CrazyBoards.org

I was recently prescribed Wellbutrin to go along with Lamotrigine (300 mg). I take Xanax, as needed. I was desperate. The depression, well, many of you know what that's like and how much can begin to fall apart/pile up around you. 

Just wondering - Anyone with BP have stories of experience on these two medications alone? Mainly curious. I'm trying it out either way. Years ago, I was on quite a cocktail of meds, but I try my hardest to limit them now...until I can't. It has been taking me a good three hours to be able to lift my body out of bed each morning, among other depression issues. Something had to change. 

I am schizoaffective, but I was considered bipolar 1 for many years.

I am currently on lamictal, one of the first drugs I was put on along with bupropion/wellbutrin. I was taken off the bupropion after 11 years because it was exacerbating psychosis. My psychiatrist said avoiding antidepressants in bipolar treatment its becoming more and more the norm. Instead of antidepressants, she uses the lamictal and quetiapine. Both have an strong effect on depression without triggering psychosis. Quetiapine is also used for treating my psychosis and my anxiety. I was told they are going to re-classify quetiapine, actually, because it has so many useful applications besides being an anti-psychotic.

Also, I used to be on a very large cocktail of meds but the team treating me believes the less complicated the better, and I have to agree because I've been much better off on 3 drugs than I was on 5 or 6. 

Edited by saintalto
  • Like 1

I am schizoaffective, but I was considered bipolar 1 for many years.

I am currently on lamictal, one of the first drugs I was put on along with bupropion/wellbutrin. I was taken off the bupropion after 11 years because it was exacerbating psychosis. My psychiatrist said avoiding antidepressants in bipolar treatment its becoming more and more the norm. Instead of antidepressants, she uses the lamictal and quetiapine. Both have an strong effect on depression without triggering psychosis. Quetiapine is also used for treating my psychosis and my anxiety. I was told they are going to re-classify quetiapine, actually, because it has so many useful applications besides being an anti-psychotic.

Also, I used to be on a very large cocktail of meds but the team treating me believes the less complicated the better, and I have to agree because I've been much better off on 3 drugs than I was on 5 or 6. 

Thank you for the response. I didn't think of including those with schizoaffective disorder - anyone is really welcome to respond :) Of course, there are similarities, as you know... especially if you experience bipolar symptoms. I imagine a lot of the treatments are the same. My doctor has avoided using antidepressants (well, we've tried, but a lot of them make me feel terribly anxious and agitated), but she seems to be confident that we can monitor this carefully. So far, it's good. Usually I'd notice the side-effects the first day, but nothing today. I look forward to seeing how this works out. I'm glad you're able to manage with fewer drugs now. I see so many on gigantic cocktails and how do you even know what's doing what after awhile? I found it difficult to know. Thanks again. 

I was successfully on 300 mg of Wellbutrin plus 200 mg of Lamictal for over five years, and it kept me out of any depressive episodes during that time, and I felt great. I'm now in another depressive episode and adding some meds, but the Wellbutrin / Lamictal combo was great, and I look forward to getting better again and getting back to it, without the complicated combo I'm on now. Good luck to you, hope it works well.

• Like 1

I was successfully on 300 mg of Wellbutrin plus 200 mg of Lamictal for over five years, and it kept me out of any depressive episodes during that time, and I felt great. I'm now in another depressive episode and adding some meds, but the Wellbutrin / Lamictal combo was great, and I look forward to getting better again and getting back to it, without the complicated combo I'm on now. Good luck to you, hope it works well.

Thanks for the info and your experience. I hope you get back to where you'd prefer. I find myself jittery, but I'm only on week one. Will double the Wellbutrin dose tomorrow. Thank goodness I have Alprazolam to take as needed, or I'd probably, well, it wouldn't be pretty. I haven't been able to tolerate other antidepressants, so I'm giving this my best shot. 

I was on lamotrigine for about a year but was really tired and unmotivated, so pdoc added bupropion. It was the perfect combo for about four months, and I felt like "myself" for the first time in 2 years, but I crashed badly recently. Dr added abilify and seroquel. Still waiting for the effects to kick in. (crossing fingers)

• Like 1

I've been on lamictal for more than ten years for bp II. This past winter found me with severe depression. My doc tried me on cymbalta, which sedated me and caused a weight gain of 30+ lbs. I've been on 150 mg of wellbutrin for a month now and am feeling better, a little jittery, but less depressed and more engaged. 

I was on wellbutrin many years ago with great success but had to stop taking it because it raised my blood pressure, which lead to meds for that. I'm hoping that a better lifestyle will prevent that this time or that I can stop taking it once the depression is under control.