CrazyBoards.org

Close family and friends, yes. People outside that circle, no, not unless it's utterly necessary. I had to disclose mental illness to my thesis supervisors and I ended up having to be a little more specific because they didn't quite comprehend the seriousness of it until I eventually elaborated that it was bipolar with psychosis. They've been pretty understanding of my situation since. 

Do you tell people in your life who don't know of your diagnoses and if you do , when do you tell them of your diagnoses, what do you tell them ? 

If someone asks I'll tell them, only because the question after that is something like 'what do you do?', and I don't want to lie and then cover my tracks.  I'm bound to mess up somewhere and the truth will come out at one point.  But I wont go up to someone and just tell them I have a MI.  But if asked I will tell them.

I've become more open about my diagnosis. One of my Facebook friends put up a post about depression and that started a really interesting conversation. I opened up about having schizoaffective and the experiences and hospitalisations I've had. People who I've never met in real life were so supportive and encouraging and were thanking me for speaking up - and talking about it is something I believe in because if we want to fight the stigma we should be willing to talk to those who want to listen about our experiences and show that we aren't scary people like society has been led to believe.

My family knows and three of my friends know. I'm just told them how it is really although just a few things, I've worried that it might sound quite blasé. They all know I've been psychotic, probably psychotic depression, some know that I'm on antipsychotic medication. I've said to them that while it certainly isn't fun, it sounds scarier than it actually is - at least for me. I actually try to avoid saying "I'm psychotic" because people like to make the mistake of linking that to being psychopathic; I opt for using psychosis instead. Besides for me, all the while I'm medicated I'm not really all that psychotic.

There are good lies and bad lies I was told. In this case, lie and don't tell them about ur MI because ppl will judge u 

and cos there is huge time stigma ppl with MI. Of course close ppl that u feel comfortable ought to know so they

are more understanding why u act the way u do.

My family knows I get psychotic but my friends don't.  My family knows only because I was obviously psychotic in front of them. They accepted it pretty well. 2 of my children have also been psychotic. It has just never come up with my friends who all know I am bipolar mainly because they wanted to know why I was in the hospital so I told them. My friends never ask me details of my mental illness and that is fine with me. It seems like so much of my life is my mental illness that I don't mind that my friends want to talk about something else. But if they asked I would tell them. I am not too worried about stigma. I don't work and I don't care what anyone outside my family thinks.

I don't work and I don't care what anyone outside my family thinks.

Same with me. 

If I lied, eventually it would catch up to me and I'd end up telling the truth anyway.  So might as well just start off by telling the truth, and if they don't like it, make comments (bad), etc, I don't want them in my life anymore.

Only my husband and parents know about the SZA dx. 

I don't tell people because of stigma and I just think it's a privacy thing.

If I do tell others I say I'm bipolar because I think people understand that better and I think people judge people with SZ disorders too harshly. BP is judged harshly too though. So I don't know. It's not easy to know what to do.

I haven't had an open discussion with my extended family about my mental health but they do know i take medication for it my friends know im a little crazy tho but they dont judge me.I was recently in hospital because the doc put me on some meds that didn't agree with me and my heart was doing funny things long story short my family were there to support me, transport me and bring me yummy food all without a hesitation or judgement ...love you fams :)

I have thought about telling some people, but then I ask myself... Is this person mature enough to handle it? Unfortunately the answer is usually no. 

This specific thing of 'is this person mature enough to handle it' came up the other day with me.  Sometimes it is hard to tell, so what I do if Idk what to do, I just don't do it.  If I have to question myself about whether to tell someone about my MI, I usually don't.  Part of it is because are they mature enough not to spread the info to the entire universe or not.  Like if they are on FB or something.  Everyone connects there, so you tell one person, and you might as well have told 10 (or however many) more people.

I had a phase where I was really honest about it and would tell some people pretty early on.  It worked out ok back then.  My feeling was that there's too much misinformation and stigmas about schizophrenics because of the ignorance, so it's better to be honest and up front. 

Lately, though, I don't tell people about it and I think it's better to talk about it.  That way they don't get messed up silly ideas based upon television or their own nonsenses. 

My family knows and my best friends know.  I once told an acquaintance and they immediately told me about me about their ex and how crazy he was when he got off his meds.....so I haven't told any other acquaintance since, which is hard because I don't know what to tell ppl when I tell them I just moved back home.  I've told them I moved back home because of a personal crisis---I guess that suffices? hey i just rhymed...