CrazyBoards.org

I just came home from my pdoc appointment, I mentioned to her that I don't like the weight gain I've had with risperdal, she mentioned something about an injection but didn't go in depth explaining it because I'll have a new pdoc in September so she didn't want to start something new.  Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it and what it's like or if it's not worth it, or if there's weight gain that comes with it. I would google it but I don't know what it's called or where to even start researching it. 

I've been getting an injection of Risperdal Consta for the past 9 years.  It's worked remarkably well for me.  I did have weight gain on it- actually 35 lbs.  But I'll take the extra pounds so I  can keep my sanity.  Started at a 25 mg injection but now at 37.5 mg.  Other than the weight gain the only other side effect was a decreased sex drive.  Hope this helps.

Another positive about the injection is I don't have to worry about taking pills everyday or if I missed a dose.

I was on Risperdal Consta for a couple of months, starting at 25mg and going up to 37.5mg. It is given every other week, in the arm or butt (butt hurts less, IME, I had a pretty sore arm after it once) but it didn't help a lot of symptoms, where, oddly enough, Invega Sustenna (which is every 4 weeks) helped with the psychosis, but caused too many physical and cognitive side effects to continue. 

On the Consta, I did gain weight, but I needed to gain weight. I didn't gain much. It didn't affect my prolactin (neither did the Invega Sustenna)

Invega and Risperdal have the same active ingredient, and Invega came out with a quarterly injection (once every 3 months) but you have to have been on the Sustenna for at least 4 months before it can be used.

Risperdal Consta was great for my mood, but not the best for psychosis. 

I get the Risperdal Consta every 2 weeks.  For me it's the only thing that's ever worked for me.  Don't know how the pills would be was only on them for a few weeks right before starting the injection.  I'm very happy with the injection.  I'm also on Lexapro right now as well in pill form and that's helped with some depression I was having.  I haven't had a psychosis since being on the Risperdal Consta and in the last 9 years have only had 1 hospitalization, before going on it was in and out of the hospitals.  But you need to work with your pdoc and do what's right for you because everyone is different.  Wishing you all the best Kris.

I'm on something similar, Abilify Maintena. I was on flupenthixol shots for a while, but that exacerbated my chronic EPS/mild tardive dyskinesia. All I can say to the OP is, it's harmless, it doesn't really hurt, and it can work very well. You'll have fortnightly appointments at a hospital outpatients unit or a clinic to get the shot. If you're embarrassed about being injected in the bottom, you should be able to ask for a female or younger nurse.

Hello,

I've been on Risperdal consta, abilify maintenna, and invega sustena, and I responded to the invega the best. No weight gain or any other side effect that I can think of. The risperdal was okay too, but the abilify gave me tremors. One thing about the shot is that your arm typically feels sore for a day or two. But it's good because it's a steady flow of medicine into your system, compared to with the pills, especially if you're having a difficult time remembering to take them.

Hope you find a medicine that works for you. Take care.

• Like 1