CrazyBoards.org

Constantly wanting to spend money on ridiculous things I already have?

My family have thankfully been really supportive. They've stopped me from buying everything under the sun (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) but the urges are definitely there and extremely strong when they occur. I do buy things here and there but I'm not in debt so it's ok. I can't stop myself. If someone has something I like I have to have it.. I have 4 cameras and I want to spend £500 on another one. I don't have a pin to my credit card but I can still press buttons on Amazon and all will be delivered to my door. The thing is though, I am not sure if this is a sign of mania or a really bad habit that I have because I cannot seem to recognise any other symptom apart from the urges to buy stupid things. I had a psychotic episode just over 5 years ago (my only psychotic episode till date) and hence the schizoaffective diagnosis but I sometimes question whether I am actually bipolar.  But then again, I question if I have a mental illness at all. I really need the right treatment which I strongly feel i am not getting. Got an appointment for sept to see a pdoc.

Here are some other symptoms of mania, and hypomania:

• pressured speech-feeling as if you can't talk fast enough to keep up with your ides
  • racing thoughts-feeling as if your idea are going by so fast you can't focus on just one, no matter how much you like it
  • sleep disturbances-reduced need for sleep, feeling great on very little sleep, can't get to sleep, can't stay asleep
  • grandiose thoughts-suddenly deciding you can do things or become something that you have no training for, previously had no interest in, or are literally impossible (honey, you ain't gonna be the Pope when you grow up).
  • poor judgment-ending a relationship, quitting a job, deciding to move
  • recklessness-unusual sexual behavior, spending too much money (whether you go into debt or not), drug or alcohol abuse

• Like 1

It is also possible to have spending problems during a mixed episode. Or even during a depressive episode, for that matter. But it could be just poor impulse control. You don't need to be bipolar to have that. I have all of the above, but it is definitely at its worst during a manic episode.

• Like 1

It is also possible to have spending problems during a mixed episode. Or even during a depressive episode, for that matter. But it could be just poor impulse control. You don't need to be bipolar to have that. I have all of the above, but it is definitely at its worst during a manic episode.

what flash said, my binge purchases occur primarily when I am manic.  But it never is an isolated symptom, lots of other symptoms going on.