CrazyBoards.org

I can get out of bed, unlike Seroquel, but then I don't feel like doing anything, despite a high frequency buzz of energy. The engine is running, but the drive shaft is missing. It isn't avolition. I want to do things, but then I'll get an instant aversion if I try. I watch a lot of Netflix.

It's mostly controlling hallucinations, but yesterday my Yorkie turned into a giant black and yellow lizard. Ha, but it wasn't funny at the time. Now I've starting having occasional chest pains. My last ECG was fine a few months ago.

I know from experience it can take awhile to get over SEs and get stabilized. I still have high hopes, because of the energy. I wish it was better on the voices and hallucinations, but I'd say it's good enough in a world where nothing is perfect, and it may improve over time.

I was at 20mg for two weeks, now 40mg for a week. I also take lithium. Cymbalta d/c when Latuda was started. My dx is bipolar, and I've started with infrequent hallucinations for about six months, auditory (indistinct voices with occasional clear negative "demonic" comments); visual (e.g a boy in a yard, a tractor on the road, a book ribbon that turned into a banner, and, of course, a giant yellow and black lizard); and olfactory (flowers, gasoline).

I am reluctant to start complaining to my pdoc already, since she has no hesitation switching things up, and I really want to give this a chance. She said ECT was pretty much the only option left if this didn't work.

I've taken Latuda for 3 years now. I don't have hallucinations or anything though. Mine was mostly depression though. It has definitely kicked the depressions ass though. I'm on 60mgs.  I started out at 40mgs and then I think about a year later went to 60mg where I've been ever since. I don't really remember any side effects except hot flashes when I started out. I hope it works out for you.

I'm on 80mg of Latuda, but I, too, took it for bipolar depression. I responded to it right away, but had the same "I feel better, but I don't want to do anything" response at the beginning. 40 mg is still a low dose, maybe you could ask to go up to 60mg.

I think you should definately talk to your doctor about ALL of what you said.  But I disagree with your doc about ECT.  I've known people who had ECT and it messed up their bodies and their minds really really badly and permanently. 

Please don't repeat anecdotal evidence about a treatment you know little about. Are you a trained psychiatrist? Do you have a peer reviewed article substantiating your claim?

We have many, many members on CBs who have used both unilateral and bilateral ECT with excellent results. That doesn't mean they didn't have side effects, or that ECT is for everyone. But you are repeating anecdotal, negative information about a valuable form of treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have personally had ECT - 11 sessions of it. I have type 1 bipolar disorder. It did not help me any, but it may have caused me cognitive problems. And I've lost a LOT of memories of vacations and times with friends/family. The memory loss is because of the ECT, but as far as the other cognitive issues, it might just be from the BP itself. No way to know. 

ECT helps some people. I would say it helps less than it doesn't, but that being said, most people who get to the point of ECT are at a point where nothing else has worked. It is not a decision to be made lightly like I did. I agreed to do it because I thought they'd let me out of the psych ward faster and I didn't care. If you consider it, do your research and think long and hard. It may be worth the risk for you, or it may not. It's your life, no one can know but you.

I've been taking Latuda since February (40mg) and it's helped with my mild psychotic symptoms and it's prescribed for me for just that. I had originally assumed my p-doc had prescribed it for my bipolar depression, but it's done nothing for my depression (hence my recent start of lamotrigine).

I too take lithium with my Latuda and seem to tolerate both fairly well now. Latuda does seem to make me sleeping, so I take it at bedtime, which means I go to bed shortly after dinner (see below). I too have felt what I will incorrectly call lethargy, but I think it really turned out to be my depression masked by the lithium and Latuda. The lamotrigine seems to be lifting me up a bit and that's fading now (all the in the past few weeks).

A few comments:

- 40mg isn't a huge dose of Latuda, so maybe you need a dose adjustment? You can go quite a bit higher, although like most things, I'm sure the side effects might increase

- Are you making sure you consume Latuda with 350-calories each and every time? It's not a suggestion with this drug; it's a requirement for it to be properly metabolized

I would hang in there a bit longer. It's tricky because it's hard to know how a drug like Latuda is working sometimes because we don't know how much it's doing for underlying symptoms without stopping it. I haven't had much in the way of paranoid feelings, which to me is reason enough to keep going :)

Good luck. Report back.

