CrazyBoards.org

I was on it many years ago, and while on it yes, I did comply with the weekly labs etc.  It was a PITA though because the pharmacy could only give me a week's worth of pills at a time; but only if the bloodwork turned out ok.  If the bloodwork came back with problems of any kind (ie with me my white count went down to just about 0.00), for me I had to stop taking it.  For others it might mean a med adjustment, more labwork, then see how things are. You get used to it all though.

I hated clozaril, and it left lasting side effects that never went away since I stopped taking it a couple of months after starting it.

BUT ... there are many people out there who Clozaril has worked well for.  Hopefully some of those people will chime in and post.

I'm on my second round of clozapine - I was on it a few years ago, but I think the dose was too high and I couldn't handle the drooling side effect.  I've been back on it since I started seeing a new pdoc about 4 months ago.  I was in a really bad place at the time with heavy duty insomnia and desperate to try anything, so agreed to go back on the clozapine.  I'm currently at 150mg/day and it's made a major difference as far as my sleep goes.  I wouldn't say I'm 100% well now, but I'm certainly better off than I was without it. I'm not aware of any negative side effects, other than a bit of drooling at night which isn't remotely as bad as it was when I was taking 300+mg a day.

The blood tests are a nuisance, but I stick to them in any case. I've not heard of only being given a week's supply at a time, as Melissa said - I get a full month's script after every pdoc appointment.

Around here, if you take clozapine the lab work is required. You can't get more medication without having the lab work. So, not complying is not possible. It's pretty simple. No lab work = no medication. 

^^THIS.

The blood tests are a nuisance, but I stick to them in any case. I've not heard of only being given a week's supply at a time, as Melissa said - I get a full month's script after every pdoc appointment.

Getting only a week at a time and weekly bloodwork was the only way I could be prescribed it.  It also involved the insurance people calling the pharmacy to confirm I could get the med.  It was very complicated.

I've been on clozapine for over 5 years now and have not had too many issues with the medication.  I take 325mg all at bedtime.

I have to go for the bloodwork in order to get my medication.  The blood work starts with every week for the first 6 months, then every other week for the next 6 months and then after being on the medication for a year, you only have to go once a month.  I'm use to having the blood work done at this point as it has become part of my routine.

It can cause sedation in the beginning but I've gotten over the daytime sedation.

It has really helped my hallucinations and my mood symptoms.  I no longer see things that aren't there and I'm no longer having severe mood swings.  It has also helped with some of the negative symptoms like social withdrawal.

I hope this helps and if you have questions, feel free to ask.

I have been on clozapine for over 2 years. It has really helped me a lot.  I wouldn't say I am perfect on it but it has helped me function.  Like others have said if you don't comply with blood tests you won't get the medication.  At first it can be a hassle getting a blood test a week but eventually you only have to do it once a month which in my opinion isn't bad. If you do start it make sure you watch your weight, I have gained a lot of weight since I started it. It also can be sedative and cause drooling.  Overall from my experiences I would say it has been a good medicine for me.

^^ I completely agree on watching your weight if you start this med.  Weight gain and overeating was a side effect the never went away after stopping clozaril.  I needed a med for the symptom of weight control (naltrexone), even now.  I'm sure not everyone has had this experience, but just saying that it happened with me.  Had I known to watch my weight to begin with, things might have been a little different.

I have been on it for about 2 years.  I now only have to get the bloodwork done once a month.  The lab faxes the blood results to my pharmacy and then they call the manufacturer to get the approval.  I am always having to call the pharmacy because they usually get the fax at night but have to wait until the next day to get permission, and the results must sit somewhere and not get filled. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but every time I call either I have to go into a deep explanation of what needs to be done, or they lie and say the "just" got the fax results.

I find it very sedating. Way more they Seroquel and I take my whole dose at night. I also drool while I sleep.

However, it has been great for my moods.

• 2 weeks later...