CrazyBoards.org

How do you explain BP to people?

I've been trying to come up with an easy way to explain to what its like to cope with BP. What I think I've come up with is: It's like walking on the edge of a knife. It hurts but its better than falling into the void.

• Like 1

For the depression part it is dread and mental anguish so severe I can't think of anything else and it becomes impossible to do anything, even simple things like eating and showering. I find people understand the depression part more than the manic part. I often don't even say anything about manic. I'm mostly mixed when manic anyway. For me that is like depression only now I can't sleep and I have lots of time to try to commit suicide and I have hallucinations.

• Like 1

I always point people towards the Hyperbole and a Half explanation of depression.

I explain mania as a surge of energy that in my case makes me feel horrible, like a loser, frenetic, and weepy. It makes the future seem unreachable. And I spend money. But I have dysphoric manias. And some people might say that is mixed, not manic. But I've had two doctors tell me it was mania.

Edited by crtclms
  • Like 1

Hello! This is my first post to this forum. I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar when I was about 15. I'm 25 now. 

In rehab one day I was thinking about this... How to describe me to people ect. Here is what I came up with :

Bipolar: a flimsy switch, on a boat, in the middle of a thunderstorm.