CrazyBoards.org

I'm not sure if I want to let my delusions go

Don't get me wrong I really hate them as they take up a lot of time (it's like a full time job having a delusion) and they cause a lot of worry and anxiety but I know how the ones I have work and why I have them and if these ones go I'm worried what the next delusions could be - I may not like them but I'm used to the ones I have and I don't know how I would manage having to cope with new delusions. Of course I might not get another delusion but I'm being realistic here and with this disorder it's pretty much a given that they're going to make an appearance. Does anyone else ever feel the same about delusions and letting go of them?

FWIW Mine haven't changed with time, just how much I believe in them. At the moment, I have a lot of doubt and can put them aside, but I am not 100% sure they are not true. I haven't truly let them go, I just go with consensus reality more. I don't know what others do.

I hate them too and know also how much time they can consume. It is like a job. It is never ending. I wish I could kick them for good but thoughts are always being put in my head and I can't control that at all. I can sometimes put them out of my head briefly but they sneak back in. I want to let mine go but can't.

I finally let my delusions go, but it wasn't easy.  I still have days though where I wonder about them and how the "people" are doing (who were in the delusions).  I feel tempted to summon them back sometimes but if I distract myself I eventually don't feel like it.  I still feel like cameras are watching me everywhere, but I don't think specifically about it anymore.  I loved that life.

But I'm into reality right now, and don't want to slip back into the other life.  It seemed to get me into a lot of trouble and I don't want to deal with all of that again.

I think I've gotten so used to having them that if they were no longer there I think I'd feel a little lost.

I can really relate to this.  It happened to me when I got some reality checks that the delusions weren't real, plus I went on meds/adjusted doses.  It was so hard, and I felt lost, transitioning from my "life" of delusions to reality and the real world.  It was very hard to let go of all I knew for many many years.  All I can say is that it takes time to get used to.  I can't remember anything specific that I did to transition other than give it time.  But I agree, when the delusions were gone, at first it made me very lost.  I found my way though.  I think you can too.

• Like 1

I think I've gotten so used to having them that if they were no longer there I think I'd feel a little lost.

I can really relate to this.  It happened to me when I got some reality checks that the delusions weren't real, plus I went on meds/adjusted doses.  It was so hard, and I felt lost, transitioning from my "life" of delusions to reality and the real world.  It was very hard to let go of all I knew for many many years.  All I can say is that it takes time to get used to.  I can't remember anything specific that I did to transition other than give it time.  But I agree, when the delusions were gone, at first it made me very lost.  I found my way though.  I think you can too.

I hope I can find my way too but I know it's going to take time, effort, therapy and medication.