CrazyBoards.org

All my previous hospitalizations have been in a private hospital. Ever since the hurricanes of 2004 that hospital has been closed as it was badly damaged. The only other hospital in the county I live in is a public hospital. For people who have been in both types, what's your take on them? Is there really any difference in the quality of care?

All my previous hospitalizations have been in a private hospital. Ever since the hurricanes of 2004 that hospital has been closed as it was badly damaged. The only other hospital in the county I live in is a public hospital. For people who have been in both types, what's your take on them? Is there really any difference in the quality of care?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can only go on my own country, but I suspect it would be more or less similar.

The amount of money pumped into public mental health care, in particular, is miserably inadequate, when compared to your general hospital.  So that means the care is also inadequate.  The number of beds is generally the main indicator of how badly the public psychiatric hospitals are coping.  The Australian system is in a state of crisis.  People, who are very much psychotic, or manic, are discharged onto the street to make way for someone who might appear to be presenting with worse symptoms.  The number of suicides that occur as a result of this is just shameful.

On other other hand the private system is intrinsically evil with corporations intent on making as much money out of people who are sick.  Mad people make those on the right side of town very rich.  Anyhow, back to quality of care.  I've been in a few private hospitals and I've found the care to be generally quite good.  You do just get better care, at the moment, in a private hospital.  Plus the carpet and the food is often better. ;)

The world is strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived