CrazyBoards.org

Bizarre Crying Undiagnosed

Hey folks.

I had a strange event 2 years ago and I'm still trying to get out of the hole that I'm in.  I had a sudden increase in depression, crying, and paranoia.  Started having crying spells, usually about the topic of "healthy parent-child relations."  By that I mean if I saw, or thought about, or saw a story on TV about a "touching" family event, I'd totally start bawling.  I did not have that problem before that, to that extent.  Human interest stories are particularly bad for me.  I can also just sit and think about various things(parent-kid stuff) and I will cry.  The worst is probably being in an environment where I can't "escape" and hearing a song that is a trigger. I will lose it every time.

I've increased my lithium dose, which seemed to lower the crying.  Added a little Brintellix which seemed to help only a tad. We(me and 2 professionals) are trying to figure out if this is just a biological thing or if this is a core "issue".  Either way, the crying seems very exaggerated.  Even if I'm facing a problem I need to deal with(like changing a tire) I nearly get into tears.  Bummer as I can't work, there is always music in every workplace that's pervasive.

Is the crying purely biological or a legacy family issue?

I used to have a lot of problems with bursting into tears for big reasons, or for very small reasons, or for no reason...s. It always happens during a relapse, so I assumed it went with the mood disorder side of things.

Also, out of concern and a bit of confusion, what are you doing increasing doses and adding meds? Is your doctor involved with this decision?? Who are these "professionals"?

It was with the doctor's (M.D. Psychiatry) suggestion that I changed dosages.  Thanks for your concern...I've always been granted the liberty of changing dosages anyway.  The doctors quickly find out that it's okay, especially when I seem to find solutions to problems they cannot fix.

It sounds to me like you are stressed out and depressed in some way ... internally and externally.  If something happens that comes up unexpected (externally), if I am stressed (and depressed), I will cry.  Like I can't deal with this type-thing.  Internally, I cry about things that have happened in the past, mainly the delusions I used to have that I wished so hard were true.

that exact "topic" is my biggest trigger for immediate, irrational, intense crying.  i never did this until a few years ago.  i have mega issues in that area, but my family and i are very close now.  it makes no sense to me that this started when it did.  it gets better or worse depending on how depressed i am in general.  and yes, music is the WORST for this - i can't control it if i hear a song like that.  i also have to be very careful what i watch on television, it's almost as bad.

it's weird because it's a different kind of crying than i might do over something else.  it's like someone just died.  i can't explain it.  my therapist couldn't either.  just said maybe it's leftover grief from when things with my parents, or my daughter, were bad.  but why then did it start when i was 43, and not before?

sorry you go through this too.  i wish i had a solution for you.  being on wellbutrin seems to curb a lot of it for me, but it still happens and it's embarrassing.

Thanks for sharing lysergia.  Strangely, this crying I have doesn't feel like grief at all.  Some docs are trying to tell me it's from unresolved grief.  All I know is that I was used to seeing some LSD discoloration of stoplights(after many years), then that went away and I got all anxious and depressed and started having crying issues.  I would really like to resolve this so I can work.

Medication does alter the symptoms.  When I increased my Lithium things got better...until about 750 mg.