CrazyBoards.org

Hearing things only at night

Right now, it's dissonant Dixieland jazz. If I move my head, it goes away, but move it back and it starts again. I try to not pay attention to it, but it's hard to ignore. Only at night, and only when I'm in bed with the fan running. 

Right now, it's dissonant Dixieland jazz. If I move my head, it goes away, but move it back and it starts again. I try to not pay attention to it, but it's hard to ignore. Only at night, and only when I'm in bed with the fan running. 

Now it's changed to some vocal rock song with a bass singer.

I have the same thing at night. Different types on different nights. Sometimes it's just muffled conversations. I don't tell anyone because i don't trust them to not look at me weirder than they already do. My psychiatrist left the practice in 2012 i think and i haven't seen anyone besides my reg. Dr. Plus, i figure if i KNOW it's not real, i can't be THAT much crazier than i am now.

Good to know I'm not alone in this.

• Like 1

I have music playing in my head most of the time, so it'd be hard to tell the difference ;)

Is it more of an internal thought or a full-blown auditory hallucination?

Nah. It's external. Some nights, I hear music, always from behind the fan in the window. In winter, it can come from the fan in the heater. Never voices; always music but sometimes with a singer, though I can never understand the lyrics. It's def a hallucination, but always mild -- and damned if they aren't good songs! The Dixieland jazz thing last night was more like a really dissonant fusion jazz on Dixieland instruments, and if I could write sheet music, it would have been a hell of a song! 

Tonight: nothing but the fan. I have sort of come to enjoy these nocturnal melodies. 

I have EXACTLY the same thing. I hear music from the fan at night - it can be heavy metal, gospel..... I've had the sound of a soccer match being played and also what sounds like talking on radios - I can't make out the words but can hear the voices pretty clearly. And yes, it isn't every night with me either. I kind of miss it when it's not there... The Seroquel does seem to have knocked it out for the time being.

This happens to me as well.  I hear music in machinery that makes repetitive sounds (dishwasher, washing machine, fans, nearby construction equipment, that sort of thing).  Sometimes it sounds like a distant radio is playing somewhere.

My psychiatrist was interested in how I could hear things like music out of a fan. It's not evidently a common hallucination to hear something that is not related to the source it is coming from (IE hearing music out of a fan and not out of speakers). This is called a "reflected hallucination". I have googled the term, but I have found nothing on it. That is what they called it at my appointment, though.

I have an advanced degree in audio. It's actually possible that the fan is making a melody -- however slight. But why do we interpret it differently night after night? The fan isn't changing. It's at the same timbre and pitch it always is. Could be a cool research topic.

God, I *always* hear voices and music coming out of my fan. Very faint. I always assumed it was my brain trying to find patterns.

That is what I thought. It's certainly different from my regular hallucinations, in any case.

I have an advanced degree in audio. It's actually possible that the fan is making a melody -- however slight. But why do we interpret it differently night after night? The fan isn't changing. It's at the same timbre and pitch it always is. Could be a cool research topic.

Oh, I get genuine music out of it. I'm not always  familiar with the music, though, which is, um, a little bit maddening.

• Like 1