CrazyBoards.org

how long can you feel great on Effexor

Im talking with someone in the mental health room on AOL, and they said that feeling really good for a while then needing a higher dose to feel good again is pretty common with Effexor.  How long can a person feel great on Effexor, before needing another increase?  Is it possible to get "hooked" on Effexor cause you keep needing a higher dose to feel great again?

I'm sure I am not *typical* -- please take what I say with a grain of salt. Wasn't sure, but decided to share this anyway. Just one person's experience.

I was on Effexor for about 15 years; was in one of the 1st studies of it. During the study, I needed to get up to 450 mg. in order to get an antidepressant effect (I'm a small woman, so not a drug-to-weight ratio issue). I stayed at 450 mg/day for most of the time I was on it. It worked okay for a few years, then pooped out -- but because I was already at such a high dose, we couldn't raise it. We finally lowered it, because it made no difference what amount I took; just wasn't working. Kept on it, just to have something in my system, and because none of the docs had any clues what else to do.

Please keep in mind that in order to get into the drug study I had to be diagnosed with severe refractory, atypical depression. I was correctly diagnosed earlier this year as BPII. I am now on Lamictal, and it's working.

So, again, I fall outside the norm, and even my atypical depression was really BPII. I guess I should say "never mind!" Hard to imagine how my story will help. ;)

I was on 75mg for 3 months, then was upped to 150mg and have been on that 10 months. I'm on Remeron too. because the efexor just gave out really...psych wants to reduce my dose.....and get me off it...did nothing for the anxiety, and I got suicidal feelings when it was increased., the whole weekend....

just my story.

I have been treated for  Treatment Resistant MDD for almost 30 years, with the past 10 yrs being very med compliant:)!!!

That being said........ I have been on Effexor xr for about 6 years now and I started at 300 mg (after the initial titration), and remained at that dose for about 1 1/2 yrs.  After that I needed to increase the effexor to continue the AD effect.  I made a made 75 mg jumps with a 150 mg jump over a year ago. 

Effexor has been a wonder drug for me!!  I currently take 600 mg. and have for the past 1 1/2 yrs+.  I really hope it works for you too!!!

Current meds:

Effexor XR 600 mgs

Provigil 200 mgs

clozaril 200 mgs

remeron 15 mgs

Archived