CrazyBoards.org

Why Octopus?

This board needed a title so I gave it one.

It's from this lyric by Syd Barrett, if anyone is wondering.  It was written as he was begining to decend into schitzophrenia, though it's aplicable to bp as well I think.

OCTOPUS (Clowns And Jugglers)

Syd Barrett 1970

Trip to heave and ho, up down, to and fro'

you have no word

trip, trip to a dream dragon

hide your wings in a ghost tower

sails cackling at every plate we break

cracked by scattered needles

the little minute gong

coughs and clears his throat

madam you see before you stand

hey ho, never be still

the old original favorite grand

grasshoppers green Herbarian band

and the tune they play is 'In Us Confide'

so trip to heave and ho, up down, to and fro'

you have no word

Please leave us here

close our eyes to the octopus ride!

Isn't it good to be lost in the wood

isn't it bad so quiet there, in the wood

meant even less to me than I thought

with a honey plough of yellow prickly seeds

clover honey pots and mystic shining feed...

well, the madcap laughed at the man on the border

hey ho, huff the Talbot

"Cheat" he cried shouting kangaroo

it's true in their tree they cried

Please leave us here

The madcap laughed at the man on the border

hey ho, huff the Talbot

the winds they blew and the leaves did wag

they'll never put me in their bag

the seas will reach and always seep

so high you go, so low you creep

the wind it blows in tropical heat

the drones they throng on mossy seats

the squeaking door will always squeak

two up, two down we'll never meet

so merrily trip forgo my side

Please leave us here

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too long for me, as well. And if I have to read that lengthy of an explanation, more than likely too esoteric.

Maybe this is showing my age a bit too much, but how about something that's readily accessible as "bipolar"? For example: Bipolar Spectrum Disorder - The Patty Duke Show? (Who are you today? Patty? Cathy? Both?)

Not necessarily celebrity references only, but here's one more: Bipolar Spectrum Disorder - Pricess Leia in her own Star Wars? Or "Princess Leia, Space Cadet?"

Or??? There's got to be a ton of bipolar references elsewhere.

Just MHO, but for me "Octopus Ride" doesn't make it. Of course, of no real importance in the long run. But, again, if you want to make the concept accessible, then you may want to rethink it.

I have to agree--it's not working. Whether it's for schizophrenia or bipolar...and the long-ass explanation, wha-? by who? you lost me at hello. Even something as simple as "what goes up must come down" would make more sense. Anything that needs such an add-nightmare footnote is *!!!*. ;)

Quoting VE:

This board needed a title so I gave it one.

I like it.  As a certified bipolar, I think it's a perfect metaphor.  And for what it's worth VE, I like the forum description too.

Martin

edited for clarity.

And for what it's worth VE, I like the forum description too.

Hey!  Thank you!  :)

Though I rather like the Octopus Ride title now that I've read the lyrics, I think it would have been easier to understand with 1. ADD-friendly divided lyrics (verse - space - chorus - space - bridge) or 2. an MP3.  But hey, everyone's a critic.  ;)  

Except ka-mai, who says nice things and makes me smile. 

Squee!

aren't octopi slow graceful suckers? or...did you mean "Octopussy" for the thriller ride of yer life? or how 'bout a rodeo? "BP Bucks!"...winged buffalo bucks stomping on laughing madcap's honey pot.  :)

ok, i haven't slept. i'm a leetle loopy ;)   I won't harass the royal fiat anymore.

*opening up a fresh package of "shhh"*

Guest luli2545

So this is Christmas

And what have you done?

Another year over

And a new one just begun.

And so this is Christmas.

I hope you have fun.

The near and the dear ones,

The old and the young.

Hey octopus or whatever, nice posts...

Luli

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was one of my favourite rides at amusement parks when I was a kid...hell, I still love it! Mmmm...roller coasters...

I also love spinning in chairs and bouncing on beds and trampolines and...whee!

...oh wait...maybe this belongs on the autie board *grin*

Karen

I think it would have been easier to understand with 1. ADD-friendly divided lyrics (verse - space - chorus - space - bridge)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep spaces are a necessity.  I can't read anything without spaces.  So its probably a great, relevant, song but I can't follow atm.

Are you going to sticky this thread to the board so people know what the board title means down the road?

I'm sure all of us appreciate the tremendous amount of work that goes in to developing and keeping these boards running -- and doing it so well!

Regarding this board title...

Are you going to sticky this thread to the board so people know what the board title means down the road?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it needs to be pinned to explain it, again this indicates the name isn't cutting it. It's too esoteric.

Let me reiterate, I'll come to the boards no matter what you name the bipolar board. On the other hand, it just seems confusing, perhaps especially to newbies? (With a background in both user-interface design and marketing, I tend to look at things this way.)

I've been consistantly struck by how clever and understandable the titles of the other boards have been, which is a quite a trick to pull off at the same time. At least IMHO, "Octopus Ride" doesn't cut it.

keep your friends close and your faint praise closer.

friends, romans (who know what to do when in rome), lend me your ears.

would you love it so well had it come from a subject so humble as me or an actual bp (ouch*should i take that back?)? but i guess riding a unicycle is credential enough. *sorry* I swear. the devil made me say it!! (VE, I'm just having fun, bustin' yer balls.)

still haven't slept. and need i say? I'm Mad as a Milliner.

Oh dear. I apologize everyone. When I come to my senses, I'll make it up to you all with lavish compliments.

well.  it's not for sure that I'm not bp.  According to pdoc I might be "cyclic unipolar," which isn't in the DSM. 

Anyway.

If nothing else, having this as the title will hopefully prompt someone to suggest something better.

"The Madcap Laughs" is the title of the album the song is from.

Many of the board titles are fairly esoteric pop culture references.  They just make sense if you don't know the reference.  This one doesn't so much.

At first I didn't much care for it.

The Syd Barrett reference did nothing for me.

I like the critter, but couldn't really make it fit.

I thought about the ride, which I always found mostly boring, and it make me think about a line from Temptation, a New Order song, which plays in my head when I think of my bipolaritis (technical term):

"Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground."

So, um, that works for me.

Todd.

Archived