CrazyBoards.org

For the last 2 or 3 months, my heart rate has been through the roof. It's always over 100, even at rest. My GP chalked it up to caffeine, but I don't believe that. But now, I'm noticing that my blood pressure is raising too. I just seen my Pain Management doctor a couple hours ago, and on the print out sheet he gave me was information about tobacco cessation(I smoke) and hypertension. At my GP appointment a week ago, my blood pressure was 126/80. Today it was 121/81. What the hell is going on here??? Could this be a medication side effect or is there something really wrong with me?

Anywhere under 120/80 is normal for adults.

American Heart Association and UK guidelines say readings over 140/90 that stay consistently elevated over time are cause for concern.

You aren't substantially over the suggested range.

My blood pressure is usually higher than my resting rate because I usually walk to my appointment and I get anxious around health care providers.

PS-I'm sure you already know this, but quitting smoking can substantially improve your cardiac and respiratory health.

Edited by Wooster

my blood pressure was around the same as yours the last time it was taken and the doctor never mentioned it being a concern. my heart rate is also really high but it's always been very high so i guess that normal for me.

i have extreme anxiety at doctors offices so that could also be a factor and they probably consider that. 

Increased blood pressure can also be a side effect of Wellbutrin. But honestly, my doctor would love to have my BP around 120/80. Of course we are all different, but if my blood pressure were 100/60 I'd be feeling very bad.