CrazyBoards.org

So depressed :(

I was hospitalized in April/May for a manic episode that lasted 5 weeks. Before this, I was working part-time, doing some volunteering and had a social life for around 17 months. Now I am too depressed to do anything (what goes up must come down).

I'm reading how some of you can go back to work 2 weeks after a hospitalization. I don't know how you do it. I'm going to be depressed for weeks or months before I can do anything, if the past is an indicator (last time it was from late August to November before I got going again), although this was a relatively short manic episode (for me) so maybe that will shorten the depression too (what do you think?).

Is there something more I can do to put an end to the depression? A therapy that will help? A med change? (Doc has suggested trying Prozac, but he doesn't sound that convinced.) 

I feel like I have nothing now. I hardly want to move. I stay on my computer and post sad messages on Facebook and now, here. I dragged myself to 2 fitness classes in the past week, but it took superhuman effort just to get out of bed and I really don't know if I can sustain the habit. I went to the beach today and felt absolutely terrible because I'm so depressed. Life is so hard, I can't imagine how I'm going to get through these next few weeks or months, never mind getting back to my usual Seroquel 'normal' (dulled) which isn't all that wonderful. (Where's that wellness we keep hearing about?)

I could really use some support. :(

frog

I'm sorry you're struggling like this.  What other meds have you tried in the past? I was on Prozac briefly earlier this year and all it did was exacerbate the chronic insomnia I was battling with at the time. That's just a caveat - you might find that it does work for you.  I agree with Gearhead that Lamictal would be something worth exploring if your pdoc is open to it.  You're also on a relatively low dose of Seroquel (according to your signature), and there's definitely room to move up on that - again, if your pdoc is amenable.  Have you laid out to him/her exactly how bad you're feeling?

Edited by MiaB

I'm on Prozac and it definitely helps with the depression.  Has your DR suggested any other med changes other than the prozac? 

Sometimes I find though, the feelings just have to pass.  Nothing seems to help them.  I don't mean to sound negative, just for me that is the reality sometimes.  Do you see both a pdoc and therapist?  You were asking about a certain type of therapy to try, and I wasn't sure if you were in therapy and stuck, or if you weren't in therapy and wanted to know if there was anything you could try/bring up with your therapist to try.

Sorry that you are feeling so low.

Prozac works well for my depression (in combination with Seroquel XR, Lithium and Lamictal) You may respond to a higher dose of Seroquel? For depression I have taken 400mg. I currently take 800mg but that is more for keeping the mania at bay.

Have a good talk with your pdoc.

Hang in there, thinking of you and hope the depression will start to lift real soon

Yea, that sucks, I went through what you're going through earlier this spring. My hypomania was for 3-4 weeks, and my depression was 3 times longer than that, which is about normal for me. But same as you, I would have to force myself out of bed, going to the beach feeling like crap, exercising was torture, etc.

As others mentioned the Lamictal/Seroquel combo, I really wanted some Lamictal during this time, but my pdoc believes it's too weak, and put me on Trileptal/wellbutrin instead. Whatevers. But Lamictal does sound like a good mood stabilizer for lows.

And here's some practical suggestions for when in a depressed low that I use: 

Don't overdo the exercise in a depression, it can make the next day worse.

Avoid sitting in dark areas/rooms, try to be in well lit areas or in sunlight at all times.

Get sun or vitamin D supplements everyday. literally just sit in the sun.

Don't overeat, but undereat, small meals.

Don't sit on your laptop or TV for long periods (this brings tiredness and lowness)

Schedule appointments in the morning that will force you to get up out of bed

Take showers everyday, multiple times a day if possible

Engage in mentally stimulating projects, something that excites you that you can get obsessed about.

Undersleep (4 hours a night), don't oversleep, until mood is back to normal  - I heard from someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about, that this is a failproof way to quickly get out of a depression, and enter a normal/high mood. Beware of mania though.

With pdoc's permission, stop taking any tiring anti-psychotics such as Seroquel until depression is gone. 

Undersleep (4 hours a night), don't oversleep, until mood is back to normal  - I heard from someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about, that this is a failproof way to quickly get out of a depression, and enter a normal/high mood. Beware of mania though.

If I underslept for any reason my mood would be out of control, and it would worsen things.  No way would my mood be back to normal.  IMO this is NOT a fail-proof way to get out of a depression.  If it was, everyone would be doing it.

Hi all,

I tried Lamictal in the past, and it was good in some ways. I felt like I had better concentration, from day 1. I don't know if I felt HAPPIER, though. I could try it again and see, I suppose. At least it didn't give me insomnia, like Wellbutrin did.

I don't like to take more than 275 mg of Seroquel as it makes me feel really zombified at higher doses. I prefer to be less drugged than more. And I can't come off of it, because it's to keep me from getting manic.

I'm already in therapy, but it seems stalled. Last year we made a lot of progress with a trauma lens, but right now I'm just very depressed. Today she suggested I write down things I feel grateful for. I may try that.

