CrazyBoards.org

What side effects have yall had will starting Lamictal

Just started Lamictal about 6 days ago. I've noticed the last 3 days my anxiety, and depression symptoms have slightly increased. As well as my annoying(very upsetting) intrusive thoughts of wanting to leave my husband. 

I've also been horrible about calling my kids and dogs by the wrong name, nearly every time I go to call one of them.

does this all sound normal? Will it get better? What else should I expect? 

I'm also on brintellix 20mg (just came down from 30) & also Buspar 20mg 2xday.

Lamictal titration is a rocky one. You will have a lot of side effects until you get to a therapeutic level. Your mood may be labile, you may have physical side effects (especially aches in your legs and lower back), you may have vivid dreams (and some of them may be nightmares). I know, it sounds awful. But once you get to your proper level, the side effects will stop. Usually, people feel better at 100-200mg (sorry, I know that seems a long way off). Rarely, someone settles down at 75mg, everyone's different.

To me (and I am not a doctor), those sound like Lamictal side effects. You might want to tell your husband (sometime when you are not wanting to leave him) that your mood may be labile.

The side effect to watch out for is a rash. Realistically, all anti-convulsants cause rashes, and I have rashes on my forearms, but they are not visible to anyone but me (I can feel the bumps). People also get them on their shins. HOWEVER, there is a type of rash, Stephens Johnson's Syndrome (SJS), that is very serious. So if you get any type of rash, call your pdoc, and let him/her decide what to do. S/he may take you off of it, or slow down your titration. Around here, we call SJS, THE RASH, as opposed to minor ones.

This is a very rare side effect, but because we collect crazies here, we do have some members who have experienced it. I bet one of them will come by, and give you some more information.

When I was titrating up on Lamictal, I got tremendous anxiety. Everytime it died down, it was time to increase the dose again. However, when I reached my target dose and stayed there for a while, the anxiety went away and I felt much better.

Variety of issues, but the primary one was quite violent (literally and figuratively) bouts of anger. My emotions were subject to extremes at the time, which was part of the point of the script, so I'm not sure whether it was just amping up what was there, inducing the mood swings, or just not doing anything and I would have experienced them even if I wasn't on the med. I managed to hit 200 mg and it never abated so I abandoned it. Take it with a grain of salt -- I tend to react extremely poorly to meds, except for benzodiazapenes which subdue the emotional extremes. My advice would be what others have said -- give your husband a heads up that your emotions may get worse before they get better and see what happens once you've reached a therapeutic dose. People for whom it works seem very happy with it, so it's probably worth trying to ride out the titration.

Good luck.

Lamictal titration is a rocky one. You will have a lot of side effects until you get to a therapeutic level. Your mood may be labile, you may have physical side effects (especially aches in your legs and lower back), you may have vivid dreams (and some of them may be nightmares). I know, it sounds awful. But once you get to your proper level, the side effects will stop. Usually, people feel better at 100-200mg (sorry, I know that seems a long way off). Rarely, someone settles down at 75mg, everyone's different.

To me (and I am not a doctor), those sound like Lamictal side effects. You might want to tell your husband (sometime when you are not wanting to leave him) that your mood may be labile.

I have been having back pain, but I was thinking that was a flair up from a previous back injury when I was a teen. Though it's just a full ache compared to my normal stabbing pain.  And YES vivid dreams but I have been having those since starting buspar. They had gotten to where they were not every nighnight I had several weird ones last night. 

My husband is aware of my feelings of wanting to leave at times. I tell him most everything. He is a very supportive and loving man. (which makes me wanting to leave him make NO sense) 

I haven't told him they have been back a lot but did mention my anxiety has been up  the last few days. 

My depression is ther. Slightly more intense then normal as well. 

I do hope this medication works. I'm tired of trying new meds. 

My titration on Lamictal is similar to many.  I had massive mood swings within a day. I was very mixed at the time so very hard for me to separate the bipolar symptoms from the med side effects.  But I will say the higher the dose the less side effects or reduction in symptoms.  

Not been officially dx with BP. But she has mentioned she is monitoring me for possible mild symptoms. 

I just feel emontionally like I've taken 2 steps back since starting it and at times ever so slightly confused. (perfect example. We are on vacation and traveling and the GPS will say right, my husband will ask "Right?" to confirm and I will be certain it said left only to look at the GPS and be surprised it said right. As well as calling the kids and dogs by the wrong name nearly every time I call one of them) 

I just hope it gets better. 

Not been officially dx with BP. But she has mentioned she is monitoring me for possible mild symptoms. 

I just feel emontionally like I've taken 2 steps back since starting it and at times ever so slightly confused. (perfect example. We are on vacation and traveling and the GPS will say right, my husband will ask "Right?" to confirm and I will be certain it said left only to look at the GPS and be surprised it said right. As well as calling the kids and dogs by the wrong name nearly every time I call one of them) 

I just hope it gets better. 

immediate memory loss is what my Pdoc called it.  Very frustrating huh? I even experienced short term memory loss.  It did go away though.

After going from 100 to 200mg, I had a weird ADHD-manic state for 2 days but I loved it, it made me motivated to do things and I think the Lamictal continues to help with that. Gaps in my brain such as not remembering what I was doing/saying a few seconds ago. (Which I think people in this thread are talking about when they say immediate memory loss.) I've definitely been having vivid dreams. Disturbing, not not nightmares. 

My sexual urges are very, very high. 

