CrazyBoards.org
lisa2712

The Dangers of Not Having Any Friends (Long-Term)

On 12/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, psychwardjesus said:

I'm sure it's a risk factor; for what, I don't know though.

It can definitely make the social anxiety and depression worse when you don't have any friends. All those crappy thoughts seem true because if you aren't worthless and loathsome then why are you alone? I was stuck thinking like that for a long time. The social anxiety and depression can make you want to isolate yourself, which can make you more anxious and depressed, which makes you want to isolate yourself even more and so on. They won't like me anyway, miserable weirdo that I am, so what's the point? So you push people away and never ever let anyone get close, because it'll just end in failure and rejection anyway. And that went on for many years - I'm alone and nobody likes me because I'm a piece of shit, and I did nothing to try to disprove this because the rejection which I thought was inevitable would've hurt even more.

I'm going to see Knives Out at the cinema next week with a friend. The first real-life friend I've made since I left school, and I moved soon after finishing school so I have been friendless for a long time. I haven't beaten those crappy thoughts completely but I'm now doing things which challenge them. Everyone hates me? Well she doesn't seem to, and she invited me to go and see this film with her. Being alone just gives those crappy thoughts more power to drag you down. And the moral of this boring story? Being alone is shit and it's not as impossible as it may seem to meet someone who likes you. Something like that.

Good that you have two true friends psychwardjesus. For us introverts it's the quality rather than the quantity which matters. Two close friends or 200 casual acquaintances? Don't mean to dismiss your problems with making new friends.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Sara909
      So I've been with my boyfriend on and off for almost 5 years. I want to love him I really do, I want to have a good relationship. But we don't even have sex. I'm 21 years old, almost 22. I still love with my mom and I suffer from depression. I'm worried I'll fall into a spiral of depression like I did the last time we broke up and I almost committed suicide. It would be so much easier if I had someone to talk to to tell me it would all be fine and i will find somebody else who makes me way more happy. Honestly I don't remember when my life was somewhat normal. I work 50,000 times harder then my boyfriend. I actually make decent money and I'm going places and being recognized for things I do. Where as my boyfriend hasn't worked in months, he just now got a job that pays him an average amount of money. For a man I think it's shit pay. My dad and all the men in my family basically except my mom side. Work super hard for their cash. My dads side is very traditional in that sense. So the fact that I'm dating a low life is very concerning. I have cheated and we broke up then got back together a few times. We have got in raging fights etc I've thrown things. Clearly very unhealthy. I used to be much happier. I wish I had friends. My only friend is my mom and him. It's very depressing. Right now I'm on a very low dose of escitalopram. Which helps a bit and my job definitely helps but I don't have a good support system at home. I miss having friends and a supportive boyfriend. I don't know how to help this situation. Or maybe I do and I just need some encouragement. Any advice? Anyone been through something similar? No judgment please. If I want judgment I'll go to Yahoo answers... lol thanks in advance ?? 
      photo is from when we first started dating maybe less than I year in. 

• By lisa2712
      Hi,

Is it ok to not have any friends?
      I haven't had any friends since I was 11-12 yo (20 years ago.) One person told me I can't be healthy without having any friends, my sister said it's not normal to not have friends, and my recent counselor told me, "Do you want to stay how you are (without friends) or get better?" (Implying I'm sick or unhealthy due to not having friends). I have not been friendless by choice BTW- I had a lot of social anxiety when I was in school (and now) and I avoided my peers. It's only now, at 31, that I am trying to make friend(s) at the place I volunteer at.

Thank You,
      Shana