CrazyBoards.org

1200 calories per day and I feel full, is this normal?

Hey guys,

Since the pdoc gave me Luvox for OCD almost 2 months ago I noticed my appetite decreased a lot. Also it's rare to feel hunger pangs. I eat 3 meals a day. Never snack.

-Breakfast around 9am,
-lunch at 4pm,

-supper at 8pm

I've been eating only 1200 calories per day for over 2 weeks and feel full with this. Is this normal? Why is this happening?

Hi. I want you to know that I moved your post. That's because we don't allow for calorie counts on the ED board. Also because you seem to attribute this to a side effect of the med, rather than to your having suddenly developed an eating disorder.

What you mention is the absolute lower limit for an adult human to get by per day. So as long as you're eating balanced meals then maybe it's alright.

Your body can adjust to lower caloric intakes, and I sometimes wonder if those daily calorie needs calculators are accurate to begin with. I find I can be quite full on 1800 if it's quality food, and I can get by on several hundred less than that without any fuss. Do you notice that your energy levels are lower at 1200? If you're full and you have enough energy, I wouldn't worry too much about the calorie count unless you start to get underweight. I think 1200 is considered a starvation diet, though, so I imagine you would start to get on the skinny side after too long.

Edited by Flash

What I do is never count calories.  Instead I watch my sugar intake carefully.  That has been the most helpful thing in my life that has got my weight pretty much under control.  It doesn't matter the calories to me, but it does matter how much sugar I eat every day.

What I do is never count calories.  Instead I watch my sugar intake carefully.  That has been the most helpful thing in my life that has got my weight pretty much under control.  It doesn't matter the calories to me, but it does matter how much sugar I eat every day.

My weight loss stalled when I started getting bad sugar cravings, and I actually gained a few pounds to boot. I'm fairly certain I was still under my daily calorie needs, too. According to one researcher, sugar acts like a switch and you start storing fat if you eat too much of it. It is likely a survival mechanism in nature, but in the current environment of massive quantities of refined sugar, it leads to obesity and metabolic syndrome.