CrazyBoards.org

Provigil

Adnama

Doc put me on provigil when I was in the hospital (in addition to effexor, remoron, depakote, and klonopin) and I'm just wondering if anyone else's doc has pushed this on them as an almost "just because."

I think his reasoning [because I don't otherwise have problems with wakefulness] is that it could give a kick start or a bost of some sort to my other meds by upping my energy. Dunno.

Any experiances? It certainly isn't hurting since I'm doing pretty well depression-wise.

I take Provigil to promote wakefulness because of the extreme drowsiness I get from taking Seroquel.

Having more energy, and I am assuming for you the ability to get more things done, can help when it comes to helping lift a depression. I know it helps me feel more useful.

Adding another medication that you feel may be "just because," I think you need to make that decision and talk it over with your pdoc.

• 3 weeks later...

I take Provigil to help counteract Lithium sedation BUT I have noticed that it definitely also adds an anti-depressant effect. Perhaps that is what your pdoc was thinking? I, personally, have noticed no side effects and I take the max - 400 mg/day.

• 5 weeks later...

Let's see...

Depression in BPII = sedation

Depakote = sedation

Effexor = sedation in some

Remeron = huge-ass sedation (and you might literally get a huge ass, w/its weight gain tendencies)

The only things you have counteracting it are Topamax (might or might not do the trick) and Wellbutrin (also doesn't activate 100% of the time).

So, your doc putting you on Provigil isn't all that illogical (though it's the first time I've heard of someone being on Provigil and Wellbutrin at the same time... fortunately <warning, major dorkage ahead> Provigil is only known to hit the alpha-2 adrenergic receptors and we have no fucking idea how Wellbutrin works, as the PI sheet has no idea and I'm not about to search PubMed.

If I were you, I'd only be concerned about getting overstimulated with the Provigil/WB combination and kicked into hypomania.  That's something to bring up with the doc.

I took Wellbutrin and Provigil for years, no problem. As always, YMMV. I also took Adderall in combination with the Wellbutrin and Provigil.

Provigil I take to combat the Seroquel which has turned me into a zombie. I don't notice any direct mood enhancement effect from the Provigil. What I do notice, is that Provigil lets me feel awake, allows me to get something done during the day. Getting something done, accomplishing something, makes me feel better. In other words, Provigil helps me wake up and maintain alertness so I can be, at least, semi-productive. Provigil promotes wakefulness and having the energy to do something during the day makes me feel like I am not a bump on a log, indirectly it helps fight depression because I feel better when I can see results from something I have accomplished during the day.

Wellbutrin and Provigil -- I hadn't realized that was the combo. I don't want to discount either (again, I'm a pretty big Provigil fan) but I had a series of seizures while on the two. My neurologist feels it was ultimately the Wellbutrin's fault (I have since stopped it) but I think he and my pdoc felt the combo with Provigil made it worse. Just my experience - I'd hate for anyone to go through seizures - I can't remember a THING from about a week around that time and it's just plain scary.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was prescribed Provigil because I had the kind of depression where you sleep all day. I liked Provigil's affect on my alertness and focus. I was doing well when I could ignore the migraines it gave me. ;)

No more Provigil, no more migraines.

Archived