CrazyBoards.org

what was the reason you were hospitalized, if you were?

I felt weird about my hospitalisation. I went because of self harm, but I must have been manic too. I was running around the looping corridor at 2am in the morning after having had 2 valium to no effect. To be fair though, how can you sleep when nurses are checking on you all the time and the lights are bright outside your doorless room??

I didn't understand though, I was kept for two and a half weeks (they were going to ask my family for more even). No one would tell me why and I saw heaps of people who had attempted suicide, or people had done things much more serious than I had done, come and go within days. I was put on a lot of antipsychotics during that time. Maybe I was psychotic and simply don't remember.

As for helping me, while I was at the hospital I felt I was improving, confident of it even. Then I went back home/hell. I found no true peace until I moved across the globe to be with my husband in a healthy household. Hospitals don't solve horrible home situations, they just serve as a breather.

The country I'm in now seems to put less emphasis on inpatient care and works more with intensive outpatient services. What's nice is you aren't ever discharged from these services if you have a chronic condition. The care here has been amazing and though I have had much more serious relapses than I had back in the hospital, I haven't felt any need for one here.

• Like 1

I mean, was it because of being suicidal, causing harm to yourself, psychosis, refusing meds? And how did the hospital help that concern? Just wondering.

I tried to commit suicide multiple times, and ended up in the hospital (the usual hospital).  After maybe 7 or 8 times, I went to other hospitals that tried (unsuccessfully) to get me to stop (and to find the right cocktail and get a diagnosis).  In the beginning I was in the usual hospital for months at a time, with no success (1995-2002), then I started to become psychotic (I hadn't heard voices before 2002). 

Then I ended up in another hospital because I was psychotic, off meds, and had gone missing for 2-3 days.  I don't really remember being transferred to the psych hospital after "living" in the ER of another hospital for a couple days.  But I was.  I always went voluntarily because I didn't want to be forced to stay in each place for more than the 3 days.  I ended up being there more than 3 days (usually), but at least it wasn't the 10-day mandatory stay.

Hospitals helped me stay alive when there (both in the ICU and the psych unit).  I had a temporary diagnosis until I started with my current pdoc in 2003.  So that last hospital admission for psychotic behavior only helped because my new pdoc had been observing me, and he came up with the diagnosis.

I mean, was it because of being suicidal, causing harm to yourself, psychosis, refusing meds? And how did the hospital help that concern? Just wondering.

I was hospitalized(In-Patient) when I was 18. I actually turned 19 in there. I went voluntarily because I was having really bad suicidal thoughts, drinking a lot, and had picked up a cocaine habit. I was self harming as well, but this was just another sign that I need immediate help. My life was just out of control. The normal stay at that facility was 3-5 days, I was there for 9 days. They took me off all the psych meds I was on, and put me on new stuff. We had multiple group counselling sessions everyday, as well as one on one counselling with a therapist. I guess being In-Patient helped because you get so much help condensed into a small time frame, where as usually people only see their pdoc once a month. It must of helped me because that was the one and only time that I've been hospitalized. I hope everything is ok, and don't be afraid to go IP if you will like you need to.

I hear people who should know better say that people only go to the hospital when depressed, that when they are manic they feel good. It makes me want to scream. 5150 manic/psychotic first time. Not exactly sure of the reasoning. I wasn't dangerous. The last time I thought I was there for research and deprogramming. I left as wacky as I went in. 

I've been in twice, once voluntarily after i tried to jump in front of a car. Stayed for 4 days, then left AMA because they wanted to keep me there for 3 months and i said screw that and discharged myself.

Second time was a 5150 for hearing voices telling me to kill myself, plus i was self harming pretty badly. Again was there for 4 days but this time they discharged me because they had adjusted my meds and they seemed to be working. It helped in that regard, to have a safe place to do the adjustment where i couldnt harm myself. This time i found it to be beneficial to go in because it kept me safe.

Thanks. Sorry you've all had a rough time. My tdoc thought I might need to go inpatient again, but I didn't want to. Then last night, I was talking to my husband and thinking about it and I didn't see where being inpatient has ever helped me before. It did keep me safe, though, but I think I'm ok without the hospital. I just needed to hear others' experiences. Thanks guys.

Both times I quit my meds with the knowledge of the doctor but against his recommendation.

I get out of control, my thoughts get disorganized, but I don't hear voices or see things, and I have these awful discussions with my family, specially with my father. One of the times I assaulted him for him yelling at me. I couldn't control the anger.

Went in for that. And last time, a year ago I decided after reading a quote from the bible or something "Put your house in order". I started throwing things away and cleaning my room and ended up with the police at my door the next day because I spent the whole night awake and smudged paint all over objects like voodoo type shit and when my parents saw me in the morning I was all covered in paint.

Here you go.

I've been admitted voluntary and involuntarily several times. About 15 total.

The first couple times were bad self harm, or a suicide attempt. A couple times I went for a more in depth assessment and med management. I generally ended up IP while depressed or psychotic. My last long stay (6 months) was for assessment, med management and ECT. It was a voluntary admission to a more open ward with a lot to do at a fancy psych hospital.

My last admission I was in a mixed episode, super stressed, and needed a fast med change in a safe place. This was October 2003. I was voluntary. I was there for 3 weeks. I had a lot of privileges, it was a nice break. I crashed hard when I got out due to an abusive and controlling living situation.

Different times have affected me different ways. Sometimes it was good for me, sometimes I needed to be there or I'd have done serious damage to myself. A few times I was out of touch with reality.

First time = Self-harm

Second time = Mania

Third to tenth time = Psychosis/Self-harm

Eleventh time = Mania

I felt really upset that I was stabilized in the hospital the last time I was there. I felt that they killed the mania right before i could accomplish my goal.

Take care.

• 2 weeks later...