 unilateral treatments) and kicked in fast. I didn't lose any memories. The time I spent in the hospital is a bit fuzzy (I was IP for 6 months, one month is fuzzy) and I had a bit of a headache after, which I was given plain old tylenol for. I left the hospital on less meds than I had ever been on, and stayed out of the hospital for 5 years, going back once for a med tweak due to a mixed episode.

I had a positive ECT experience. Within a month of being discharged, I had a job and then moved out of my parents. I went back to college and did well, Dean's list. Currently I'm going back to school for a trade (welding) in September. I haven't had a depressive episode since the ECT (except for situations, like when my grandparents passed away and such) and have been a lot more stable. I tend to swing up (hypomanic, haven't had a full blown manic episode since a year before ECT) or mixed, but not as much. It did nothing for psychosis, but that's pretty common, especially since I only had 6 treatments. 

It saved my life. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in a very similar situation to yourself, no meds or therapy could touch my severe/suicidal depression, it was literally bulletproof for 6 months. Even in hospital I couldn't get out of bed and when the staff finally coerced me to get up, I quickly found a way back to my room, ignored the nurses pleas/requests and stayed in that routine for several months. The hospital psychiatrist was even considering lithium and I had never been bipolar or shown tendencies, thankfully he chose ECT. I also wish they had gone straight to ECT instead of messing around with all the other medications beforehand, but many doctors see it as a treatment of last resort, when really, it needs to be viewed as another option for severe depression. 

I remember having 6 sessions and had huge gains in terms of coming back to reality, I couldn't remember much about the treatment days themselves, but otherwise I was fine memory-wise and was discharged around 2 weeks later. 

The only cautionary advice I would say is because of the rapid recovery back from severe depression via ECT, I was on a high, "glad to be back". While it is good to celebrate that kind of success, I personally became a bit arrogant, where I felt I could literally handle anything afterwards, including choosing to come back into contact with those initial breakdown triggers, I knew what mine were. In retrospect, I would certainly have chosen differently... so hopefully you can benefit from my mistakes ("learning experiences"), but even after all that, I still bounced back. 

Edited by bacon_slippers

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just thought I would let you all now I ended up having 12 ECT sessions and felt a lot better.  I was in hospital from 4th June until 1st September.  I've had quite a few good weeks but also bad days.  But the good days outnumber the bad days which is progress.  I've been told ECT can always be an option again if necessary.  It's great to find a treatment that has had some effect.  I'm on lithium now too.  I'm not working at the moment but hope to do something part time in the future.  I have a lot of worries about accommodation at the moment but it hasn't pushed me over the edge yet.