CrazyBoards.org

I see and hear things that aren't real, but usually, they start out as something real, but will "morph" into something strange. Not always though. Sometimes they'll just be on their own. My dx is bipolar, and this is fairly new for me. Are these "real" hallucinations? Are there progressive stages where they start "milder" and end up out-of-nowhere and super-concrete?

I see and hear things that aren't real, but usually, they start out as something real, but will "morph" into something strange.

I can identify with this. Most my hallucinations are a strange mixture of  twisting of and adding to what is actually around me in real life. 

I think what you are having is very much real. You should pboably report this stuff to you pdoc when you next. If it's happening right now call them sooner than later. Get an appointment asap.

• Like 1

i can also identify with this and its also been my experience that they start out milder and turn into something "stranger" as things get worse, at which point ive had to be hospitalized (but this was because i refused to take my meds). but of course, im no expert on the progression of hallucinations so to speak. only offering what experience has taught me

but yeah, u bring up a good point. this is something i also want to know more about, to see when real life turns into slight psychosis and i start misinterpreting things. could save me some trouble down the line

Edited by iwishididnthaveanhedonia

Hallucinations are a real phenomenon, but by definition the hallucinations themselves are NOT REAL.  They are like dreams.  Dreams are a real phenomenon, but by definition the dreams themselves are not real. 

Personally, I think this is the easiest way to think about... as compared to dreams.  Both cases are manufactured by the mind itself and seems realistic.  The only difference is wakefulness. 

That being said, I feel that hallucinations can be so subtle that they blend in with regular real stuff, and there are other aspects of psychosis that are extremely strange to experience, but technically don't fall neatly into the categories of hallucination nor delusion.  It's just wierd stuff.  And the docs don't know much about it in my opinion. 

Edited by Nystagmus

I think what you are having is very much real. You should pboably report this stuff to you pdoc when you next. If it's happening right now call them sooner than later. Get an appointment asap.

I agree with saintalto ... you should report this to your pdoc.  The earlier you catch it when it isn't as "bad" as it might get, the better off you'll be. 

For example, when I started hallucinating I thought they were as real as reality is.  I didn't tell anyone about them, because I wanted this new "life" to myself and it made me feel good, more positive, etc ... I waited about 6-7 years before I truly admitted that I was hallucinating, but by then it was all engrained in my head and medication only did so much.  Had I told my pdoc right away, I could have gotten medication and probably be doing better now than I am, possibly hallucination-free.  I'll never know though.

I concur with Melissa and Saintalto, talk to someone about it. The intensity doesn't matter to an extent, it needs to be treated and like a whole load of other illnesses, the sooner treated the better the outcome. If left untreated it can become worse, potentially. I believe that stress can also make them temporarily worse.

And lack of sleeps, defiantly. Part of the reason why I went with a sedating antipsychotic was because I had difficulty with sleep at the time. I'd hear things like someone creeping around outside my room and television static or cables and clothes that were hung up moving. Freaked me out a little, quite like I was on the set of a horror movie, waiting for that bit climatic jump scare.

Thanks for all the good advice. It's hard to trust yourself when you're mentally ill. I half-thought "you're just imagining that you're having hallucinations," which makes me laugh when I type it, but you know what I mean. I have started Latuda, and that is messing with my sleep some, but I hope that will deal with the hallucinations. Also, when the fan is on at night, I hear a radio station in the noise -- with music, talk, even commercials. All part of the "dream" I guess.

Also, when the fan is on at night, I hear a radio station in the noise -- with music, talk, even commercials. All part of the "dream" I guess.

Oh wow! I have this too. The fans are like speakers to me. I hear it when I'm well and a lot of the time when I'm unwell too. The reason I bring this up is that my psychiatrist says this is an extremely rare kind of hallucination. Specifically hearing or seeing something coming from something that doesn't make sense in context to what the noise is (IE music/voices out of a fan). She said she wished her med student had beens sitting in because it's not something she has come across before, only heard of. There was a name for it, but I can't remember what it was.

The fans are like speakers to me. I hear it when I'm well and a lot of the time when I'm unwell too. The reason I bring this up is that my psychiatrist says this is an extremely rare kind of hallucination. Specifically hearing or seeing something coming from something that doesn't make sense in context to what the noise is (IE music/voices out of a fan).

This happens to me too, but since recently being on trazodone it has stopped (hopefully for good).  But before, I can relate to hearing voices through music, the fan, running water, vacuum cleaner, A/C, etc.  If you remember the name of those kinds of hallucinations, I'd be interested in knowing what they are called.

My auditory hallucinations are usually crystal clear and fairly loud. That is except for music, which often comes in at a lower volume. Either way, I can't tell the difference between what's real and what's not without some clues. I once hallucinated music and tried to determine the source, only to end up following it all over downtown. That was a weird one. Normally I can find the source, fake as it may be. So for instance I'll hear music and trace it to my stereo speakers, But the stereo will be turned off. Or I'll hear cats meowing but the cats are both asleep. The voices I hear are usually dead people, so I know they're not real (although it usually takes a moment to realize it).

I also get triggered into auditory hallucinations from certain types of background noise (fans, furnaces, wind).  It's very rare for me but I find that using earplugs helps a lot to prevent it. I sleep with earplugs in and it reduces all that real background noise to silence and then I can rest.  I can still hear loud noises if I need to be awakened.  So I consider it safe.