CrazyBoards.org

VERY rapid weight loss when switching off clozaril?

So, not that I'm complaining - I'm pretty overweight at ~230lbs, but I just found this bonkers and wondering if it's because of the med switch. I was on clozaril for 6 months. I stayed about the same weight despite attempts to lose weight. 8 days ago, I stopped clozaril and started Latuda. Now, I did develop a tooth infection and have been on antibiotics for it, so I've been eating a little less, but still tons of yogurt, ice cream, protein shakes, etc. About the same amount of calories I was eating prior. But in the past 6 days that I've been weighing myself, I've lost 11lbs. That's right - 11lbs in 6 days. I don't even know how that's possible. Could this be from changing off the clozaril, which is infamous for weight gain issues?

I'm not surprised ... I've heard this before from others.  You might have lost some water weight also though, and if you have become inactive you might have lost a little muscle also.

Unfortunately for me clozaril messed up my eating (sugar cravings like crazy), and I gained A LOT of weight.  When I stopped taking it a couple months later, the problem I had that never went away was the over-eating, for which I now require another med to help control it. 

I dont know if I've lost water weight or not - it's certainly not from low carbing or anything like that. But yeah, clozaril made me have SUPER sugar cravings, which have only gotten better, not gone away. My pdoc understood, but when I tried explaining it to a family member, they didn't get it - they were all like "just use willpower" and I'm like...you don't fucking understand. This is not like any food cravings I've ever had. You don't want it...you NEED it...you wake up and the first thing that goes through your head is "I need something sweet RIGHT NOW".... I have never experienced something like that in my WHOLE LIFE!! It was CRAZY!! Welp, I've somehow managed to lose another 3lbs in 5hrs. I don't understand, frankly. 14lbs in less than 7 full days. Christ. Even when I was eating ridiculously low calories, I never lost like this, even before clozaril. It's isn't me not eating, because my tooth infection is on the mend - yesterday, I ate a good deal of chicken and rice with a sweetish sauce, some homemade mac and cheese with chicken and bacon in it (not a lot), like 3 6oz cups of greek yogurt, probably like a cup or maybe a tad bit more of super caloric ice cream. I'm probably forgetting something else as well. So it's not like I'm not eating. I don't understand how it's physically possible for me to lose so much weight so fast, because even before clozaril, I struggled with it!

I wouldn't say I'm more inactive, even with the infection. On the clozaril, I was sleeping like, a minimum of 12hrs, but usually more - often 18+ hours a day. I was REALLY inactive. I'm awake much more this past week, even with the infection thing. So I don't think I've lost muscle from inactivity over the past week.

Edited by Postictal

My pdoc understood, but when I tried explaining it to a family member, they didn't get it - they were all like "just use willpower" and I'm like...you don't fucking understand. This is not like any food cravings I've ever had. You don't want it...you NEED it...you wake up and the first thing that goes through your head is "I need something sweet RIGHT NOW".... I have never experienced something like that in my WHOLE LIFE!! It was CRAZY!!

I totally know what you mean; I went through this same thing.  This was why I had to go on naltrexone.  

Have you gotten your thyroid checked?  I've had hyperthyroidism and the same type of thing happened to me, where it was almost too easy to lose weight.

I have the opposite - hypothyroidism. Been on the same dose for like 2 years. Had my thyroid checked about a month and a half ago, it was normal. On the lowish end of normal, even (though not by much, close to middle).

When I weighed on the 16th, I was 245-ish (245 or 243, can't remember!). This morning I am 227. Dayuuuum.

Edited by Postictal