CrazyBoards.org

Alternate to Provigil

My insurance has "excluded" Provigil  (meaning they will not pay for it, or Modifinal, its generic anymore).  So my Pharmacist and Pdoc are looking into alternates.  Anyone ever heard of anything similar to Provigil?  I'm  to antsy to wait on them.

Has your pdoc sent in a prior authorization to the insurance company?  Sometimes the insurance company will pay for it if they know how important it is to your treatment. 

My insurance company did cover 2 pills/day, but I needed 3.  So neuro sent in a PA.  It was initially denied, but when my pdoc and neuro both wrote a letter to them (insurance company), they said they'd cover it.  A big PITA, but I finally got it covered.  I think for you maybe it might work similarly to what my DRs did.  I don't think it would hurt to try.

Has your pdoc sent in a prior authorization to the insurance company?  Sometimes the insurance company will pay for it if they know how important it is to your treatment. 

My insurance company did cover 2 pills/day, but I needed 3.  So neuro sent in a PA.  It was initially denied, but when my pdoc and neuro both wrote a letter to them (insurance company), they said they'd cover it.  A big PITA, but I finally got it covered.  I think for you maybe it might work similarly to what my DRs did.  I don't think it would hurt to try.

That's kind of what my insurance has been doing the last couple of year, every 3 or 4 months they would want a prior auth. from the Pdoc.  It would be nice if my Pharmacist just got mixed up and it turns into a prior auth. thing again. 

My insurance won't pay for it either. I pay cash at Costco even though it is very expensive.

CVS charges $800/mo. Costco is $122

Sorry Savannah, too much for  my  poor blood.

That's kind of what my insurance has been doing the last couple of year, every 3 or 4 months they would want a prior auth. from the Pdoc.  It would be nice if my Pharmacist just got mixed up and it turns into a prior auth. thing again. 

I would definitely ask your pharmacist to double check in the system ... either that or ask your pdoc to send in another one.

It's been a few years since I've taken it and while the brand name was about $160/60 tablets the generic was only $12 for the same (out of pocket, neither was covered) - can you check with the pharmacy to make sure they're pricing the generic correctly?

A little update, my insurance will not pay for Provigil or Modifinal anymore and so now it is kind of an apples to oranges thing.   My Pdoc switched to Novegal (spelling), but it turns out this has an $80.00 co-pa.  At this point I already have been through the worst part of the withdrawals as I haven't had any for a week and a half, I feel like telling the dr. I feel the best thing to do is just discontinue.  It worked good but this yo-yo thing is ridiculous, it's always something with this med,  I'll just let the f**king insurance dictate what I take, screw the Pdoc.  Sorry for whining I just can't pay $80 either, just frustrated because after talking to the insurance this whole thing don't have nothing to do with Pdoc just the usual insurance formulary change.  What am I worried about.  I hear it's good to go off and on and off and on psych meds