I took 140 mg of latuda. You can most certainly go up on the dose if your pdoc thinks it should be higher.

I liked it alright. It just didn't work for my manic episodes and was so-so for the voices and paranoia. I became manic while on it. Seroquel is better for me! But we are all so different.

I hope it works well for you. Give it a fair shot!

I think you should definately talk to your doctor about ALL of what you said.  But I disagree with your doc about ECT.  I've known people who had ECT and it messed up their bodies and their minds really really badly and permanently. 

Are you a doctor? Have you ever had ECT? No? Shut the fuck up.

I've had ECT, it saved my life and caused less cognitive problems than an episode (manic, depressed, psychotic) did. I literally lost 4 months to a psychotic episode. and 8 to a depressive one. I had ECT, one month is fuzzy, I still remember exact things from it. 3 weeks after being discharged from IP after ECT, I had a job and went back to college.

Please don't repeat anecdotal evidence about a treatment you know little about. Are you a trained psychiatrist? Do you have a peer reviewed article substantiating your claim?

We have many, many members on CBs who have used both unilateral and bilateral ECT with excellent results. That doesn't mean they didn't have side effects, or that ECT is for everyone. But you are repeating anecdotal, negative information about a valuable form of treatment.

Your anecdotal "many, many members on CBs" is just as anecdotal as mine.  I don't see a problem at all.  My comment comes from a place of concern.  http://DailyStrength.org has had people reporting serious issues with ECT.  If you want to complain about it being anecdotal, you need to consider that this whole entire site and all sites like it are purely anecdotal.  And peer review doesn't mean crap if in reality people are suffering.  A lot of pschiatry is a big pain in the ass and alot of them are clueless as many of us who have dealt with them know. 

Wanting someone to not experience neuromuscular problems and memory problems is not negative.  I am providing support which is also a valuable form of treatment.  If you don't understand that, why are you running this site?

you might as well consider the "anecdotes" informal voluntary polling in a network scenario and use it as the strong resource that it is. 

Edited by Nystagmus

My concern is that you are in a faux authoritative voice critiquing something you know little about, and something that many people here have first hand experience with. Which is also anecdotal. But personal experience beats "I've heard."

Do you go around telling people not to use certain meds? If you do, you should stop. That is essentially what you are doing with ECT.

My concern is that you are in a faux authoritative voice critiquing something you know little about, and something that many people here have first hand experience with. Which is also anecdotal. But personal experience beats "I've heard."

Do you go around telling people not to use certain meds? If you do, you should stop. That is essentially what you are doing with ECT.

I think it is unfair to the original poster to take over the thread to talk about forum policy.  If you want to continue talking to me about this, why don't you send me a PM. 

I still disagree with you but seriously, if people don't research the bad side effects of any treatment and just hear about the successes (WHICH ARE ANECDOTAL), then they might end up in serious trouble from the side effects of a treatment that they might not have needed to take or perhaps they could've known better how much they could tolerate. 

I think you might want to reacquaint yourself with the site and study how many times people give anecdotal (which just means personal) accounts of what happened to them on medicines and treatments.  It's not all good experiences, and a lot of people aren't shy about explaining how and why things went wrong.  It's a form of support so that other people better understand the risks. 

Not everyone gives a response that is in depth about the pros and cons of treatments and not all people asking questions are even looking for in depth answers.  Some people just want to know, "Are there risks with this treatment?" 

So I will bail out of this discussion to say, "Yes there are very serious risks to ECT (electro convulsive therapy), and if you are thinking about doing it, you owe it to yourself to find out first what those risks are.  I don't know the exact long list of risks, but this is the internet, the results aren't far away.  I know of some of them, because people who I used to communicate with in forums and on chatrooms used to tell me what they experienced.  That may not be official enough of a response for moderators and critics.  But if all you need to know is if somebody here reports that it's not perferct and not an only option, then I have helped.  You might also want to ask your doc why they claim ECT is the one and only last choice.  It might be an unsubstantiated claim.  Pdocs often make that mistake." 

