CrazyBoards.org

Hello.

I think I need help right now, but am not sure if I would be just getting in the way.

I'm not a threat to myself or others.

I'm experiencing some auditory hallucinations throughout the day.

I have certain "friends" around that watch over me and make me feel good, although they are fading and in and out, but I need them and they are going.This is concerning to me. I've been told this is a delusion. I just think the "friends" are a way to form your own personality. They are comforting.

I also have something like poverty of thought. I'm so wrapped up in my own mind that I'm not paying attention, not carrying on conversations, and not having pleasant thoughts.

I'm really anxious. I had to leave an appointment half way through today because of anxiety.

This is what is causing me distress, please what do you think, would you go be seen as a walk-in? This has been going on for almost two weeks now. Don't feel that good. Thanks for reading, and please take care!

You will need to be open-minded to the possibility that your "friends" fading in and out are generated by your own mind in the form of auditory hallucinations.  You can make real friends in real life though, so don't feel bad or sad or lonely.  You'll make new friends that won't fade away.  As for being wrapped up in your own mind so much that you are missing out, this is also something to talk to your doctors and therapists about. 

You will need to be open-minded to the possibility that your "friends" fading in and out are generated by your own mind in the form of auditory hallucinations.  You can make real friends in real life though, so don't feel bad or sad or lonely.  You'll make new friends that won't fade away.  As for being wrapped up in your own mind so much that you are missing out, this is also something to talk to your doctors and therapists about. 

Thanks for the reply, it has helped me feel good (thanks). So if I hush the voices for good I won't have the "friends" anymore? I'm stuck because I think the friends give me all sorts of energy and motivation. Only sometimes do they cause anxiety.

Take care

The "friends" aren't real IRL, right?  This happened to me when I was in a non-reality situation (I was psychotic, and they were hallucinations).  The scariest part was giving the voices up and getting myself into real life.  It was like I had given up a whole other life with friends.  My entire life had been wrapped up in delusions and hallucinations, and it was very hard to switch back to real life.  But I did it, and it is possible. 

I completely understand your feelings. Sometimes I think I developed such strong delusions to cure my constant feeling of loneliness. Giving them up means I have to go back to feeling that way...and I don't want to. As for going in, I might consider it. Going in always stabilized me and I felt so much better. 

• Like 1

The "friends" aren't real IRL, right?  This happened to me when I was in a non-reality situation (I was psychotic, and they were hallucinations).  The scariest part was giving the voices up and getting myself into real life.  It was like I had given up a whole other life with friends.  My entire life had been wrapped up in delusions and hallucinations, and it was very hard to switch back to real life.  But I did it, and it is possible. 

Thanks for your post. Yes the "friends" are just a figment (I believe). Would you communicate with your voices out loud sometimes? I tend to do that when I'm anxious or alone, but most of the time I just mouth what I want to say, if not than just think it, if there's people around.

Also: Do you differentiate between the voices and the "friends"/people of delusion? Or are they the same?

Take care.

Are you getting any help for mental health services?

Yes, I saw my case manager at the cafe and she said for me to sit next to her, and I told her how I was feeling a bit. I'm going to see her at the office on Monday.

Thanks for replying, take care.

Thanks for your post. Yes the "friends" are just a figment (I believe). Would you communicate with your voices out loud sometimes? I tend to do that when I'm anxious or alone, but most of the time I just mouth what I want to say, if not than just think it, if there's people around.

Also: Do you differentiate between the voices and the "friends"/people of delusion? Or are they the same?

Take care.

In the beginning, when I first started hearing them, yes, I did talk out loud to them.  Then I started to think to other people, like you did.  I never mouthed words, just started thinking to people.

The "friends"/people of delusion and voices were the same for me. ie, the voices I heard were of people I knew IRL, and as I know them IRL.

Edited by melissaw72
  • Like 1

I can definitely relate to where you are by where I was a few years ago. Sometimes times get rough and I am in a similar boat but its more and more rare these days.

I definitely miss my 'friends' sometimes. They made me feel safe, and we'd have to battle some nasty things together telepathically. They never did me or anyone any harm. They were all dead scientists/inventors. So I guess they were 'ghost buddies'. In the back of my mind I always knew they were a way for me to cope with circumstances and feelings I was having that for whatever reason my mind couldn't handle otherwise. Do you ever feel like that?

My advice is keep with your mental health practitioners. Reduce your stress if possible. Find a social outlet if possible (the chatroom is a decent launch pad but face to face interaction with people is way more valueable for where you are now). Case manager is one thing, if you can afford it, therapists and pdocs can do a world of good.

Wishing you the best. Stick it through, keep your wits about you, and you will make it through the other side back to something quasi-normal.

Sometimes I think I developed such strong delusions to cure my constant feeling of loneliness.

I'm glad you mentioned this actually. Sometimes I need little 'cues' to help me rationalize and remind me that the 'voices' and subsequent delusions of telepathy aren't real. One of the reasons I think I developed psychosis was as a coping mechanism; my brain's way of combatting my intense feeling of loneliness as a result of a long spell of social isolation I was experiencing which probably would have otherwise left me feeling a lot more depressed than I already was due to the fact I had no friends. So I started hearing voices, then believing I was 'special' as a result which led to delusions of grandeur. It took quite a while to deconstruct this incredibly vast and complex web of lies I had subconsciously woven for myself because at first I felt a renewed sense of mania and superiority; I wanted to believe it was true for the longest while, so when I became more aware of my obvious mental illness and instability and that I had been delusional for so long I took quite an emotional pounding. However once I realised the delusions were in fact delusions, I had more of an incentive to deconstruct it and rationalize with myself, thus coming back to reality, and that's when the voices became more negative and constantly trying to reinforce my previous delusional state of mind.

A quote I remember said: "you can't control your thoughts, but you can control how much your thoughts control you."

A quote I remember said: "you can't control your thoughts, but you can control how much your thoughts control you."

With me, I can not control how much my thoughts control me without, medication.  The thoughts insert themselves into my mind, wherever they feel like it.  I can't control when or where they will come.

With me, I can not control how much my thoughts control me without, medication.  The thoughts insert themselves into my mind, wherever they feel like it.  I can't control when or where they will come.

IIfeel as if sometimes II can control my thoughts and not let them control me, but other times when I am particularly ill I have no control at all.