CrazyBoards.org

I'm really fucking scared

So I went on this automated chat bot, which is basically this computer person that talks to you (they are automated) and its obvious. The chat bot asked me for my name, and I typed 'Nathan' . This website is also independent to other sites, so it wasn't linked to any of my emails. So I was typing , just having a laugh with the really stupid answers I was getting back. Then she said 'At St Jimmy in Leeds ' and that's what she said, out of the blue when i stated something, (Plus I did not wrote stjimmy anywhere on there....I swear, I am not lying! ).

look at my username..that is even in my email and its not something common a programmer would implement on a chat box as a response.

I freaked out and still I am. Is anyone tracking me? I used this website before and it didn't appear dodgy

http://www.mitsuku.com/

I'm just really uneasy, because I do occasionally surf on the deep web (not for anything illegal, don't worry) and I'm panicking that someone is messing with me and they are tracking what I'm doing on the surface web. I broken my webcam, that's how worried I am (at least this is my old laptop, my surface pro is being repaired). For the last hour all I can feel is this incessant fear about what happened.

(Well at least I don't live in Leeds)

What should I do?

This isn't surprising. If you put your name, your email, or any info on yourself out there online somewhere, someone probably bought that info from the people you provided it to. 

Unless you take specific actions to hide yourself online, the internet is always picking up information on you in various ways. Google for instance, if you are logged in, will track every single thing you use their search engine for (also anything on view on youtube or on other sites they own). They know your entire history. 

This is mostly meant as a means of personalising what advertisements you see. Companies pay for this kind of information. What you are searching, what you say in your emails, what you say on Facebook... anywhere, anything. The internet is about as far from private as you can get. 

I wish I could explain more, but alas, I do not know the particulars. I know one of the only companies out there right now that isn't selling off your data is Apple. Also Duck Duck Go is a good alternative to google, It doesn't track your search history.

There are TED talks about this and plenty of articles about the subject online. Personally, I gave up on it all, but I did a quick search for you and here's a Time article about protecting your privacy. Just do a bit of research on things like cookies and online privacy and you'll find your answers.

Well, what I don't understand is how can a project by university students which now that i did some research on the web, happens to be highly recognised would do that...but if it is malware indeed that i might have...then who ever it is knows exactly what I'm doing and hacked to that website, for them to know I was there would mean they are probably spying on me (sounds extreme, but its the only possible explanation that I can think of) .

The information coming from that website in a flash format to be altered has to be done through their server (because its flash)...so either the website is a prank who tries and find your personal information to scare you.....or as I said above..^ (btw...I have never given my e-mail with the 'st jimmy' on it, on anything untrusted, plus on the deep web I never used 'st jimmy' on any of the forums I'm on)

And I ran a virus check nothing .-.

Hi there,

I found this thread while searching for www.mitsuku.com

I wrote the chatbot and there is nothing sinister about it. There is a hospital in Leeds, UK called St James Hospital which is known to the locals as St Jimmy's. I coded Mitsuku to believe she was "born" there. It's pure coincidence that it's the same as your username.

Funnily enough, I recently had a lengthy email exchange with a guy who genuinely thought my program was the reincarnation of his dead father, as it liked kebabs, Leeds United and the colour blue. These were the same favourites as the deceased.

With so many people talking to the chatbot, coincidences like this are bound to happen.

Regards

- Steve Worswick (MItsuku's developer)

• Like 3

Hi there,

I found this thread while searching for www.mitsuku.com

I wrote the chatbot and there is nothing sinister about it. There is a hospital in Leeds, UK called St James Hospital which is known to the locals as St Jimmy's. I coded Mitsuku to believe she was "born" there. It's pure coincidence that it's the same as your username.

Funnily enough, I recently had a lengthy email exchange with a guy who genuinely thought my program was the reincarnation of his dead father, as it liked kebabs, Leeds United and the colour blue. These were the same favourites as the deceased.

With so many people talking to the chatbot, coincidences like this are bound to happen.

Regards

- Steve Worswick (MItsuku's developer)

This confirmation gave me such relief.

Thank you for taking your time to explain.

I really appreciate this!

Have a great day!

No problem. I could read that you were getting worried and so wanted to put your mind at rest.

This link mentions the hospital and its nickname:

http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/our-hospitals/st-james-university-hospital/

I admit, it is quite scary when coincidences like this happen and fully understand what you must have been feeling at the time.

• 1 month later...

software for the internet is able to determine location or approximate location according to IP addresses.  Every computer uses an IP address to connect to the internet, so every computer can be located somewhat.  The precision depends upon the internet service provider's settings, and that provides some shielding, but internet service providers have addresses too, so that can also be determined by the software.  these informations are sent and recieved "under the hood" without any attention to the end user.  There are some custom web browser tools that can prevent some of this, such as TOR (The Onion Router), and IP randomizers, referrer blockers, header editors, etc.  But they each have their downsides too. 

Overally, I think you have a right to be concerned.  Unfortunately, this is the state of affairs on the internet.