My anxiety today is bordering on the edge of a full blown panic attack. :(  Had a good crying fit earlier.  But the 2 days before I never needed anything extra for my anxiety... ugh i hate the huge swings back and forth.    It is that time of the month (sorry if thats tmi for some) so wondering if thats feeding into it. its the 1st one since starting.  2 weeks will be Saturday.    I have had no patience lately, and rather aggravated with a lot of stuff that I normally wouldnt be.

After going from 100 to 200mg, I had a weird ADHD-manic state for 2 days but I loved it, it made me motivated to do things and I think the Lamictal continues to help with that. Gaps in my brain such as not remembering what I was doing/saying a few seconds ago. (Which I think people in this thread are talking about when they say immediate memory loss.) I've definitely been having vivid dreams. Disturbing, not not nightmares. 

My sexual urges are very, very high. 

Yes, no nightmares but very vivid.
I could use that ADHD-Manic if it got me up cleaning

I would also LOVE some sexual urges... I've only been legitimately interested maybe 2x since sept. :( it really sucks. I know it's not med related because it started over a month before I started ANYTHING.  My poor husband.. I know he can pick up on the fact im not all that interested which makes me feel bad.

Just started Lamictal about 6 days ago. I've noticed the last 3 days my anxiety, and depression symptoms have slightly increased. As well as my annoying(very upsetting) intrusive thoughts of wanting to leave my husband. 

I've also been horrible about calling my kids and dogs by the wrong name, nearly every time I go to call one of them.

does this all sound normal? Will it get better? What else should I expect? 

I'm also on brintellix 20mg (just came down from 30) & also Buspar 20mg 2xday.

Hello and welcome.

I think it's too soon for me to be part of the Lamictal club but for starting it on my research I can tell you it actually can increase thinking capacities, like concentration over confusion.

The confusion is listed and my doctor said I could experience a little bit of a downgrade of my cognitive functions at the beginning of the treatment even with the low dosage that he prescribed (25mg once a day at morning).

This confusion part I didn't experienced and I hope that will pass because can be really bad and make you kind of annoyed, I had it on topiramate for a while and couldn't formulate or express a full thought.

Are you at low dosage of Lamictal, right? Until now never heard of a drug that increased dosage decreased confusion, so, if the confusion isn't impairment type, I would gave it a time to adjust.

Same goes to depression, you are probably not at the target dosage.

I would say give it a try, I'll tell you my experience and why I advise you on trying it.

I had experienced intrusive thoughts at the first, first and a half month, but not felt annoyed about it instead I felt disappointed.

I had tried buspar in the past for a couple of months but it messed so bad with my blood pressure and didn't work out the way it was supposed to so I come back on benzo, have you tried benzo for this annoyed feelings and anxiety? At the the beginning of my treatment on Lamotrigine I had to take some (Insomnia, but probably helped with anxiety and annoyance).

The intrusive toughts for me were depressing but went away and the frequency of it was little and fading, I guess it was because the low dosage that most of people start on it, that's the safe method, so, we are not completely on a therapeutic level of the drug so I cut the Lamotrigine some slack on this.

The frustration I had, the so called medicine that helps with depressing moods was making me having depressing intrusive thoughts? Luckily  it went away, I think it's an adjustment until hitting the target dose is a very slow process on Lamotrigine so I gave it a try, the dose was so slow at the beginning and now at 100mg I'm totally free of it and not feeling frustrated or more depressed that I already was.

Until now (3 months). 

I had headaches for the first month almost everyday and a "light" insomnia.

Mood wise I felt safe but this week my head was a little speedy and I was a little bit too outgoing, exposing myself, had a need to share things and felt a little bit confused, I can call it a little bit of hypomanic but I dosed down risperidone and stopped it. Yesterday started saphris, I think I can atribute that mood change to tapering the risperidone and not lamotrigine itself, I feel ok after first day on another antipsychotic, I had just two not so bad nightmares and woke up rested and not worried.

I'm sticking with lamotrigine if nothing bad happens, the side effects after 3 months almost completely went away, a headache once a week and insomnia one or other night.

I think it don't slow or have drowsiness effects which makes me gradually more productive than previously mood drugs and I'm hopping that will have a positive effect in my depression feeling safe enough to not go to manic and being more active.

Hope you the best and I'm sorry to about the pain problems, that is something you should really talk to your doctor, don't have a clue how to procede with that.

I emailed my Dr. Last friday night and explained everything to her, and told her I felt like I was standing on the edge of a cliff looking down into a swirl of loosing control, and just felt the panic waves coming just to the surface over and over again but would never fully come out... She advised me to discontinue it, said that it sounded like it was to activating for me. I felt my anxiety level completely back to normal the following day, THANK GOODNESS. I have an actual appt with her 1st week of Aug so, we will see what else we can try then I suppose.

I emailed my Dr. Last friday night and explained everything to her, and told her I felt like I was standing on the edge of a cliff looking down into a swirl of loosing control, and just felt the panic waves coming just to the surface over and over again but would never fully come out... She advised me to discontinue it, said that it sounded like it was to activating for me. I felt my anxiety level completely back to normal the following day, THANK GOODNESS. I have an actual appt with her 1st week of Aug so, we will see what else we can try then I suppose.

Glad you're fine.

Lamotrigine for some people can be triggering, my doctor said for me to watch for hypomanic symptoms.

I can feel a little more active while on it, because of that  I'm linking it so far, this week my therapist said maybe I would need something for mania too because, somehow I become more euphoric and enthusiastic in only two months of the drug.

I wish I could just do a mono therapy, I'm on watch and I'm making a trial on a AP this weeks , so I don't know how a mono therapy on Lamictal would be like, I'm thinking of little doses of lithium just to keep things at bay but I hope I can only stay at Lamotrigine as moods stab...