CrazyBoards.org

So... I did something kind of bad.  When I saw my pdoc 6 months ago, she accidentally sent through a request for 400mg of Seroquel instead of 300, realized her mistake and resent it with the correct dosage.  I said I would make sure the dosage was correct when I went to pick up my meds, but forgot, and it turned out it was the 400mg.  I didn't realize until after the pharmacy was closed, so I just split the pill up intending on going back the next day.  But then I didnt because I'm super avoidant and got scared that I would get in trouble.  So then I didnt go in some more, and decided to stick with it because of fears of not being able to afford more frequent refills with my current insurance.  Fast forward to today, and my pdoc calls and leaves a message saying she has a question about a refill request.  I am terrified that I'll get into huge trouble with insurance fraud or something, so I have no idea what to tell her.  I'm also terrible at lying.  Help? Advice? Please??

So if you were splitting the 400 mg tablets (hope it was not XR) that means you were taking 200 mg instead of 300 mg? Is that correct?

I think you should just tell the truth to the doctor. You won't get in trouble for insurance fraud because people often do this. But you should let the doctor know what you've been doing. Nothing bad is going to happen. Seroquel is not a scheduled drug and if you just tell the doctor why you did it (avoidant) I'm sure everything will be fine.

You could also write it down and give it to them that way if it's too scary to use your voice. Using your words is still a really good alternative! Or, failing that, you've explained things pretty clearly here. Could you show them your post here?

I think you should be honest with your DR.  I agree with Rosie, that maybe you could bring this post in with you so it will already be explained out.

Thanks so much for your responses! Jt07, I'm almost positive it's not xr, and I was splitting them in half and then in fourths so I could get up to 300mg. The bad thing is I have to call her because I couldn't get an appointment until September.  I have a terrible phone phobia, but I'll just have to force myself to do it.  Thanks again, wish me luck!

Does she do email? Or can you say "I really feel the need to discuss this in person. Do you have an emergency 15-minute appointment that I could have?"

I can't find her email online and she doesn't have it on her business card, but that would be ideal.  I left a message and now have to anxiously await her return call.  Maybe I can ask for her email then, or if she'll want to see me.  Why does it seem like psychiatrists always so much harder to deal with than therapists?!

Thanks so much for your responses! Jt07, I'm almost positive it's not xr, and I was splitting them in half and then in fourths so I could get up to 300mg. The bad thing is I have to call her because I couldn't get an appointment until September.  I have a terrible phone phobia, but I'll just have to force myself to do it.  Thanks again, wish me luck!

Then you were taking your medicine as prescribed. This is not a big deal. Your doctor won't be angry so don't worry about that. She probably just wants to confirm that you are taking 300 mg and not 400 mg.

Mimsy, I've done similar things, and when I girded my loins and spoke to my practitioner about how situations had impacted my ability to take meds, my life got a LOT easier.  That helped me find the courage to do things like talk to the pharmacy about medication mistakes, too.  :)

Everyone, thanks so much for your help!  Because of that I had the courage to call her back. She got back to me today and everything went fine, she wasn't mad at me or anything.  Thanks again!!!

I'm glad that she wasn't mad at you, and yay for everything going well. Good for you for calling her back! I imagine it was pretty scary. Is there something nice that you can do for yourself to celebrate how hard and still successful it was?

