CrazyBoards.org

Sleep Paralysis

Does anyone else deal with sleep paralysis , on a regular basis ?

I have it before I fall asleep and upon waking up .

I have never felt like or seen a "monster " on top of me , but it has been frightening .

I have found the sleep paralysis I feel before sleep is more pleasant than the ones I get upon waking up .

Is this what they call "astral projection" or " OBE" Out of body experiences .

I am curious if others have the same experiences and if you do how do you deal with it , and could this be a side affect of medicines or stress . 

Any information is appreciated , Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

I get what I think is sleep paralysis... As in, I'll be lying down and still aware of my surroundings, but can't move.

It's sort of different from the usual descriptions for me though. Like, I might see silhouettes of people walking around in the room and hear them talking, and I might see cars driving around in the rain outside my window (when the curtains are actually drawn...) and lots of complex stuff like that, so it's sort of like I'm dreaming except everything is superimposed on things I am actually seeing because I'm still "awake". I also never feel pressure on my chest or any of that stuff.

I don't really know of anything to do to make the experience itself more pleasant, but for me at least I've noticed that I can pull myself out of it if I start by trying to move my feet, while trying to move other body parts is sort of pointless.

As for medicines and stress causing it, definitely. Anything that boosts serotonin makes mine much worse, and stress seems to make it so I get more of the episodes with fright/dread and less of the peaceful dreamlike stuff I usually get.

I happened to read a bit about sleep paralysis and heard a radio show about it also. 

I don't know much about it, but I did experience it a few times. 

They say that it is more likely to happen for biological physiological reasons if the person sleeps on their back. 

The few times that I had it I was also sleeping on my back. 

Now I make it a point to make sure that I don't sleep on my back unless I have to.  I haven't had any experiences since then. 

I've had it for years.  It comes and goes in spurts.  It also seems to happen more if I am sleeping on my back, so I try to sleep on my side.

All I have to do to get out of it is to move something. I usually try to bend one of my fingers but it takes lots of effort. When I'm finally out of it and awake, I am physically drained and just want to go back to sleep, but if I don't sit up, I will sometimes fall back into paralysis and have to get back out of it again.

I'm not sure if I actually have my eyes open when it happens, but my furniture in the room morphs into something else, like my dresser at the end of the bed will look faintly to me like a giant TV.  I can't see anybody, but I sense there is a presence just out of eyeshot and my mind thinks he's coming to kill me, so I try as hard as I can to move and get out of the paralysis.