CrazyBoards.org

Retroactive Jealousy, Anxiety, Depression, Rumination and so much more!

So as the title suggests, I have some issues. Depression caused by ruminations and constant irrational thoughts and "mental movies" regarding the past. The list of triggers that start off the ruminations is growing. These are almost always in relation to my wife's past with other guys. I know this is irrational, I know this has nothing to do with me. I know all the common responses. I also know that I need to do something ASAP as it's tearing me and my relationship apart. I'm seeing a therapist and have been on Lexapro, Prozac, and Wellburtin with almost no positive response. In working on these issues with the therapist, but unlike other "intrusive thoughts" something like exposure therapy won't work. 

My my question is this: my doctor is running out of ideas for medication and is close to giving up on prescribing me anything. I hate being on meds, but am willing to keep trying if there is something effective out there.  Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks. 

Welcome to CB :)

Idk what to suggest for meds ... but what are ALL the meds have you tried?  What are the combinations of meds you've tried?  There are 100s of combinations of meds out there.  It is very hard to run out of options of med combinations.  How long have you tried working on trying meds (How long has your pdoc tried)?

And if your pdoc is running out of ideas for medication, I would find a new pdoc.

Melissa,

Ive been on 20 and 40mg Prozac. 10mg Lexapro. And 150mg of Wellbutrin. All separate from one another. Never any combination of meds. Began with Prozac (2.5 months) then Lexapro (6ish weeks) then Wellbutrin (6ish weeks)

As a brief follow-on, my PCP hasn't necessarily given up on medication; he's admittedly reached the limit of his knowledge in this area. He's referred me to a psychiatrist to discuss other med options. 

My my concern is that medication will not treat this issue. Has anyone had success treating excessive ruminations with either anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication? 

I have read a lot about OCD and intrusive thoughts, and none of it really fits what I experience--aside from the ongoing and uncontrolled ruminating on a single issue. I do not think about the possibility of hurting myself or others. I do no have any compulsions. I do not have an "if/then" thought process wherein I think if I don't do XYZ then ABC bad thing will happen. It's just been years of irrationally jealous and anxiety-producing thoughts about the passage of time, and most commonly about my spouse's sexual experiences BEFORE we got together. I don't know if this is technically an "intrusive thought" but it is almost debilitating, and makes me more anxious, irritable and depressed. 

Edited by DCist

There's still a good few other types of antidepressants out there, and like Melissa said, there's combinations to be tried if that isn't enough. For me, I found my antipsychotic medication worked well with my depression and lowers the spikes of anxiety I get, I still get intrusive thoughts and am generally still fragile but it's worked wonders for me thus far. Your soon-to-be psychiatrist might recommend it, if he/she does, don't be put off from trying them.

Don't worry about running out of medicines to try, you've got another 29 favours to try.

There's still a good few other types of antidepressants out there, and like Melissa said, there's combinations to be tried if that isn't enough. For me, I found my antipsychotic medication worked well with my depression and lowers the spikes of anxiety I get, I still get intrusive thoughts and am generally still fragile but it's worked wonders for me thus far. Your soon-to-be psychiatrist might recommend it, if he/she does, don't be put off from trying them.

Don't worry about running out of medicines to try, you've got another 29 favours to try.

Thanks Southern. Much appreciated. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar issues that were at least somewhat successfully treated with meds. 

I think it is definitely worth finding a psychiatrist (pdoc).  They specialize in meds.  I thought you already had a pdoc working with you, when you said 'you're DR.'  I'm sorry I assumed.  I have been treated for anxiety and depression on so many different meds, in combinations of different meds throughout the years..

Don't give up. I've probably been on at least 20 different psych meds, varying in combination. You have plenty more medicine you can try. Like Melissaw72 said, a psych doctor would be alot better at prescribing and diagnosing these kind of things. I have the same thing that you described in your original post happening with me and my boyfriend. I have irrational jealousy and constantly think he's cheating. That brings tons of anxiety and depression. I wish I had the answer how to stop it because then it would help me and you out. My best guess is that we're just not on the right combo of meds. I hope everything works out.

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody for their input. It has been a rough few days. Super high anxiety. Which of course always leads to increased depressio and irritability. Which of course adds additional undue stress to my relationship. Beginning to lose hope that much can be done. I'll see what the psychiatrist has to say and go from there. Thanks again.