Furthermore, even reporting of medication side effects is still done anecdotally.  There's a toll free 1-800 number where people can request paperwork to submit their own reported side effects.  And when psychiatrists ask patient's how they are doing, the patients respond anecdotally with personal accounts.  This is not unusually in healthcare, because not everything can be measured with bloodtests and EKG's and CT scans and MRI's.  Sometimes the simplist thing to do is just to ask the patient.  It might not be the most effective at all times, but it's the most common approach. 

And again, the entire internet of health forums is loaded with anecdotal information.  That's exactly why it's helpful.  It's not just the parts where people say, "Take medicine."  It's also the parts where people say, "Be careful, others have gotten hurt by this."  And medicines and treatments can cause harm sometimes, it's just the reality of risks for an imperfect world.  You don't have to be a participant in a class action lawsuit to know these things. 

OK, now I'm done.  Like I said, if you want to debate the whole anecdotal personal response thing, send me a pm.  Anyways, I meant well.  I'm not out trying to derail people from healthcare.  I'm just like anybody else at this site who is supporting and being supportive.  I never claimed to be an authority, and nobody expected me to be an authority either.  And it's not like this site invites research psychiatrists and medical technicians to talk in their own subforum.  So it's not like this site is even soliciting authorities.  And even if the site did, I doubt they'd respond much.  Dailystrength.org has more of that type of a feel, but in a lot of ways it's patronizing sometimes (like when a doctor told women not to breastfeed in public), and people respond in ways that aren't always just failthful approval. 

I'm not reading that gobbledygook, I'm on meds just like everyone else here. But it it interesting that you wrote (and wrote, and wrote) it after accusing me of taking the thread off topic. You were the one who made the initial claim, not I.

Update on Latuda.

It SERIOUSLY made me an angry person, and I mean a cursing at my wife throwing furniture angry person. I was on a constant simmer that would boil over about once a week. And that's not me (or if it is, at least I was controlling it). She would tell me afterwards it wasn't me she saw in my eyes.

I tried adding 50 mg Seroquel (which my pdoc endorsed), but it didn't help enough. Since it will be another couple of months until I see my pdoc (VA), I have cut the Latuda back down to 20. I was hopeful about this drug because it definitely whacked my psychotic symptoms and depression, and I could "tell it was working." But the rage is just not acceptable.

What a shame.

But, who knows, maybe I'm extra-sensitive and this combo will work for me?

Edited by Crazy Bear

I tried adding 50 mg Seroquel (which my pdoc endorsed), but it didn't help enough. Since it will be another couple of months until I see my pdoc (VA), I have cut the Latuda back down to 20. I was hopeful about this drug because it definitely whacked my psychotic symptoms and depression, and I could "tell it was working." But the rage is just not acceptable.

Could the seroquel + Latuda combo tide you over until you can see your p-doc? Otherwise you'll be left with nothing to fill in the gap in treatment, right?

Sorry you're getting this much rage.

Well, I decided I really needed to be on the 40 mg, so I went back up, this time aware of the rage issues and determined not to fall prey to them. So far, so good. My depression is under control, I get out of bed and am active, and I don't see, hear or smell things that aren't really there. So far, I haven't felt terribly angry. Mainly just apathetic. Like I'm just going through the motions without getting any pleasure from my activities. Kind of like being depressed, but not... I have energy, but the "reward center" just doesn't light up, if you know what I mean.

I hope the 40 mg works for you.  Sometimes it may be better to put up with a few more symptoms to have fewer side effects as long as they aren't overly interfering.  I found Latuda to be the only antipsychotic I've taken that has been side effect free for me.  It is a great drug.  I dislike, though, that you have to take it with food and that it is not generic yet...

I'm not getting into anything about ECT anymore. I've had it, and personally seen others have it, and dramatic improvements. I was IP with them, one woman was my roommate. We got to know each other quite well.

And I'm going to refrain from cussing someone out for their ignorance. Peer reviewed is the way to go. And if someone has a negative reaction to anything they're going to talk about that. When it's a positive experience, it's not as interesting to talk about. Okay, done there.

I hope the latuda works out. I start it tonight (60mg) and am hoping it gets me out of the rut I'm in. Keep us updated. I'll update in my blog, as well.