CrazyBoards.org

Does vivid daydreaming play a part in your life to deal with avoiding unpleasant realities? I wondered if maybe it's an element of psychosis.

Mine are so vivid as to almost seem real on some other plane. If I put on headphones and listen to music, everything becomes even more immersive. At times I'll be so drawn inward that I'll jump up and feel really angry at anyone who disturbs me.

I see these visual stories in my head like movies that I'm simultaneously writing, directing, and watching. The characters are close to me and I feel strongly about them even though I do not ever interact. I'm on the outside, I never play a part.

I am telling my therapist about this soon, but I wonder if this is a symptom or simply a coping strategy. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Maybe try googling maladaptive daydreaming? I have the exact same coping strategy/ symptom, and for me, the closer to psychosis I get the stronger and more compulsive the daydreams I have. Not that they ever go away, but am almost non functional due to them when my mental health worsens. I have never sought treatment for just the daydreaming.  I couldn't imagine not doing it, though I also think it's weird that I am never in my own fantasies, lol. 

I have never sought treatment for just the daydreaming.  I couldn't imagine not doing it, though I also think it's weird that I am never in my own fantasies, lol. 

This is why I have never brought it up before. It's really pleasurable to be indulging fantasies and it seems to have played a big part in coping through difficult times when I look back over the years. I don't want anyone to take it away. When I'm into a particularly exciting story I'll jump all around the room (must be alone) and feel really happy for a short burst of time. Sounds stupid to do that, but a jumpy excited moment make a very bad day suddenly a little less bad.

I think the reason I'm never in my own fantasies is because I'm trying to escape from me. I'd rather make up characters and watch their world instead.