CrazyBoards.org

So... I did something kind of bad.  When I saw my pdoc 6 months ago, she accidentally sent through a request for 400mg of Seroquel instead of 300, realized her mistake and resent it with the correct dosage.  I said I would make sure the dosage was correct when I went to pick up my meds, but forgot, and it turned out it was the 400mg.  I didn't realize until after the pharmacy was closed, so I just split the pill up intending on going back the next day.  But then I didnt because I'm super avoidant and got scared that I would get in trouble.  So then I didnt go in some more, and decided to stick with it because of fears of not being able to afford more frequent refills with my current insurance.  Fast forward to today, and my pdoc calls and leaves a message saying she has a question about a refill request.  I am terrified that I'll get into huge trouble with insurance fraud or something, so I have no idea what to tell her.  I'm also terrible at lying.  Help? Advice? Please??

So if you were splitting the 400 mg tablets (hope it was not XR) that means you were taking 200 mg instead of 300 mg? Is that correct?

I think you should just tell the truth to the doctor. You won't get in trouble for insurance fraud because people often do this. But you should let the doctor know what you've been doing. Nothing bad is going to happen. Seroquel is not a scheduled drug and if you just tell the doctor why you did it (avoidant) I'm sure everything will be fine.

You could also write it down and give it to them that way if it's too scary to use your voice. Using your words is still a really good alternative! Or, failing that, you've explained things pretty clearly here. Could you show them your post here?

Thanks so much for your responses! Jt07, I'm almost positive it's not xr, and I was splitting them in half and then in fourths so I could get up to 300mg. The bad thing is I have to call her because I couldn't get an appointment until September.  I have a terrible phone phobia, but I'll just have to force myself to do it.  Thanks again, wish me luck!

I can't find her email online and she doesn't have it on her business card, but that would be ideal.  I left a message and now have to anxiously await her return call.  Maybe I can ask for her email then, or if she'll want to see me.  Why does it seem like psychiatrists always so much harder to deal with than therapists?!

Thanks so much for your responses! Jt07, I'm almost positive it's not xr, and I was splitting them in half and then in fourths so I could get up to 300mg. The bad thing is I have to call her because I couldn't get an appointment until September.  I have a terrible phone phobia, but I'll just have to force myself to do it.  Thanks again, wish me luck!

Then you were taking your medicine as prescribed. This is not a big deal. Your doctor won't be angry so don't worry about that. She probably just wants to confirm that you are taking 300 mg and not 400 mg.

Mimsy, I've done similar things, and when I girded my loins and spoke to my practitioner about how situations had impacted my ability to take meds, my life got a LOT easier.  That helped me find the courage to do things like talk to the pharmacy about medication mistakes, too.  :)

Everyone, thanks so much for your help!  Because of that I had the courage to call her back. She got back to me today and everything went fine, she wasn't mad at me or anything.  Thanks again!!!

I'm glad that she wasn't mad at you, and yay for everything going well. Good for you for calling her back! I imagine it was pretty scary. Is there something nice that you can do for yourself to celebrate how hard and still successful it was?