CrazyBoards.org

flu-fears

Okay, I have control over most of my anxiety with the help of my beloved klonopin(among others). But then I go into Target, which is crowded and it seems as if everyone is coughing and no one seems to be covering their mouths. (Stupid, germ-spreading people!) This, of course leads to a panic attack which led to me running my cart into two diff. people to get the hell out of Dodge. ONce in the car, I immediately use my "car-wipes" on everyone's hands, in addition to hand sanitizing gel.

I went to my hairdresser and her kid had symptoms of flu and I came home and scrubbed my hands raw and threw my clothes in the wash for fear of getting the flu.

My basic problem is I have myself terrified of getting the flu. Has anyone had it? Does it really warrant the terrible fear I have. I can't stand it. I just know any day now(probably on Christmas morn.) I am going to wake up with the dreaded flu.

What is worse: the flu or the fear?

Someone calm my fears, PLEASE!! I am going crazy. Does anyone one else have this problem? mel 1(haven't been around in a while)

Okay, I have control over most of my anxiety with the help of my beloved klonopin(among others). But then I go into Target, which is crowded and it seems as if everyone is coughing and no one seems to be covering their mouths. (Stupid, germ-spreading people!) This, of course leads to a panic attack which led to me running my cart into two diff. people to get the hell out of Dodge. ONce in the car, I immediately use my "car-wipes" on everyone's hands, in addition to hand sanitizing gel.

I went to my hairdresser and her kid had symptoms of flu and I came home and scrubbed my hands raw and threw my clothes in the wash for fear of getting the flu.

My basic problem is I have myself terrified of getting the flu. Has anyone had it? Does it really warrant the terrible fear I have. I can't stand it. I just know any day now(probably on Christmas morn.) I am going to wake up with the dreaded flu.

What is worse: the flu or the fear?

Someone calm my fears, PLEASE!! I am going crazy. Does anyone one else have this problem? mel 1(haven't been around in a while)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mel

Hey...whats the worst that can happen-you get the flu. The fear is always worst, always. When I was a single mother, I was really lost into my panic disorder. I would shop medical walk-in clinics, like an alcoholic would shop package stores. I was convinced every Christmas that when I would take down the tree that this would be the last Christmas, I would be dead next year. Anxiety is so freaking painful, you expressed your feelings well cause I have done the same types of things. Thank God its been a while since my last attack, but I would use my medication when I started to feel the way you did today. No one should have to feel that way. And I still use those germ wipes, can you believe it? Such a neurotic-gotta love us!

Syl

Edit..oh, this sounds trite, it isn't meant to be...get a flu shot and get a copy of Dr. Claire Weeks, "Hope and Health for Your Nerves", shes a british doctor who worked on panic disorder in the fifties..when they called it a nervous breakdown. Shes so loving and explains exactly what your nervous system is going through, it just puts the panic in its proper place.... In your frayed nerve endings, not in your head.

hey sweets...o.k. take a deep breath!!!  now exhale!!!

the panic is probably worse...the flu it SUCKS but is not worse than the obsessive thoughts!!!

the panic n worry can make you ill...you're doin' everything right as far as washin' hands regulary  but NOT until they're RAW!!!    ;)

sweets i know how the ocd thoughts can intrude in your every action n moment...that being said you might NEVER get the flu this season...but if you do, it WILL pass until then STOP FREAKING OUT ON THIS!!!! 

sorry for typing loudly but i think you'll be fine...if you end up with the flu....i think you'll be fine!

don't get me wrong...i know the panic you're talking about...and it SUCKS!!!

but i was just tryin' ta tell you it'll be o.k.

what meds are you on for panic?

good thoughts ta you n yours !!!

flutterfly xo

Heya Mel,

Well, I don't have panic disorder but in my job I get exposed to like a billion flus and colds weekly.

OK, not a billion, but a large number.

As long as you're otherwise healthy, don't sweat about the flu.

Otherwise healthy people still *get* the flu, but mostly just feel like crap for a few days, taking a lot of tylenol and hot baths.

Especially if they have gotten a flu shot, which provides good protection against 3 flu viruses, and partial protection against a wack of other ones.

Washing your hands is of course crucial but *not* to the point of hurting yourself!

So yeah, I agree, your fear is likely worse than getting the flu would be.

--ncc--

Mel,

I tend to worry about catching the flu as well, though not to such a degree.  I have severe asthma, so getting the flu is not a fun proposition.

I worked around lots of patients on a daily basis for about 5 years and developed some basic strategies. First, I always get a flu shot. Second, I try to avoid touching my nose and rubbing my eyes, since that is where the flu virus likes to start.

Third, I try to avoid touching common surfaces like door knobs, shaking hands, and people who are obviously sick. When this is unavavoidable, I wash my hands.  The new dry hand cleansers would be convenient. 

After that just good health practices like getting adequate sleep, drink enough water and take a multivitamin. 

It doesn't work every year, but I feel that it has helped cut down on my colds at least. 

Don't panic about it.  Face it, we all get sick from time to time.  Also the REAL influenza strikes quickly within a day (not unusual to got to work feeling fine and be sick as a dog by evening) and typically has a fever. 

It is NOT a stomach ailment, and it doesn't have as much nasal congestion as a cold, which tends to follow the old adage, 3 days coming, 3 days here, 3 days going.

Good luck and be well. A.M.

• 3 weeks later...

I suffer from fear of contamination, which I try to joke about to lighten it up a bit.  I'm more of a : did someone else sip from that glass, touch that food, sneeze over that food, coughing like crazy and sneezing near me without covering, foreign objects in food and drink kinf of guy.  Im lucky enough (sic) that this can lead to compulsions like constantly checking drink bottles for signs of contamination, which can be damned embaressing too.

As for fear of the flu, influenza is a very rare condition that most people never get.

What we mainly get are bad colds, which can include infections of the throat, nose, sinuses, chest etc.

These go around like crazy, and no matter how healthy you are you will always get one now or then.

I consider myself someone who rarely gets them (I used to get them all the time but later realised they were actually depressive episodes).  When I do get them though I hate it, it makes you feel down and can restrict your breathing with blocked sinuses, runny noses and chest infections etc.

Lots of vitamin c, whether you take tablets, garlic, kiwi fruit, tomatoes, whatever is the only way to really help colds as anti-biotics do very little in most cases. 

I find pseudoephredine really good for sinus and panadeine (paracetemol 500mg, codeine 8mg , over the counter) good for the other symptoms.  There is an interaction between pseudoephredine and most anti-depressants, but it doesnt seem to worry me and my p-doc said it is fine in moderation. 

Ive JUST got over a summer cold (its summer here down south) and they do stink but what can you do?

You arent alone, but rest assured that influenza is quite rare, colds are quite common, and there isnt a lot we can do about it. 

Archived