CrazyBoards.org

Hi. You're likely to get more responses if we put this in the lifestyle section. I know that there are other vegans on the boards but I am not sure that they come by the schizophrenia board. They may be diagnosed with something else.

As a result I'm moving this.

I've tried to be vegan but I have too little say in my life as my employer feeds us (or sometimes strands us without food). I went to McDondald's for the first time in 15 years a couple of days ago because it was the only option on that stretch of highway. I hope that when I start school in September that I'll have more control that way again.

I've been vegan for most of the past 8 or 9 years (there have been some periods where I've returned to a vegetarian, but still -mostly- vegan diet for various reasons...)

For me I really don't think it helps my MI. I actually think it may hurt my MI to some degree. I have a really bad habit of not eating enough protein. When I don't get enough protein, my depression flares up.

it helps my physical health quite a bit, which, in turn helps my mental health, but i wouldn't say it has had a direct positive impact on my mental health. one thing i think it's important to be mindful of is that a proper, healthy vegan diet is super beneficial but an unhealthy, junk-filled diet is bad for you whether or not you eat meat and eggs. 

Edited by cosima
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Vegan for over 25 years!!! It's the best ever. It's kind of also the worst ever as as an ethical vegan (actually if your not ethical vegan, you're plant based, but whatever...) as cruelty is everywhere. I've also been crazy for 30+ years, so I don't know if veganism helps with being crazy, but I'm still alive despite being deliriously suicidal, so maybe...It's not about us anyway. It's about the trillion of sentient beings slaughtered in the US alone for no other reason than bits of their bodies taste good covered in a sweet sauce.

• Like 2

Veganism, although primarily healthy, is more about ethics than diet IMO. I'm against the mass-produce slaughter houses and how animals are treated during the process, but I'm all for eating animals. I'm a big believer in knowing where your meat comes from and how it's treated and "processed", and I am grateful to animals when I eat them. But I still think animal meat helps give your body the right kinds of fats and proteins that lack in substitutes. 

In general, ethical veganism or not, eating less crap and more real food is both physically and mentally healthy. You put crap in your body, then it uses crap to fuel you, which makes you feel like crap. 

I like this a lot: Eat less (CRAP) (C) carbonated drinks (R) refined sugar (A) artificial sweetener and colors (P) processed foods. Eat more (FOOD) (F) fruits and vegetables (O) organic lean proteins (O) omega 3 fatty acids (D) drink water.

I started "clean eating" a few months ago, and find even when you just eliminate refined sugars/simple carbs and eating whole grains/complex carbs has made a HUGE difference in my energy levels and squashed my feelings of constant malaise. It's no miracle cure for anxiety and depression by any means, but it's definitely a part of my mental health treatment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloane said:

Veganism, although primarily healthy, is more about ethics than diet IMO. I'm against the mass-produce slaughter houses and how animals are treated during the process, but I'm all for eating animals. I'm a big believer in knowing where your meat comes from and how it's treated and "processed", and I am grateful to animals when I eat them. But I still think animal meat helps give your body the right kinds of fats and proteins that lack in substitutes. 

Eatwild.com and localharvest.org are good resources for finding locally-raised meat that's treated humanely and raised sustainably. There you can find farmers/ranchers who raise their animals on pasture and allow them to forage, including some who use rotational grazing practices à la Joel Salatin's Polyface Farms. You will pay more for meat and eggs produced this way, of course. You might also be forced to buy whole chickens rather than boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or large quantities of beef or pork that you will need to freeze. But you may also be able to find individual cuts from some of these places at local grocery stores or farmers markets, making it more accessible for individuals, small families, and/or those who don't have a lot of freezer space.

http://www.eatwild.com

http://www.localharvest.org

Edited by Flash

Thank you, Flash! That's helpful I'll check those out.

Sadly eating clean is often more expensive, which is why I don't judge people who don't. Low-cost food and access is key for many (rather most) people, and unfortunately big companies take a lot of shortcuts in production and health.

I have been vegetarian since I was ten years old and vegan for a few months.

I can't really say that it has helped my mental health as I have been eating a vegetarian diet for so long that I hardly know anything else. Continuing on to veganism hasn't made any noticeable difference.

The others are correct, I think, in that in terms of health (leaving out ethics which are my own reason for eating a vegan diet) it is usually more the overall quality and nutrition of all the food you are eating that matters than eating or not eating a particular part of the diet like meat, unless you have an allergy or intolerance. I do notice that becoming vegetarian or vegan often seems to make people think more in-depth about their food choices and make healthier ones as a whole. Whichever way, it is great that you've found it to help you so much; keep going. :)

There is one thing that we really need to watch out for as vegans, which is Vitamin B12 deficiency. It is hard for people who eat no animal products to get through diet alone, without supplementation, and can have serious effects (many of them affecting the nervous system, and severe deficiency in itself can cause or exacerbate depression or psychosis.) You can't overdose on it so a supplement cannot hurt. I was found to be severely deficient and have an injection of it every three months now. 

Edited by amianthus