CrazyBoards.org

Am I/ was I a sociopath?

I think no one on these boards are supposed to diagnose you, you're supposed to see a professional for that.  But.. I can say that personality disorders are usually diagnosed from the age of 18 onwards, from which point you seem to have been more neurotypical..  Maybe you qualified quite thoroughly for some kind of childhood conduct disorder.  But yes people do recover from personality disorders, sometimes naturally overtime.  Yeah its also possible that you do have some residual traits even if you do not qualify for a full disorder.  These could also diminish over time, but you may want to seek professional help if they impact your daily life significantly.

I hope that was of some help!

Apple

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll proceed with getting a diagnosis, the worst of it is really over now, a bad memory, I just need to get a stable job now I think. I have been pretty depressed as of late over it.

I think I'm incredibly lucky I have the parents I have, they are really two of the nicest people I know. If I was raised in another setting I could have turned out much worse - nature/nurture. 

It's just, at one point, I had nearly every possibly trait a sociopath could have. 

What are the traits you attribute to sociopathy and where did you get the list from? I'd be interested to see it.

The closest diagnosis to sociopathy these days is antisocial personality disorder and you've not listed one trait of that. Apple briefly mentioned conduct disorder which is a diagnosis made before someone reaches the age of 18. You might want to look that up and see if any of the symptoms sound familiar from when you were younger. A majority of people stop having problems with conduct disorder once they reach adulthood, it's only a relatively small percentage that go on to have AsPD/sociopathy/psychopathy, whatever you want to call it.

Diagnostic criteria for AsPD - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder#DSM_IV-TR

Diagnostic criteria for psychopathy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy_Checklist#Items

Have a look at those two resources and see if you think you fit the criteria.

That's a bit of a strange site. Most of it appears to be paraphrased from various sources, I was kind of hoping it was going to be a unique detailing of sociopathy, but it seems that the author is using "sociopath" instead of "psychopath". I always get curious when someone uses the term sociopath as it's so outdated, I'm really not too sure why it's still used. The only thing I've assumed is that there is some sort of inherent difference between sociopathy and psychopathy, but no resource I've ever found has been able to pinpoint a difference. Even Hare can't make up his mind on the terminology.

I'd say that the inclusion at the end of the site regarding the "malignant personality" is a bit off. Initially, the site looks to be a useful resource, but then quotes what can only be described as sensationalist, scaremongering writing. It really has no place on a page that is trying to define a personality disorder. To be fair, a majority of resources regarding the condition give completely false information, so I can't say I'm surprised to see it.

As for the "Other related qualities" you listed, it's the first time I've come across a majority of them. The site author is a bit vague about where they got them from. The author mentions the psychopathy checklist (Hare and Cleckley), but if you compare it to what I linked to above citing the PCL-R, a lot of them don't feature or even loosely relate to the original criteria. Theodore Millon proposed 5 subtypes of AsPD which are rarely, if ever used. A couple of the related qualities are listed in those I think.

In regards to the first set of traits though, the ones that are pulled from the PCL-R (grandiose, lack of empathy etc), when did you stop experiencing them? It seems from what you said that it was around the age of 18, but I could be reading that wrongly. Did you also take a look at conduct disorder that I mentioned?