CrazyBoards.org

I don't feel anything

Hello everyone,

So I am diagnosed bipolar 1 and I have prescriptions for epival and seroquel but seroquel knocks me out and makes me not functional so I don't take it. I've been going through a very bad time in my marriage and so I've been cycling back and forth a lot. But starting last week, I can't feel anything. I don't feel happy, I don't feel sad, I don't feel angry. I don't feel hungry at all. I eat only to make my stomach stop growling and even then I don't really want the food. I'm not afraid to feel emotions or anything like that. They've just stopped. I don't really mind not being able to feel anything emotionally, I actually care more about my complete loss of appetite and wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

What dose of seroquel are you meant to be on? Low doses are often used for sleep as they are more sedating. The higher the dose though the less sedating it usually gets, you just have to give it a little time to settle in. 

I don't have any suggestions. But I know how it feels to feel nothing. I've been there and it sucks. It took me a lot of med changes to come back from that. I'm sorry that you're feeling so shitty. Have you talked about it with your pdoc recently?

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.

Have you talked with your pdoc about this?  Does s/he know you aren't taking the seroquel?  Maybe there is another med you can try that would help.  Are you in therapy?  Sometimes it helps to talk things through with a professional.

I figured out what's wrong. I don't have the ability to deal with my emotions anymore. Yesterday I was at work, I felt a surge of emotions come and I broke down. I spent a half hour crying in the bathroom. I was able to get rid of the emotions and I'm back to feeling numb. It's really depressing (or it would be if I could feel that) to think that I have to purposely block my emotions to not be in agony :-(

I was able to get rid of the emotions and I'm back to feeling numb. It's really depressing (or it would be if I could feel that) to think that I have to purposely block my emotions to not be in agony :-(

I commiserate with this but be careful. Strong emotions became too hard to endure so I learned to stuff them down out of sight. Got too good at it though, and now I've no idea how to bring them back. My mind is all sorts of confused right now.

Saintalto, that is really unhealthy. Do you have a therapist? It is important to allow yourself to feel emotions, although sometimes you have to learn how to prevent them from knocking you on your ass.

I do intend to talk to the therapist about it in a few days. As much as I don't like where I've ended up, I still would like to retain some kind of the protection from my volatile emotions. This coping mechanism did that well initially so I want to learn to alter it into a healthy strategy. I hope she will help me do that.

• 2 weeks later...