CrazyBoards.org

DID and Amnesia thoughts?

I struggle with these, any advice or opinions?

Edited by Canyoufixthebroken
I wanted to make it more of an open topic where people who have similarities can discuss the same issue.

I am not expert, but if you have a DID diagnosis, I think that *is* the main issue. I'm not going to delve into something I'm unsure of, so hopefully some others with the same diagnosis will show up soon. It can be hours, or even a day, so don't think you're being blown off.

hopefully some others with the same diagnosis will show up soon. It can be hours, or even a day, so don't think you're being blown off.

That whole losing time thing...

If you're losing time like that is it because you're really switchy? For me that's what it is. So it sort of stands to reason that if you were able to be out for the conversation you'd be able to remember it all, yes? In which case what you're really asking is how can you be out for longer than part-of-a-conversation?

I guess the longer-term answer is to learn how to work amongst yourselves so that you get the space to be you (and they'll need space to be them too). But since it's been years and I don't have that yet I'm not really sure that that's a very good answer. In the shorter term you could try insisting that people talk to you by text/chat/email rather than in person. I've managed to convince most people around me that I need to see all of everything written down.

I recently looked up and was in the middle of a major argument and had no idea why we were fighting, and I can guess who here did this but I'm not sure. So I'm not really the best on answers, but I can relate. I know that it's incredibly frustrating to feel hijacked by internal politics that I may or may not actually be aware of.

Or maybe I'm reading this all wrong?

• Like 1

hopefully some others with the same diagnosis will show up soon. It can be hours, or even a day, so don't think you're being blown off.

That whole losing time thing...

If you're losing time like that is it because you're really switchy? For me that's what it is. So it sort of stands to reason that if you were able to be out for the conversation you'd be able to remember it all, yes? In which case what you're really asking is how can you be out for longer than part-of-a-conversation?

I guess the longer-term answer is to learn how to work amongst yourselves so that you get the space to be you (and they'll need space to be them too). But since it's been years and I don't have that yet I'm not really sure that that's a very good answer. In the shorter term you could try insisting that people talk to you by text/chat/email rather than in person. I've managed to convince most people around me that I need to see all of everything written down.

I recently looked up and was in the middle of a major argument and had no idea why we were fighting, and I can guess who here did this but I'm not sure. So I'm not really the best on answers, but I can relate. I know that it's incredibly frustrating to feel hijacked by internal politics that I may or may not actually be aware of.

Or maybe I'm reading this all wrong?

No you read it right, if you want the truth I'm a 16 year old with no idea what is going on and is just going off what doctors have told me -_- I literally just lose myself sometimes and I forget what has happened - I find myself mid argument with someone and it's like I've been teleported to another world and have no idea what is happening so have to improvise the moment (sometimes I get it horrendously wrong) I have people inside my head that just come from no where and they take over completely and its like I'm just asleep the whole time. I don't know what's going on. I don't know how to describe it. I'm just so confused. And on top of all that people close to me don't BELIEVE ME!? They can't see how much I'm struggling and it just makes me want to scream! :(

Yeah. I get this feeling too. It's bewildering and confusing. I sometimes get it wrong as well. The other day I looked up and had to ask someone "why am I carrying this rock?" Apparently I had decided that I was going to make a pet out of it a few minutes earlier.

I suspect that the folks who share your headspace do come from somewhere, though. Even if the answer is just "well, they come from headspace. Duh."

I'm not believed either. Well, the person that I live with does, because he sees it every day. But no one else does - including my mum and my sister. So I'm not sure. It's really hard to hold fast to our own truths when no one else around us can support us in that. 

I hope that you can find some ways to make the struggle a little bit easier.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dewey
      I am going to copy this out and hand over to my new trauma therapist, will circle which applies to me.  I met with her last week and she educated me with certain diagnoses I was given that now fall under the new PTSD criteria.  I also am keeping a daily log of my symptoms and triggers. 
      CAUTION:  May trigger

Full copyrighted criteria are available from the American Psychiatric Association (1). All of the criteria are required for the diagnosis of PTSD. The following text summarizes the diagnostic criteria:
      Criterion A (one required): The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, in the following way(s):
      Direct exposure
      Witnessing the trauma
      Learning that a relative or close friend was exposed to a trauma
      Indirect exposure to aversive details of the trauma, usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, medics)
      Criterion B (one required): The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced, in the following way(s):
      Unwanted upsetting memories
      Nightmares
      Flashbacks
      Emotional distress after exposure to traumatic reminders
      Physical reactivity after exposure to traumatic reminders
      Criterion C (one required): Avoidance of trauma-related stimuli after the trauma, in the following way(s):
      Trauma-related thoughts or feelings
      Trauma-related reminders
      Criterion D (two required): Negative thoughts or feelings that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):
      Inability to recall key features of the trauma
      Overly negative thoughts and assumptions about oneself or the world
      Exaggerated blame of self or others for causing the trauma
      Negative affect
      Decreased interest in activities
      Feeling isolated
      Difficulty experiencing positive affect
      Criterion E (two required): Trauma-related arousal and reactivity that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):
      Irritability or aggression
      Risky or destructive behavior
      Hypervigilance
      Heightened startle reaction
      Difficulty concentrating
      Difficulty sleeping
      Criterion F (required): Symptoms last for more than 1 month.
      Criterion G (required): Symptoms create distress or functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational).
      Criterion H (required): Symptoms are not due to medication, substance use, or other illness.
      Two specifications:
      Dissociative Specification. In addition to meeting criteria for diagnosis, an individual experiences high levels of either of the following in reaction to trauma-related stimuli:
      Depersonalization. Experience of being an outside observer of or detached from oneself (e.g., feeling as if "this is not happening to me" or one were in a dream).
      Derealization. Experience of unreality, distance, or distortion (e.g., "things are not real").
      Delayed Specification. Full diagnostic criteria are not met until at least six months after the trauma(s), although onset of symptoms may occur immediately.
      Note: DSM-5 introduced a preschool subtype of PTSD for children ages six years and younger.

• By Blahblah
      Has anyone here come to realize the moments when you are projecting in a relationship? By Projection, I mean the behavior where you do not accept your own thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings as your own. These "unwanted" feelings or thoughts are dealt with by being projected / placed outside of yourself or attributed to someone else...
      I've noticed (as a chronically depressed, anxious, highly-sensitive person) that I have a habit of often projecting, and misinterpreting other's behavior as critical, unloving, uncaring, angry and disapproving...when in fact, these are the constant ruminations that I have about MYSELF. This is simply how my brain operates in the world. I'm VERY critical of myself (I often see myself as unlovable, unworthy, lazy, too emotional, disorganized, I never do anything right)... Ex: Someone communicates a neutral statement to me, but I over analyze and read into it emotionally, and start feeling and questioning that the person is angry with me or disapproves of me.
      Anyone experience this? How do you de-program your automatic projections?

• By killmankind1999
      I went into the ER for trying to kill myself and they had a male doctor come in and take all the sticky wire things of me. I had to pull my shirt up. It triggered me because of past sexual trauma and because i am transgender. He was also making a creepy smile while doing it witch is espeically weird because i was literally in the ER for trying to kill myself. Geez, great pediatricin.
    • By killmankind1999
      I went into the ER for trying to kill myself and they had a male doctor come in and take all the sticky wire things of me. I had to pull my shirt up. It triggered me because of past sexual trauma and because i am transgender. He was also making a creepy smile while doing it witch is espeically weird because i was literally in the ER for trying to kill myself. Geez, great pediatricin.