CrazyBoards.org

Songs to SI to

g8orgirl

Broken by Seether... Last Resort by Papa Roach... Going Under by Evanescence (really good song)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm with ya with those three. 

i've never really thought about a lot of the music i listen to as "songs to SI to."  I will not deny the fact that there are songs that I tend to listen to when i am depressed, lonely, angry, etc..... and sometimes i will end up SIing, yes, but the music at that point becomes secondary, if not almost nonexistant in my mind at that moment...

i guess my point is that when i get to the point when I feel the need to SI, the music is far from important... lots of times it is just silence broken up from time to time by my sobbing...

I am not saying that music as a whole does not matter.  To tell you the truth, I *live* for music, honestly. 

I guess my point is that, at least for me, if you are going to SI you are going to do it with or without "mood music" or whatever you wish to call it...

What I would like to be able to see happen and be able to do is to find ways for certain music (yes, even including the depressing hard rock) to almost act as alternatives to SIing.... in other words, attempt to get my "release" by simply listening to the song and not hurting myself.  To me, at least, that would be a much more valuable use of music, something I value so dearly....

I have consciously tried to remove music from the scene when I SI. Because I did play certain cd's to begin with (mainly new agey relaxation stuff actually), and that music soon became a trigger, simply from the SI association. I don't want my music to remind me.

It's interesting hearing other people tend to listen to certain types of music during SI episodes. I agree with the above poster who said they don't want certain songs to remind them of SI, I have some songs I absouletly can't listen to because they do remind me of past episodes of self-injury.

I didn't have a copy of it but the first time I cut through my head was running Sarah McLachlan's 'Angel.'

There is some significance to that but it's a long story...not because the lyrics are all about flying away and all that.  Memories of it playing at a certain key moment that came flooding back that triggered the cutting etc... blah, blah, blah...ironic that it is about escaping pain though.

Karen

there's that (newish) garbage song, bleed like me. I don't SI to songs; I'm not a music person and am usually too lost to consider music, but this one gets me stuck for awhile. Seems like lots of cutting has come up recently. There's also that Amy Ray song where she mentions it "You cut yourself like a high school kid; I did it once, everybody did" and, of course, old favourites like goo goo dolls (iris, I think..." Bleed just to know you're alive" and the I.G. song (blood and fire).

*shrug* but, i suppose, the only thing i could think i might si to would be techno, because everything's better to techno. besides, reminds me of drugs and blood and dancing until you can't stand and aids and tears and life and death and new love and old love and being young. always makes me want to dance till i cry. which, i've long learned, is little different from si.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this topic and decided to go rummaging through my music collection.  It's mostly heavy metal (though hardly any emo), so that should help. 

Earshot: Fall Apart ("Covered in ink to hide these scars...")

Flaw: Medicate ("I've got to medicate myself / I'm not concerned about my health") Okay, so that's more about self-medication...

Megaherz: Kopfschu

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't cut for a long time. In fact, I only did it on paxil, which I think is why it happened at all.

Anyway, Not that I'd ever listened to this song when I did do it, but 'The Dresden Dolls - Bad Habit" is a good song about cutting, and seems to be on the mark in some cases.

Hi everyone, new to this part of the forums.

There's one Natalie Imbruglia song I used to put on repeat every night to cut to.  Which is odd cos I hate all her other songs.

I also used to listen to a lot of Placebo songs, I'd put their entire CD on. And I agree with delicate about pink floyd.

I sort of agree with the person who said "Bleed Like Me"... it's too new for me to have cut to it but I find it kinda triggering.

• 4 weeks later...

some of you guys have listed some really heavy, though really good, songs.  other than what some people said about certain obvious lyrics in songs pertaining to cutting/hurting/hating oneself, what else about some of this music moves you?  is there a pattern to the type of music that might "trigger" you?   

on that note, is there any music (and it doesn't necessarily have to be cheesy party music, although it can be) that helps you to not think about self-injuring?

I always think of Lisa Loeb's song "She's Falling Apart" because it reminds me of me when I was living at home.

"She's Falling Apart"

They pull up their chairs to the table

She stares at the food on her plate

At the toast and the butter

Her father, her mother, she pushes away

And they rise in the morning

And they sleep in the dark

And even though nobody's looking

She's falling apart

She gets home from school too early

And closes the door to her room

There's nothing inside her