CrazyBoards.org

Longtime lurker, now ready to join your community.

Hello,

Just stopping by to introduce myself. A couple of years ago I ended up seeking mental health services after being informed that my "quirks/tendencies" were not normal as I had believed. I have a long history of sleeping problems, as well as OCD (since ~ 3 years old) and ADHD. I tested well in school so pursuing treatment wasn't as pertinent as it was when I got older, my sleeping problems changed forms throughout the years, and I knew my OCD problems weren't normal but became the norm for me. My treatment goals change every time I "confess" to something else. First the ADHD, then the OCD (at the urging of a professor), and now addressing the insomnia after a bizarre neurological episode that has yet to be investigated. Working on that, but it's a slow process.

I'm majoring in Biology and minoring in Chemistry at a university I love. My ambitions lie in a direction which marries science and psychology/psychiatry. I want to be an advocate for the mentally ill population in a psychiatric care facility as a clinical pharmacist. Unfortunately, my own issues have served as nothing more than disastrous detriments when it comes to fulfilling my dreams. I want to get better through support and supporting others, which is what drew me here.

Hoping to be a positive/constructive contribution!

- Persona Is Life

Hi PiL

You sound like an interesting person and a welcome addition to any group. 

I have a long history of sleeping problems, as well as OCD (since ~ 3 years old) and ADHD. I tested well in school so pursuing treatment wasn't as pertinent as it was when I got older, my sleeping problems changed forms throughout the years, and I knew my OCD problems weren't normal but became the norm for me. My treatment goals change every time I "confess" to something else. First the ADHD, then the OCD (at the urging of a professor), and now addressing the insomnia after a bizarre neurological episode that has yet to be investigated. Working on that, but it's a slow process.

Today I went to a group that watched some TED talks about sleep. They talked about the fact that we are just beginning to understand why we need to sleep and how sleep is vital to the health of our body and mind. It really was fascinating and a cautionary tale for those of us who have trouble sleeping. The last talk was one in which the composer was talking about creating a virtual choir across the world and his composition was entitled "sleep." The group leader was stretching to include that talk but it was amazing and inspiring (standing ovation).

I'm majoring in Biology and minoring in Chemistry at a university I love. My ambitions lie in a direction which marries science and psychology/psychiatry. I want to be an advocate for the mentally ill population in a psychiatric care facility as a clinical pharmacist.

Did you ever consider the field of clinical neuroscience?

- Best wishes from a fellow newbie 

• 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 3:58 PM, Icarus said:

Hi PiL

You sound like an interesting person and a welcome addition to any group. 

Today I went to a group that watched some TED talks about sleep. They talked about the fact that we are just beginning to understand why we need to sleep and how sleep is vital to the health of our body and mind. It really was fascinating and a cautionary tale for those of us who have trouble sleeping. The last talk was one in which the composer was talking about creating a virtual choir across the world and his composition was entitled "sleep." The group leader was stretching to include that talk but it was amazing and inspiring (standing ovation).

Did you ever consider the field of clinical neuroscience?

- Best wishes from a fellow newbie 

I'll definitely have to check them out. :) I have not looked into the field of clinical neuroscience myself, but my best friend has. Her ambitions lie as a part time neurosurgeon a part-time psychiatrist.

Best wishes as well.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 4:46 PM, Wooster said:

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Let us know if you need help or have questions.

Thank you. :)

I was looking at phd programs in cog-sci when my brain broke so I have similar interests.  There's a lot of brain geek books in the crazystore that I recommend or have had recommended to me.  Let me know if you read anything from there and find it interesting.  

We have a dedicated forum for discussing brain geekage but it's not particularly active.  If you want to try starting a discussion in there, I'll do my best to pitch in. 

Glad you found us.

• Like 1

I see you haven't been here since July...so welcome back to CB, PI :P You have quite the co-morbid combination and will fit in here with ease! Don't be afraid to post in topics that you can relate to, or post any questions you have about your illnesses or treatments.

And FWIW your interest in Neuroscience is refreshing. I'm trying to get my BSc degree in Psychology (minoring in physics), so the mention of "marrying" neurology and psychology from anyone is exciting. We put so much money and interest as people in Astronomy. But yet as we make discoveries of space...we still have the drab medical concept that brain and mind are completely separate. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sloane said:

I see you haven't been here since July...so welcome back to CB, PI :P You have quite the co-morbid combination and will fit in here with ease! Don't be afraid to post in topics that you can relate to, or post any questions you have about your illnesses or treatments.

Thank you. I signed up then didn't really find anything to contribute at the time.

23 hours ago, Sloane said:

And FWIW your interest in Neuroscience is refreshing. I'm trying to get my BSc degree in Psychology (minoring in physics), so the mention of "marrying" neurology and psychology from anyone is exciting. We put so much money and interest as people in Astronomy. But yet as we make discoveries of space...we still have the drab medical concept that brain and mind are completely separate. It's ridiculous.

That's a really interesting combination. Have you looked into neurophysics or started studying optics? The brain is so complex, and fascinating, I can't help but be drawn in. I can get lost in existential thoughts and trying to find connections among science, the world, philosophy, psychology, neurology, spirituality, etc...

I always found it weird that medicine forgets that the mind and the brain are a unit. It's all about processing stimuli and interpreting it in a meaningful way. Every part of our life goes into doing just that. Our nervous system is the best representation of those chemical processes. I can understand why medicine wants to target the physical symptoms of a disease first. It's easier, more concrete. However, with it being only half of the puzzle, its psychological impact cannot be neglected.

Looking forward to some awesome discussion! :)

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:29 AM, Velvet Elvis said:

I was looking at phd programs in cog-sci when my brain broke so I have similar interests.  There's a lot of brain geek books in the crazystore that I recommend or have had recommended to me.  Let me know if you read anything from there and find it interesting.  

We have a dedicated forum for discussing brain geekage but it's not particularly active.  If you want to try starting a discussion in there, I'll do my best to pitch in. 

Glad you found us.

I somehow missed your post. :( Sorry about that. I'm geeky about many things, but the brain itself is wonderfully intricate and fascinating. I'm hoping that one day science can construct a map of neural circuitry, where each path takes, and maybe find connective patterns in people with the same mental disease. We've mapped out the human genome, I don't see mapping out neural pathways to be an impossibility.

I'm sorry to hear your brain broke when on the road to achieving so much. :( It's unfortunate that mental illness tends to strike in late adolescent/earlier adult years because that's when we're finally figuring out our directions in life. We're learning how to be independent, and young enough to make major changes in life. I oftentimes wonder about the impacts of timing when these illnesses strike. What did you end up doing?

One of my best friends had schizoaffective surface towards the end of high school and progressing in severity in college. She fought really hard to keep on top of her work, and now her goal is to have her life come as close to what it was pre-SZA as possible. She's had Bipolar since she was young, and she was used to dealing with it. Once the voices creeped their way into her everyday life it really turned things upside down.

I've been OCD/ADHD since early, early childhood. I've lived with the same illnesses my entire life, so I don't know what it's like to not have them. I don't have a "time to go back to." I don't even have a clear idea as to what I'd be working towards. It makes treatment difficult. Doesn't help that I'm terrified to stop my cycle of obsessing/compulsing because it's the way I've always done things.

TL;DR Mental illness sucks no matter what the circumstance and I'm sorry to hear it threw a wrench in your academic pursuits.   

Greetings~

It's nice/notnice to meet a fellow OCD kid. I remember staying up to the early hours checking taps and doors. Having multiple overlapping conditions with varying treatment options that can't all be pursued simultaneously is frustrating, especially since in these kinds of situations they all tend to feed each other/make each other worse. Working on your sleep doesn't sound like a bad first step, but don't feel like you need to work on only one thing and pretend the rest aren't affecting you. It's a complex knot, but sometimes you'll find an end or a loophole you can slip through to make things a little easier. G'luck. :)

• Like 1