CrazyBoards.org

I have been soooooo irritable lately. With my kids and husband especially. I don't scream at them or anything but I don't have any patience and I snap at them. I've not been thinking really clearly so could it be part of that? Also I just started Zyprexa so it could maybe be related? I don't know what to do and I hate feeling this way and I hate that my family has to put up with me like this. Any suggestions?

I really struggle with irritability as my initial symptom for everything. I test myself to see if I'm irritable in a normal way or not normal way. I clap my hands really hard/loudly and then drop something on the floor. If I feel like tearing down the house with rage at the very sound of those noises/disturbances, then I know this is not a normal irritability. My psychiatrist prescribed me prn seroquel to ease the intensity of it. Basically, the rule goes: If my anger disproportionate to the trigger that caused it (IE rage over a dropped pencil), then best to be safe and take a bit of quetiapine. 

If it's just normal irritability, largely situational, I won't have that beast rising up from within me just because I heard a noise or dropped something. 

Good luck with things. Ask your psychiatrist about it too. They might have ideas on how to ease it like mine did.

Have you talked to your husband and kids about what you are going through, and that you apologize about (insert what you want to)?

I've gotten real irritable with my mother over things like 'I need to go NOW' type-things.  And she'll say, " why are you so irritable?" and that kind of bring things into perspective and I eventually apologize to her.

I'm sorry melissa. I get irritable with my mom sometimes, too, and like your situation, she does a lot for me. Maybe this will get better soon.

I hope it gets better soon also, for both of us.  The only way I can see to get at least a little better is to take meds/therapy and over time, things will calm down.  Unfortunately it is part of my personality to have to things NOW, and if I can't go somewhere or I have to wait (what I consider to be unreasonably long time) I can get angry.  The good part for me is that it has gotten better over the years.  I think as the years go by, I have a different perspective on things.  I'm definitely better than I was years ago, but still have a lot to learn.