CrazyBoards.org

Told that BPD is a state of being not a disorder that can be treated

Well the title says it all. Like Borderline Personality Disorder is the end of the line cos it ain't curable as an illness but I'm stuck with it as they don't know how the f~~~ to fix it. Just wondering how many others had diagnosed BPD  and have not the foggiest what it might mean long term, or even next week... Love to all here cos I been here loads under different name cos shit hit the fan... maz

It's actually a misconception that BPD is lifelong or even stable over time.  The research shows that even without treatment, many people with BPD will improve with age just due to the natural course of the illness.  And with treatment people do very well.

I don't know who told you that BPD is the end of the line, but they were incorrect.  I had it in my early 20s and now I don't meet criteria anymore (so my psychiatrist says).

Ps- Hi Charlotte and welcome to CB.

The site is indexed by Google and other search engines. So if you're using your real name and photo, you might want to consider changing them for your privacy.

In my experience and opinion, DBT is the best form of therapy to treat people with BPD.  Personally, I was first diagnosed when I was 16.  Then the diagnosis changed when I was around 21, then changed back when I was 28.  For me it seems to be a cyclical thing.  I don't believe that it's ever gone away, but how I cope has changed over time.  It's always there, but I have long periods of being okay, and long periods of being not okay and having to relearn my DBT skills because frankly, I stop practicing them when I feel okay.

If you heard this from a doctor, get another doctor.  Not only is it treatable, research shows (as someone else mentioned), that BPD tends to decrease with age naturally without any intervention at all.  So imagine how the prognosis is WITH treatment.

I will say that there is a stigma attached to this particular diagnosis and I'm not really sure why.  I've had therapists refuse to take me on as a client because of my dx.  They just didn't want to work with me.  That's without even speaking to me.  It's bullshit.

• Like 1

I had symptoms of  Borderline Personality Disorder (not sure if it was traits or actually full blown BPD) when I was a teenager. By the time I was in my mid twenties I no longer met the criteria. BPD is not a lifelong condition that cannot be fixed. I am now 38 and have not had any traits whatsever in a decade. My pdoc told me it tends to improve or go away with age.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be treated succesfully. You can recover.

I was diagnosed with BPD last year. Even over the course over a year, I have significantly improved. Friends and family tell me that I am getting better, more positive and stable, as so I feel! Slowely but surely, we'll get there.

In my experience and opinion, DBT is the best form of therapy to treat people with BPD.  Personally, I was first diagnosed when I was 16.  Then the diagnosis changed when I was around 21, then changed back when I was 28.  For me it seems to be a cyclical thing.  I don't believe that it's ever gone away, but how I cope has changed over time.  It's always there, but I have long periods of being okay, and long periods of being not okay and having to relearn my DBT skills because frankly, I stop practicing them when I feel okay.

If you heard this from a doctor, get another doctor.  Not only is it treatable, research shows (as someone else mentioned), that BPD tends to decrease with age naturally without any intervention at all.  So imagine how the prognosis is WITH treatment.

I will say that there is a stigma attached to this particular diagnosis and I'm not really sure why.  I've had therapists refuse to take me on as a client because of my dx.  They just didn't want to work with me.  That's without even speaking to me.  It's bullshit.

I too have had therapists and doctors refuse to work with me. It's very disheartening so I know how you feel. I was kicked out of several doctors offices, - though never a shrink. Although, my current shrink increased how many times I have to come per month, knowing full well, that I am struggling financially, as a Machiavellian move - to get me to leave his practice. But, it didn't work. I somehow found the funds - and I keep going. There are very few good psychiatrists here and most don't accept insurance, or are not accepting new patients. Or, will squeeze you into their schedule in six months - by then I might have expired. So, I understand. The medical community acts shamefully towards those of us with mental illness. They oftentimes make it worse.

Although, I am writing on the bpd subgroup - my formal diagnosis is adhd, bipolar, gad and major depressive. Most of the time I am psychologically normal - until someone in my family drops dead, or something else traumatic happens.

I just tell the psychiatrist what is necessary and receive my prescriptions and go. Sessions last ten minutes. New Medicines are helping a lot- taking Fetzima now which is working well. A game changer.

- but still suffering from some side effects - profuse persoiration, dizziness and quick to anger. But, I have always been quick to anger. The pros of Fetzima are that they give you loads of physical and mental energy. I am being creative again. Feel calm and boy oh boy, when I do in fact fall asleep after a 48 hour stretch of nonstop go-go-go - I sleep like Mary's Little Lamb. 

Maybe be my input on Fetzima will help someone else.