I notice the depression gets heavier and lighter, though. It's really bad in the morning, when I sleep in and feel really sad. Then later in the day sometimes I feel better, especially if I've been talking with someone. Towards bedtime there are moments when I can almost forget I'm depressed. I get random hopefulness, or random desire to, say, read the paper. I randomly think I can do something, like go back to work eventually. I feel a bit better, then sometimes I am reminded of other people's success, and that drags me down. I have a lot of issues around comparing myself to others and being hard on myself. I'm trying to work on stopping those kinds of thinking patterns.

I'm just so unsure about the whole Prozac thing, and I hate being on Seroquel because it's made me fat (might end up trying metformin to help lose weight), but my doctor seems to think it's the best for me mood-wise. I've tried a lot of other mood stabilizers / antipsychotics in the past, and nothing was tolerable except Lamictal, but Lamictal only as an add-on to Seroquel (without Seroquel, I ended up in a mixed episode). The weight gain is making me feel bad but I don't know if there is a weight neutral option out there for me. So for now I'm just eating super healthy and doing a bit of exercise.

There's also the time factor here. I just may need to wait. I'm only on my second week of being back on Seroquel, after a disastrous attempt at being on Haldol, from the hospital. So this is Week 2 of depression but also Week 2 of Seroquel. It's really early times. I could wait on the Prozac decision. In the past, I've pulled out of depression with just Seroquel. I'm feeling a little more urgent about starting metformin (to lose weight), but also unsure that it will really help at all (for many it does nothing). I may mentioned Lamictal to my doc, though.

frog

Prozac was terrible for my manic depression (I say "manic depression" because, although I'm a manic depressive, I'm not bipolar - I'm SZA-BP) - it, and Zoloft too, made me rapid-cycle, and left me on that mad auld bicycle for about a year after I was taken off it. Horrible times.

Have you tried Abilify? It's reputed to be weight-neutral, and so far that's proven true for me - I've gone from almost 60kg to around 45kg on it, and that's while on pregabalin and lithium. More importantly, it's reputed to have mood-stabilising effects. The one thing is that it's very expensive. Seroquel never did anything for me - I was still very psychotic. Haldol sorted me out, but gave me terrible EPS. Abilify is working so far. I still hallucinate, but it doesn't bother me. 

Good luck on the way out of depression. :)

If I underslept for any reason my mood would be out of control, and it would worsen things.  No way would my mood be back to normal.  IMO this is NOT a fail-proof way to get out of a depression.  If it was, everyone would be doing it.

Yea I agree, if people are really susceptible to high mania because of lack of sleep, they shouldn't try it. I definitely wouldn't try it if my mania included psychosis/delusions. But the person who told me this is BPII and she says she forces herself to stay in a slightly hypomanic state at all times through this sleep trick, and taking her meds. She didn't have psychosis either, just hypomania and depression. 

I gave it a shot because I felt like shit, but couldn't make it down to 4 hours. I think I ended up cutting down to 8 hours a night, and just gave up. I was already sleeping 12 hours a night, so I was screwed. 

I was hospitalized in April/May for a manic episode that lasted 5 weeks. Before this, I was working part-time, doing some volunteering and had a social life for around 17 months. Now I am too depressed to do anything (what goes up must come down).

I'm reading how some of you can go back to work 2 weeks after a hospitalization. I don't know how you do it. I'm going to be depressed for weeks or months before I can do anything, if the past is an indicator (last time it was from late August to November before I got going again), although this was a relatively short manic episode (for me) so maybe that will shorten the depression too (what do you think?).

Is there something more I can do to put an end to the depression? A therapy that will help? A med change? (Doc has suggested trying Prozac, but he doesn't sound that convinced.) 

I feel like I have nothing now. I hardly want to move. I stay on my computer and post sad messages on Facebook and now, here. I dragged myself to 2 fitness classes in the past week, but it took superhuman effort just to get out of bed and I really don't know if I can sustain the habit. I went to the beach today and felt absolutely terrible because I'm so depressed. Life is so hard, I can't imagine how I'm going to get through these next few weeks or months, never mind getting back to my usual Seroquel 'normal' (dulled) which isn't all that wonderful. (Where's that wellness we keep hearing about?)

I could really use some support. :(

frog

Sorry you're going through this. You *will* get through this :) I felt pretty much the same after being an IP back in March. I was much like you in that all I could do was play on my computer or watch Netflix. Even going out to see my garden was too much of a chore.

But, as time went by and with the support of friends, family, my doctors, I started to get some of my executive function back, started to feel less anxious, and generally felt better. And on the upside, I wouldn't have started on lithium and lamotrigine if it weren't for this last hospitalization.

Getting out to exercise is a great idea and I applaud you for trying, but please don't beat yourself up if you can't. Just like a broken bone, our minds take time to mend, and you really can't move it along any quicker than it's gonna take. One step at a time, set realistic and attainable goals :)

I also take a fairly low dose of Prozac (20mg). It didn't seem to do much for my depression by itself, but the cocktail of lithium + Latuda + Prozac + lamotrigine now seems to be lifting me up a bit and letting me function properly.

Good luck.