Hmm, I dunno!  I usually get some satisfaction from the relief of having it be over and then tell my boyfriend about it and let him be proud of me.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Angerr
      Had a tiny fight with my psychiatrist, he seems to be dobuting my diagnosis. In the hospital they tried to say i was bpd with bipolar, but my psychologist says i cant be bpd and even my psychiatrist used to think im not. I dont have any bpd traits other than emotional inestability. Anyways im mad bc people dobut my psychotic symptoms he thinks is just something from my imagination or something "typical" from me. Im mad bc the new medication is not working and now i have panic attacks i didnt had before. The  hospital kinda helped kinda made things worse. I feel like my doctor has left me behind, he doesnt care anymore, if he had answered or seen me  15days before when i asked, before i had my big crisis i wouldnt had ended in hospital. Im scheduling an appointment with a new doctor. But i feel so lost, so sad, like no one can help me, not even doctors. Its not fair. This illness is destroying my life. Has anyone ever had this kind of problems with doctors? Have you had a moment where medication made things worse? 
    • By Unburdened
      I have finally decided to go off Wellbutrin (Bupropion/Zyban) as I just cannot live with this anger and rage attacks any longer. I spend my day swearing, (I can’t fit enough swear words in a sentence), clenching my hands until they are rigid, screaming and hurting my throat, telling myself I wish I was dead and having even more intrusive thoughts than normal, even thoughts that wake me up in the middle of the night and I respond by telling myself to fuck off while I‘m laying there in bed. The anger has alarmed me and I can feel the cortisol surging through my body. I’m getting off this medication by myself without help because I went to see my psychiatrist the other day sand he virtually dismissed me and was clearly annoyed with me for having too many side effects and he was frustrated at how difficult I was to treat. There was no sympathy whatsoever. He said we’ve exhausted all avenues. I felt like a fool for not responding correctly to medications that he thought should work. It was a waste of money seeing him and I’m sick of doctors telling me it’s worth having numb genitals or inability to orgasm if you find a pill that gets rid of your depression. The doctor was frustrated with me before for all the pills I’ve been on that I couldn’t tolerate because of sex issues. The Wellbutrin didn’t do anything negative for me sexually (it seemed to have a big improvement on me sexually, actually), but the insane anger is just too much to live with. The anger was over the most minor of things, such as the vacume cleaner cord getting tangled, or losing internet connection. I’m currently on Lamotrigine 200 mg by itself which I hope will help my depression/anxiety.
    • By dogsdogsdogs
      hey there! 
      I recently started seeing a new psychiatrist since my drug regimen of the last 3 years has plateaued and my old psych was terrible. This new doc seems to know what she's talking about and I like her. Basically my antidepressants have hit a block and feel like they've stopped working. So she suggested adding a little helper on top of what I'm already taking. Her first request was Wellbutrin, BUT when I mentioned that I use an albuterol inhaler for my asthma she said that Wellbutrin and albuterol have a bad interaction and pretty much threw out the idea of trying out Wellbutrin.  She put me on 2mg Abilify instead. It's only been a week but I'm not liking the immediate side effects of Abilify that I've been experiencing and hopefully it will even out eventually. BUT in case it doesn't I want to be able to have other options. 
      I've heard so many good things about Wellbutrin. When I tried looking up Albuterol and Wellbutrin interactions I've come up with NOTHING. even on the drug interactions checker. So my question is, has anyone ever heard of this before?? If so, what exactly is the interaction??? 
      If nothing comes of this, I'll ask the new doc about it when I see her again in a month, but for now it's really killing me to know! 
    • By UpDownGirl
      Day two of a hypomanic episode and idk how much longer I can deal with it. On top of that I got into a fight with a friend that ended with him saying that I'm dead to him. Taking tomorrow off work to see my psych but I'm worried I won't get in. Have any of you called in last minute? I'm worried about that more than anything. I know I'll deeply regret burning another bridge but right now I just want to focus on feeling better. 
    • By Stephanie1485
      My name is Stephane, and I've been recently diagnosed with borderline and/or bipolar II...which is where my dilemma comes in. My psychologist believes I have borderline PD, my psychiatrist, who spends more time with me, believes I have rapid cycling bipolar II. I see my psychologist once a month and my psychiatrist twice a week. I've tried to get them to talk to each other to come up with one concrete diagnosis, but they only want to go through me. I know a diagnosis won't define me, but I sure wish I knew what I am so I can come up with a plan of action. Has anyone else had this issue? I believe I'm bipolar--I was diagnosed bipolar by my primary care physician as a child--but I can't help but feel mounting frustration. The doctor not in charge of my meds wants my meds upped to take the edge off my psychosis. The doctor in charge of my meds gets mad that the other doctor is challenging his BPD diagnosis and says no. Help. What would be a good way to help fix this? I love both my doctors and respect them both, but the only thing they agree on is that I have OCD.