CrazyBoards.org

After a bout of impotence and also a small gynecomastia (but big enough to require surgical removal), my T was tested and was found to be fine (just a few points above average for my age). I felt emasculated and dead so I messed with chems   I hated testosterone; it made me hate myself..... but DHT was The Best antidepressant that was ever in my blood. DHT.

my memory says 625 for me. If I were an MD, I'd try DHT on a subset of male patients. I'm sorry, but there are no words to describe what DHT does. It doesn't feel like a drug, it feels being alive.

My endocrinologist prescribed me testosterone, but it did nothing for me and I was very afraid of the side effects. I realize that not everyone gets those side effects, but I was not willing to risk it for something that did little to help me.

I hope it makes a difference for you.

• 2 months later...

265 is only normal range if your 80 or 90 years old.   And THAT might be normal but its not good.  Without dredging up crap I would rather not...  No having your hormones right is almost (for sure) going to put you into depression.  In my *cough "Understanding" of this, your mood gets bad.  Your energy tanks, your sex drive....... wha? and those are the good things about not being 90 years old and having levels at 265.

When you start.  Get retested in a couple weeks.  Don't wait 6 months to find out your levels are exactly the same as when you started.  *It replaces what you made.  It has to do what you were doing and more and doctors always start at the lowest dose = months of thinking why am I wasting time with this its useless.

Be aware your going to have more energy, might get a little bit loud for a while (The Yippie Oh Boy! and I feel Human!!) not to mention the "Get out of my way!  I have energy to do shit!" stuff.  Then there is sex drive which can be great as long as you have a SO who appreciates lots of attention and isint already off with someone else or angry that you didn't do this earlier.

Hal,

i have been on trt now about 4 months and it has helped but my doctor has not checked my levels again, I did ask but she wants to wait until the 6 month point. I get 1ml a week every Monday and some weeks feel better than others. Are you on TRT now? If so how much are you on?

• Like 1

My recommendation, as with all matters glandular, is to see a good endocrinologist -- you mention your doctor, but don't specify what kind so I'm assuming your primary care physician is treating you.

These are the sorts of problems they specialize in, and I think you'll find them more aggressive about treatment.

If you're at 4 months and you think its helping but could perhaps be doing more, that seems like a reasonable reason to test your levels sooner than 6 months. For what it's worth, my endocrinologist checks every 6 months and adjusts based on lab levels and how I report I'm feeling.

• 6 months later...
On 9/24/2015 at 11:39 AM, Benchmade80 said:

Hal,

i have been on trt now about 4 months and it has helped but my doctor has not checked my levels again, I did ask but she wants to wait until the 6 month point. I get 1ml a week every Monday and some weeks feel better than others. Are you on TRT now? If so how much are you on?

Sorry I get like 98 notifications when I log in and I guess I missed yours.  

My history with hormones is a long complicated mess.   A long time ago I went into the Docs and was told I was having depression but that depression and hormone problems (Not just Testosterone but Thyroid  etc etc) all can do that.   Not that you can't have both btw.   Anyhow I went on HRT and I felt a ton better.   Mental clarity, mood, sex drive (went from Zero to some) a lot of good stuff.  After a very short time I went back to crapsville because what I took added to what little I made until what I made adjusted down to zilch (Its like a loop.  The more you take the less you make) and I ended up with about the same crap low levels.   So - I went on more and that taught me that you don't need to wait months to see where your at.  Its not like antidepressents that might take 6 or 8 weeks to have the desired effect.  If your doing rub on gels it changes your levels straight away and doing labs in a couple days should be (I think?) be the same if you do them in 6 months.   

My insurance sucked so to save money I went on injectables.  That was also compilcated.  My doc was going by some really old thinking which was to inject a huge amount and repeat in 4 weeks.   That made me go from super way to much levels   *Think turning into the Incredible Hulk - Hulk SMASH! kind of thought process   to normal for a week or two.  Then down to nothing where I wished a bus would run over me.   And of course this Dr Jeckel Mr Hyde thing did wonders for my home life.   If you do injectables you have to do lower doses and do them more often (Like weekly) to have a reasonable chance of normal levels.   Or stick with the daily rub on gel or cream stuff lie Androgel or Fortesta.  

Then...... I learned about aromatase.   This is where your body decides that your suddenly normal Testosterone levels should be converted into abnormally high Estrogen levels.  SIGH....  Thats fun if you like bursting into tears for the first time since 5th grade because of a chick type movie?  Not just mental / emotional changes but physical ones like fat moving to your hips, breast development etc.  Fortunately my GDoc wasn't just looking at my Testosterone levels so I missed that.   So... Thats another thing to keep an eye on.  My endo put me on a small dose of Arimidex and that keeps the conversion turned down.  Men need estrogen, just not massive truckloads of it.

I'm babbling again.   Don't be scared off by my experience.  I think Androgel was just coming out and this wasn't at all common.  If you need it (I think) you will be happy to get it but just be sure you know what your doing and be sure you work close with your doctor if your going to do it.   Be aware that some people get this super feeling of OMG is this great when they first go from low to normal levels.  In my experience and from what others tell me this euphoric period is a one time thing.  I would ask your GDoc to reconsider waiting months to do labs.

And while there is no proof that going on HRT will "cause" prostate cancer if you have cancer?   Or the gene or whatever is the cause is in you?  Its like gas to a flame so when your doing regular hormone labs INSIST on having a PSA done so if you do have to deal with it you can do it before it goes too far.   And "F" all the reports saying prostate cancer is not so serious.  I think "Wait and see" is = lets spend less money on health care by letting you croak.  And based on my observations its an awful way to go.  Two of my family got prostate cancer and died in fairly short order. 

I fon't know if your GDoc likes it when her patients study up on things like this but if she is ok https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2701485/

Maybe find something that you can both talk about.   Shorter then this link.

On 7/3/2015 at 9:51 PM, Benchmade80 said:

Have at of you guys ever had your testosterone checked? Mine was low recently 265 and reference values were 250-1200. It supposedly can cause all types of problems with your mental health, I started TRT therapy 2 weeks ago.

It also appears to clog veins and mess up the brains ability to think clearly from what I've read.

• 1 month later...

I think fiddling with the drug that dials down the testosterone conversion to estrogen has fixed my Chronic fatigue.  It maybe time to try doing without Adderall!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I had really low testosterone levels and I started using Androgel last summer.  It didn't do anything for my depression or weight.  But after a few weeks I started feeling like a teenager again, my sex drive came back.  It makes me horny all the time, which is pretty frustrating without a girlfriend.  I also notice that when I exercise I have much more endurance than I used to.  I do like how I feel on it, but unfortunately once winter hit its effects went away and I slipped into my typical winter depression.